Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...  (Read 9542 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2003, 08:46:06 pm »

Jough, did you play together with Onstad as a child?  Did he take away your favorite ball or chew toy?  Almost every post you make that mentions his name tries to bring him down hard, real personal-style, as if you had suffered some deep emotional hurt at his hands sometime in the past -- like a jilted bride who keeps the almost-used wedding veil in her living room on a dressform as a constant reminder of the suffering she endured at the hands of That Damn Bastard.  Please -- let it go.  Come into the light.  It's not only dark where you are, it smells of moldy cardboard and long-nursed bitterness.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2003, 08:55:38 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
Jough, did you play together with Onstad as a child?  Did he take away your favorite ball or chew toy?


That damn sand box again!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2003, 09:01:08 pm »

I knew Onstad in college.  He stole my girl once, and I've never forgiven him for it.  Oh wait.  No, I stole *his* girl.  Then I left her duct-taped to the radiator.

Man, I'd forgotten all about that.  I feel so much better now.

I'M SO GLAD WE HAVE THIS BOARD SO WE CAN EXORCISE OUR PERSONAL DEMONS.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2003, 09:11:03 pm »

I'm making my personal demons do 45 minutes on the elliptical machine, then we're throwing a medicine ball back and forth for a while.  We may take up Pilates next week.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2003, 10:04:55 pm »

If you can make your personal demons exercise that much, let me know if you can figure out how to get them to do the cooking and cleaning.  Mine are sure not pulling their damn weight around here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2003, 04:09:11 am »

Well, the past week or so, they've just been eating and drinking a lot, so I've gotta motivate 'em back to the gym post haste.

I've never had much luck with trying to make my demons do much cleaning.  Nobody has to force them to cook -- they like that too much.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 07:19:23 am »

I dont see why people spend so much time on this board if all they are gonna do is bitch about onstad. Onstad doesnt even read it. its like shooting a defensless giraffe in the back. with a water gun. in front of a bunch of people who admire the giraffe. or at least enjoy the things the giraffe produces...

Seriously I read like half of this thread and it was all wasting my time and I was all wishing the mods had deleted it so I could have read a thread that had any pertinence to achewood at all.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2003, 05:57:54 pm »

At least doomglobe is on board my bus.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2003, 06:00:56 pm »

I think you mean he's "riding" your "caboose."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2003, 07:41:24 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
At least doomglobe is on board my bus.


<insert short bus joke here>

Just joking.  I love all you cynical, jaded hipsters.  You're my respective cups of teas.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2003, 08:14:49 pm »

Although I agree the thread may not be constructive, it's well within everyone's right to opine.

You said yourself Onstad doesn't read the board. If the giraffe isn't in the pond and everyone's shooting into the pond, no harm done to the 'defenseless' non-existent giraffe. I suppose any message board discussing international politics should disband because Yasser Arafat doesn't read it. We have threads that mention the Ramones and Johnny Cash. Also useless by the same test, I guess.

My suggestion would be to get on that bus you say you are on and either smoke something that mellows you out, or drive it to a thread you like.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 08:33:06 pm »

Quote from: "doomglobe"
its like shooting a defensless giraffe in the back. with a water gun. in front of a bunch of people who admire the giraffe. or at least enjoy the things the giraffe produces...

This analogy is so convoluted that it twists around into the fourth dimension and thus is frighteningly awesome.

That's really all I have to say on this one.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 08:58:37 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Although I agree the thread may not be constructive, it's well within everyone's right to opine.

There's a difference between talking about the man's work and making poor, vicious jokes about the man's personal life.  That shit is low-class and would not fly on any sort of message board I know of (and I'm on about twelve).  I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this pattern; I just wanted to call it out and see if anyone else would say anything.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2003, 09:19:42 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
There's a difference between talking about the man's work and making poor, vicious jokes about the man's personal life.  That shit is low-class and would not fly on any sort of message board I know of (and I'm on about twelve).  I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this pattern; I just wanted to call it out and see if anyone else would say anything.


Is it really that big a deal, given that it's all in a light-hearted fashion and the giraffe isn't here?
Jeeez.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2003, 09:32:21 pm »

Well, I for one have been thinking there is too much meanness on the board lately, but I haven't been able to think of a way to say it that didn't sound all Phillippe and naive.  But, if someone finds a person's work interesting enough to post on a messageboard that entirely owes its existence to that person's work, why would they feel the need to express so much personal hostility?  Even as a joke? I don't get it. Is it some kind of guy thing, how you can only show you like someone by punching them?

And, you don't know that Onstad doesn't read it.  It's the internet, anyone can be reading anything.

OK, fine, I guess I need to go put on my Batman pajamas and find someone to read me a soothing bedtime story now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up