Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Meal  (Read 9272 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Last Meal
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2006, 04:24:37 am »

oh man, that is such good short film. it would be so black and white, and pretentious, and great.

I'm sorry. I'm still at the point of my life where I think things like that are awesome.


but maybe you do too?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Last Meal
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2006, 05:09:08 am »

Not only black and white but silent. Preferably 1950s era.
The man wears a fedora, the government official is dressed something like a parking inspector and wears a sensible mustache.
As he hands the sandwich to the man the woman in a bonnet sitting next to him clasps a hand over her mouth to stifle a gasp.
The man looks to the sandwich and then the official, no words are exchanged only a brief nod of thanks on the part of a man, recognition of a hard job done well.
He takes a bite.
Fin.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Last Meal
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2006, 10:54:09 am »

You must be a fine playwright, Mel. Well I mean of course I knew you were, but to see you carve emotion out of a message board post like that is pretty sweet.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Last Meal
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 02:43:48 pm »

mel-- I am even more impressed with your Playwright-itude because yesterday a guy told us how Hard it is to be a playwright, and how much horrible crap must go down, and how unfortunate the Lifestyle often is.

This man was Lewis Black. It was Mr. Lewis Black, who I shook the hand of, and got him to sign a piece of paper. Unfortunately, my camera was in my car (I got a ride there with a friend).

I am sorry that this was a tenuous link. I just wanted to bring up that I got to See Him and Shake his Hand.

But for real, he did say that writing sucks, and playwrighting sucks even more. And that you have to really love it to stick with it, etc. So props to Smells.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 02:56:41 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Last Meal
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2006, 03:16:18 pm »

mel-- I am even more impressed with your Playwright-itude because yesterday a guy told us how Hard it is to be a playwright, and how much horrible crap must go down, and how unfortunate the Lifestyle often is.

This man was Lewis Black. It was Mr. Lewis Black, who I shook the hand of, and got him to sign a piece of paper. Unfortunately, my camera was in my car (I got a ride there with a friend).

I am sorry that this was a tenuous link. I just wanted to bring up that I got to See Him and Shake his Hand.

But for real, he did say that writing sucks, and playwrighting sucks even more. And that you have to really love it to stick with it, etc. So props to Smells.

I hate to derail things even more, but...

theinev - it is a staggeringly small world:  I know Lewis' son Ryan Black, who performed in my first dramaturge Ian Ross' play "FarWel" about 12 years ago, and Lewis' granddaughter Mary, who is 12 and was in a play I produced last year.  I've never met Lewis, but whenever I see him on T.V. I can't help but think of his son and grand daughter and how much both of them look like him.

Anyway, yeah, writing - and especially playwriting- takes a lot of serious thought and care.  Most of the time I spend here on the board is the time I'm actually spending in my head trying to solve issues with the script.  It's getting there though.  I was re-reading it yesterday after some serious re-writes, and at 67 pages and growing, there are large chunks that I think are working pretty well.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Last Meal
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2006, 03:38:13 pm »

good. it is good that your writing is going well.

his sage advice to my friend: "if you don't start out doing what you want to do, you're fucked. If you do what you want to do, you'll eventually end up finding a way to make it work." and then some stuff about how at first he wanted to write books, then he wanted to write plays, then he wanted to be a comedian, etc.

his advice to me: "wait. wait. you're getting a book signed for a guy who isnt' here, and a piece of paper for yourself? screw him! take the book!"

the worst part is, the other guy is a guy who I basically hate. But I am a Man of Honor, and the fellow who was originally supposed to get the signature for him asked me to please get it as a favor. So I did.

"To Daniel-- Lewis Black"
best signature ever.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Last Meal
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2006, 04:13:23 pm »

good. it is good that your writing is going well.

his sage advice to my friend: "if you don't start out doing what you want to do, you're fucked. If you do what you want to do, you'll eventually end up finding a way to make it work." and then some stuff about how at first he wanted to write books, then he wanted to write plays, then he wanted to be a comedian, etc.

his advice to me: "wait. wait. you're getting a book signed for a guy who isnt' here, and a piece of paper for yourself? screw him! take the book!"

the worst part is, the other guy is a guy who I basically hate. But I am a Man of Honor, and the fellow who was originally supposed to get the signature for him asked me to please get it as a favor. So I did.

"To Daniel-- Lewis Black"
best signature ever.

I assume this was his book Nothing's Sacred. He came to the bookstore up the street when that was released (this was also the day before he was at the Congressional Correspondents Dinner and he was nervous as hell. He said the same thing about being fucked (re: him being a bad playwright). Then during the Q&A one woman just says, "hi Lewis, remember me?" It was his senior prom date.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up