Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...  (Read 9518 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mimosa VII

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2003, 09:38:05 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "ferocious j"
There's a difference between talking about the man's work and making poor, vicious jokes about the man's personal life.  That shit is low-class and would not fly on any sort of message board I know of (and I'm on about twelve).  I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this pattern; I just wanted to call it out and see if anyone else would say anything.


Is it really that big a deal, given that it's all in a light-hearted fashion and the giraffe isn't here?
Jeeez.


Well, at least it's annoying and kind of disturbing. If you hate Achewood and Onstad so much why are you on this messageboard, why do you host it? I feel just like Doomglobe in this respect. By the way, why does everyone seem to think the donations button means Onstad is broke?

Edit: I shouldn't have bothered with that post as Wombat put it much better at the same time. I feel the same way.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2003, 09:38:26 pm »

Would 'Goodnight Moon' be acceptable?
Logged
goose means greedy

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2003, 09:41:15 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Would 'Goodnight Moon' be acceptable?


I think "In the Night Kitchen" would be most appropriate to my role here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2003, 10:17:49 pm »

Quote from: "Mimosa VII"
If you hate Achewood and Onstad so much why are you on this messageboard, why do you host it? I feel just like Doomglobe in this respect. By the way, why does everyone seem to think the donations button means Onstad is broke?


Well, I don't by any means hate Onstad or Achewood. And have on many occasions actually protected the guys hostile reactions to things, since I would act in much the same way.
The only thing I have ever been nasty about here is the VH, which in my opinion sucked.
And I said on commenting on the Paypal button that I was probably just being cynical. And anyway, why else would he be asking for money? If he's not broke then it's a bit underhanded asking for money when he sells merchandise surely?

And anyway, it's all getting too damn serious again...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2003, 10:22:00 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Although I agree the thread may not be constructive, it's well within everyone's right to opine.

There's a difference between talking about the man's work and making poor, vicious jokes about the man's personal life.  That shit is low-class and would not fly on any sort of message board I know of (and I'm on about twelve).


This is a point well taken - it goes to what you might call 'community standards' and who sets them. There are probably white supremacist message boards that say lots of objectionable things, but the majority of them and/or the owner of the board sort of drive the standard.  And nice people like you and me don't go there because it's not our thing. Yes, people say mean things here. I've taken many of the 'mean' things said here in the context of the person speakings personality. And the fact that I have read every post here from day one and I'm just now getting a bead on some people's personality. I haven't seen anything that really bothers me in terms of an attack yet. My sensitivity level to that sort of thing isn't as high as some others here.

Is the shit (as defined above) low-class? Yup. Would it not fly on other message boards? Maybe not. It's all good until the board owner or the mods say otherwise. The rest of us can pipe up or vote with our feet, but it really isn't a democracy when you get down to it. It could, however be a board with only mods and an owner... If people don't like it enough to leave.

I'm staying.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2003, 10:26:54 pm »

I see no reason to stick your tongue up a man's ass just because you like his work.

I mean, if you are hoping Onstad may notice you defending him and visit you to give you many smooches, that's up to you.  I don't think anyone has once made fun of your sycophantic crush on Onstad (albeit mostly because it's just sad).

I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's not above criticism.  All art is subject to debate and criticism.  This is how the world works.  Hate to be the one to break it to you.

WELCOME TO HUMANITY

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2003, 10:31:11 pm »

I'm the bus DRIVER
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2003, 11:26:36 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
 I don't think anyone has once made fun of your sycophantic crush on Onstad (albeit mostly because it's just sad).

I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's not above criticism.  All art is subject to debate and criticism.


I totally deny this, I am SO OVER him... mostly.

I don't think anyone is above criticism.  It's just a question of tone.

I think it's time to crawl back to my burrow now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2003, 11:32:38 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I see no reason to stick your tongue up a man's ass just because you like his work.

At no point was this ever suggested by me, either literally or figuratively.  In fact, on the converse side, I see no reason to constantly bag on the guy just because he isn't producing work you enjoy.  How about a modicum of respect?  Wouldn't you say that's deserved?

Quote from: "jough"
I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's not above criticism.  All art is subject to debate and criticism.  This is how the world works.  Hate to be the one to break it to you.

There is a clear and discernible difference between talking shit about a man's work and cracking wise about how his wife is leaving him.  

The former: Talking shit about the guy's work.  A reasonable thing to do in the context of criticism of a work of art.
The latter: Talking shit about the guy/his personal life.  In my view, not a reasonable thing to do anywhere except maybe on the playground when you're six.

A lot of your posts have been full of the latter type of material as well as the former.  I understand people like to criticize, but criticism that includes childish ad-hominem attacks for no apparent reason is fuck*ng lame.  If you're seriously unable to make this mental distinction, I can't help you.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

V-Adore

  • Guest
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2003, 01:33:48 am »

Honestly? My thoughts on the matter:

1) Ad hominem attack on Onstad is not rad, but...
2) I was not under the impression that anybody was doing it in a way intended as anything beyond spoof at this point.
Also,
3) It really hasn't reached a point that complaining about it is anything other than counterproductive to the purpose of this boards, which includes discussion and consideration of Achewood.

That said...
4) I call "Hawkwind Mythology" as either about a band or as a sad remnant of Lyle's adolescence, where he probably spent a couple of months playing D&D and smoking weed. And eventually discarding the D&D.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2003, 01:43:05 am »

The way I see it, some people are just jerks, and some otherwise nice people act like jerks every now and then, and no matter what you do or say, when you put enough monkeys together in a room, some poo is going to get flung.  You can be insulted and you can be pissed off, but if you're in the room, you're still going to be covered in poo.  

While I think that Jough pushes the envelope sometimes, the truth of the matter is that if you hang around long enough you learn not to believe anything he says and you just take it all with a grain of salt.  Yeah, I think joking about someone's personal trauma, real or (as in this case) imagined, is in poor taste, well, you just can't tell people what they can and can't think.  

What you can do, however, is lock the hell out of threads.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up