Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Shirts as communication  (Read 6007 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Shirts as communication
« on: September 15, 2003, 02:28:41 am »

Today at Value Village (canadian chain of huge thrift stores), I saw a young hipster-ish guy in an explodingdog Red ***** shirt.  I was too shy to go up and compliment him on it, but it made my day.  Have any of you ever had anyone recongize you as a fellow X Internet Phenomenon geek in the real world?
Logged
goose means greedy

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Shirts as communication
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 02:29:38 am »

gar.... make that "Red #*#*#"....
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Shirts as communication
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 02:54:03 am »

It's never happened to me (I only have Achewood, Wigu, and Goats shirts, none of which have ever gotten recognition here), but it's happened in reverse -- it's very cool to see an acquaintance in a geekly shirt and give them mental props.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Shirts as communication
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 02:40:38 pm »

I've had conversations started because of a band shirt (Mary Prankster) and essentially picked a girl up because of my Tick shirt but have had no reactions yet to Todd's van or my Special Boy hoodie
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Shirts as communication
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 03:50:12 pm »

I've never had a reaction to my Science shirt, but I've practically stopped wearing my Wigu "I am made of Poison shirt" because of how many comments it gets from people who seem weirded-out by it.  I just got tired of explaining, and not well.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Shirts as communication
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 05:04:15 pm »

A while back, I noticed that a teller at the local bank had a DS comic printed out and tacked up in her workspace.  When I asked her about it, and she saw the "I'm a rocker..." sticker on my CD player, she declared me her favorite customer of the day (the bank had been open for about 10 minutes at this point).

Also, while in San Diego for a conference last month, I saw a guy with a Strongbad t-shirt in a Greek restaurant.

No comments yet on the achewood buttons on my bag, or stickers on my CD player.

I need to get over my only-wearing-t-shirts-under-button-down-shirts phase, and buy a Science shirt one of these days.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

V-Adore

  • Guest
Shirts as communication
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 06:48:48 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I've never had a reaction to my Science shirt, but I've practically stopped wearing my Wigu "I am made of Poison shirt" because of how many comments it gets from people who seem weirded-out by it.  I just got tired of explaining, and not well.

Ohhh yes. I managed to get a semi-amused/semi-confused reaction last week from a middle-aged woman about my "Ceci n'est pas une potato" shirt. The shirt itself is rad, but it doesn't tend to gather knowledgeable reactions.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Shirts as communication
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 07:05:22 pm »

That's because that shirt requires a knowledge of both Wigu AND Rene Magritte.  Not a common combination.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Shirts as communication
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 07:33:00 pm »

Yeah, I have that shirt too, and it's much safer to wear, I suppose it's too confusing for anyone to comment on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
communique
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 07:53:05 pm »

I have a ravenous eye peeled for any sign of online comic coolness manifested by any one in any way around here.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
Shirts as communication
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 11:52:22 pm »

I saw someone wearing a GET YOUR WAR ON shirt at a concert once; she wasn't alone, so I didn't talk to her
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Shirts as communication
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 02:23:23 am »

I am pondering buying a Cat and Girl Viking shirt, in the hopes that it'll increase the average recognizability of my comic shirts (well, that and that I'm going to school at the artist's alma mater, which means I feel obliged to represent). I'm not sure about it, though; maybe I should go straight to the red *#*#*?
Logged

blim8183

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mynameisben.com
Shirts as communication
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 08:39:14 pm »

My friend and I saw a guy wearing an Achewood shirt on campus and both freaked out. While we were freaking out about it he walked away though and we didn't get a chance to compliment him on the shirt.

A couple days later we e-mailed Chris Onstad about the status of our order and also mentioned seeing his merchandise around NYC and he replid by saying it freaks him out everytime that happens to him.
Logged

Squee!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Shirts as communication
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 04:31:16 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Also, while in San Diego for a conference last month, I saw a guy with a Strongbad t-shirt in a Greek restaurant.


There are so many Homestar fans here (San Diego, I mean).  I see all those shirts all the time.  It is so awesome.

But no Achewood.  Or DS.  Or Wigu.  etcetera.  ..sad face..
Logged
We close our eyes and the world has turned around again..

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Shirts as communication
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 05:20:26 pm »

A guy recognized my Special Boy hoodie at UVa last month. He said he'd never actually seen any of the merchandise before.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up