Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NYC Caricatures  (Read 2384 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
NYC Caricatures
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:27:57 am »

I have walked passed caricature artists many times before, in the past, labelling the patrons as "corny-ass-tourists."

But today - perhaps, it was the drink - two of my boys and I, while celebrating a friend's girlfriend's birthday, were enticed into posing for a caricature.  Never before had I realized the inherent hilariousness of watching buddies's caricatures be drawn.  Worth every cent, even if they try to tack on the "frame" price.




I came out incredibly accurate, while other's likenesses were represented piss-poorly.

, but still hilarious, don't get me wrong.
Logged
ACHIEVE

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:53:32 am »

Ok:  right now, I regret what I did, but if I went, right now, and looked at the picture, I'd be thinking, 'this is so awesome.'
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 12:03:51 pm »

I will never be able to be OK with a caricature after I saw the one they did of my little sister. It was as if the man did not know how to draw a 10 year old girl, so he made her look like she was 50. My sister does not have huge cheekbones, or a tiny mouth, or any of the things which he drew on her. And somehow, loooking at that picture made me feel all confused and upset. Hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:21:14 pm »

I got a caricature done recently when I WAS being a tourist and if nothing else I decided he got my hair exactly how I'd like to imagine it looks. Overall a good investment.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:59:05 pm »

I got a caricature done in Paris. It was a fairly good likeness, and my favourite part of the drawing was me swimming away from Iraq on a barrel of oil, sharks biting at my legs.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 02:43:57 pm »

me swimming away from Iraq on a barrel of oil, sharks biting at my legs.

I've had that dream.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 03:46:23 pm »

*****_god - I don't know what's better, drunkenly getting a caricature done, drunkenly bragging about it here, or being sober and not only realizing, but posting about your regret.  Beautiful.  Please share with us a Scan of the offending piece.

Inev:  I had a caricature of myself done when I was about 10 at Octoberfest, and it was the exact same thing - huge cheekbones, massive new-anchor-style hair and crazy eyes.  Even better, because of the event, the guy had photocopies of bodies from the neck down that were all the same, wearing (naturally) lederhosen (sp?) and the like.  Such crap.


Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 06:03:44 pm »

A company I once worked for did the outsourced support for Adobe Illustrator.   On it's 10th birthday, we received Adobe Illustrator Etch-A-Sketches, and they hired a caricature artist to come in and draw us.

I still have mine somewhere, but I hate it.  The dude drew "Bobby Hill" and handed it to me.   Looked nothing like me, and wasn't really exaggerated in any way.  Just... Bobby Hill.

Here's one done by the same artist.



Mother fucker.   I'm getting all worked up over it.   God damned Bobby Hill. 

He also did a bridge mural of a marmot.   Fucker.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 07:24:01 am »

Please share with us a Scan of the offending piece.

Very well.  Here is a comparison photo as well, making the exact same expression at the time of pose.  Yous be the judge.






The dude with huge lips was, by far, the skinniest, most cleanly shaven, and most Aryan-looking of the group, and he came out as a stubbly, turkey-necked, Latino man.  The dude with the tiny lips is a Polish dude - his characteristics came out alright, but his eyes came out looking Asian.
Logged
ACHIEVE

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 03:25:35 pm »

Actually, your caricature looks sort of like a possibly offensive drawing of a Hasidic Jew, making the whole picture look like a punchline waiting to happen.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 03:36:32 pm »

man, that man should come to our jamboree next year! we could enjoy his hi-larious racialist humor!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: NYC Caricatures
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 04:02:32 pm »

Actually, your caricature looks sort of like a possibly offensive drawing of a Hasidic Jew, making the whole picture look like a punchline waiting to happen.

Oh man smells... now I can't look at it without hearing "Why hello dere freunlaven you want mit a bagel maybe?"

Now I don't know who is more evil, you or I. 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up