Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006  (Read 6415 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr. Chord

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 24
  • Cheshire smirk
    • View Profile

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07122006

FINALLY! A strip that isn't an hour of dialogue and witticisms. This may mark a return to classic Achewood.

Understatement and discretion were the mark of classic Achewood. I like the idea that Onstad's been trying to set new goals for himself, with more involved storylines. But it's nice to find a strip that it's in the spirit of what drew me to Achewood.
Logged
---

I had to get out of there. I took the stairs.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:50:04 am »

Okay, finally, I laughed. Thanks, Onstad.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:27:23 am »

Have you ever noticed that all of the Achewood characters have the exact same handwriting? Oddly enough, their handwriting is identical to that of Onstad, as seen in the book inscriptions and what have you. I wonder what could possibly be the reason for this.

Trying to put two and two together...

...trying so hard...

...GAH!

I can't do it. This shall forever remain a mystery, lost to the annals of Internet lore.

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:51:34 am »

wow that's a good point melack thanks for that
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 10:11:52 am »

Damn! I was just about to start a thread asking for Leonard Cohen album recommendations, as my knowledge of his stuff is embarrassingly limited. Thanks, Onstad!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 10:19:17 am »

Not Famous Blue Raincoat?


Er right, anyway, as to this comic YES.  Very Beef-esque, but I'm also more intrigued that Ray's Gym has a "Guest Day" that Beef goes to use.  I mean.. doesn't he live in the poolhouse?  Isn't he a friend?

This is, of course, Ray we're talking about so it doesn't really surprise me.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:19:29 pm »

I kind of figured the Gym is actually in Ray's house and having a 'guest day' is just his fancy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 12:25:22 pm »

I kind of figured the Gym is actually in Ray's house and having a 'guest day' is just his fancy.

Oh as did I.  It's just:

"Hey, you know that Wednesday's are Guest Days at my Gym?"
"You own a gym?"
"Well not in its own building."
"You mean the workout room in your actual, real house?  The house whose pool shed I live in?"
"Well.. yeah.."


I mean, it seems so... stuck up?  But knowing it's Ray I imagine him being all magnanimous about it and not knowing any better.  Like a kitten proud of doing something wrong.  "Look at how high I climbed on the drapes!"  Or a person for that matter, "Wow Officer did you see how fast I was going?!"  All smiling so you can't really hold it against him.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 12:36:50 pm by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 01:15:09 pm »

I suspect the guest issue is a finely constructed lie used to keep Pat and his disgusting abs away from Ray's house.

Edit: Molly is the sort of girl that wears a thumb ring.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 01:57:26 pm »

I'm guessing that the subject line here was from an earlier incarnation of the alt-text?

Or were you just quoting the lyrics from Suzanne without quoting anything from the strip?

Anyway, this is the worst workout music ever.  However, I will try Suzanne on repeat during my workout today.

I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS WORKS OUT

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 01:59:51 pm »

I am now prepared to defend Molly to the death next time someone calls her a bitch.  Can you imagine living with the guy who would make that tape?  She's a saint, people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 02:00:31 pm »

I am now prepared to defend Molly to the death next time someone calls her a bitch.  Can you imagine living with the guy who would make that tape?  She's a saint, people.


...still a bitch.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 02:31:10 pm »

a saintly one?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 02:41:10 pm »

http://www.last.fm/user/jough/

You've just lost your rights to bitch about anyone writing fanfic ever again.  I hope you enjoyed this. 

Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up