Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?  (Read 13001 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2006, 08:51:15 pm »

Japanese also lets you play video games that English-speakers will never be able to enjoy.

But if you try to learn Japanese for this reason or a similar one, you are doomed to failure. DOOMED.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2006, 08:52:17 pm »

yeah. the japanese class I sat in on was half Actual Japanese-Americans, and half obnoxious gamer or otaku-types.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2006, 09:13:07 pm »

yeah. the japanese class I sat in on was half Actual Japanese-Americans, and half obnoxious gamer or otaku-types.

That's part of the reason I never took Japanese. The other part is that my school's version was seven (7) credits! Way too much time for me to spend on what was basically a lark.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2006, 12:19:56 am »

yeah. the japanese class I sat in on was half Actual Japanese-Americans, and half obnoxious gamer or otaku-types.

The key, if you are an obnoxious otaku-type or have motivations similar to one, is to lie blatantly about your motivations. Remember, your motivation is that you "find the language fascinating." You can also get away with an interest in actual Japanese literature and film (I knew a dude whose cover story was that he wanted to watch Ozu films in the original language) if you keep the dorkout down. This is important, because as much as we joke about it, it's the truth: if Japanese professors figure out that you are in it for the dork cred, they will DESTROY YOU. (The only exception I've ever known was a prof who was himself a huge dork.)
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 08:33:01 pm »

a bit from someone's blog about learning Japanese.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2006, 05:06:11 pm »

a bit from someone's blog about learning Japanese.

A+++++ would read again. Excellent guide from a dude who's clearly been in the trenches. If you want a feel for things, this is a good place to start.
Logged

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2006, 05:38:01 pm »

I took 4 years of japanese in high school.  The only thing I can think of that would be harder for a westerner would be Chinese. 

*shudder*
Super high emphasis on enunciation.  Non-standard assimilation of foreign word vocabulary.  Chinese just basically one big cluster-fuck, as I view it.

I really want to learn farsi, though.

-
Psych is fun, I'm doing my undergraduate in it because it's so fuck*ng easy.  Using my inflated GPA to get into law school.  Or living in a van down by the river.
Logged
R U Passionate??

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 06:02:18 am »

A+++++ would read again. Excellent guide from a dude who's clearly been in the trenches. If you want a feel for things, this is a good place to start.

I only got partway through his tutorial and then got distacted. I guess I am not Good Enough to learn the language. This made me laugh my ass off, though: http://www.peterpayne.net/2003/03/funny-engrish-quotes-from-my-japanese.html

Koji's story
One day I saw many people around my house. Under the pale moon, we started fighting. Then suddenly, God came, I said "What the fack?" and he said to us, "Hi guys, stop fighting!" We said "FUCK YOU." All of us were killed in a moment.

Keiko
I like Edward's [Edward Scizorhands] character (his cute behavior). He is very poor. Because his hands are scissors, he injure his dear person. He is a kind person. I wish he gave human hands.

Noriko
America's road is wide, and fares of taxi, bus, airplane etc. are cheap. But America is dangerous. Because U.S. popularize weapons and drugs. But I don't go dangerous place, like slums. I can almost avoid from danger.

EDIT.... had to add more because I am scaring my cats from laughing so much

Tomo
When I was in high school, my favorite subject was English because my English teacher was a young, beautiful, tasty hot woman, that's why.

Sanae
I think Americans, especially politicians, think that Japanese are yellow rich monkeys and not kind people. Country is rich but people are not rich. I don't want them to think that. I think Japan is hated by other country.

Koji
I think the greatest Japanese who ever lived was Ultraman. When I was a child, I watched him every day. He was a hero to me. Whenever there was a dinosaur, Ultraman killed him for the world.

Yoshinori
Women don't have the ability on average. If someone say to woman, "bring the desk," women can't bring it. But in family, women have to be more aggressive. Because weak mother will spoil children.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:13:08 am by linnea »
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 10:49:31 am »

Tomo
When I was in high school, my favorite subject was English because my English teacher was a young, beautiful, tasty hot woman, that's why.

There's something very comforting about other people being so confident in expressing their love for their young, beautiful, tasty hot teachers.

(David Lee Roth doesn't count)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 05:53:12 pm »

so, now I'm in this rediculous thing where daily I go back and forth between Arabic and Italian as my language. hm.

also: I love those quotes to death. Ultraman is my favorite.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 06:02:21 pm »

Koji
I think the greatest Japanese who ever lived was Ultraman. When I was a child, I watched him every day. He was a hero to me. Whenever there was a dinosaur, Ultraman killed him for the world.

I don't think that anyone can dispute Ultraman's greatness and contributions to the world, but can he really be considered a Japanese citizen if he never lived there for more than three minutes at a time? Beyond that, Earth's polluted atmosphere would have destroyed his strength.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 04:32:15 am »

Quote from: Yoshinori
If someone say to woman, "bring the desk," women can't bring it.

Someone hasn't seen enough teenage girl movies.  No one brings it like an American teenage girl in a montage with a hot soundtrack.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2006, 09:20:03 pm »

so, I got my 2 arabic textbooks and my 3 latin books today.

I am basically terrified of both classes. But, also, excited. Placing into Latin 300-something is kind of scary. Arabic writing is intimidating.

But also, I'm taking Film, and a music class. and psych. It will be awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up