If you're like me and my SO, when you get take out food or drive through, you get a lot of packets of ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and the odd plum sauce, hot sauce, or what have you, that don't get used up. Normally, we save these packets in our fridge, and contine to stock pile until there are too many, then I cull the collection and we start again. So it came to the point where the place in the fridge door where we deposit these packets was over flowing, and little packets were falling out if the door was swung too aggressively. I am bored today because my SO is getting drunk at a wedding, and I am awaiting his call to go get him to take him home, basically turning me into a prisoner in my own home. I was going to throw them all out as usual, but then I looked at them, and realized that what I had was the basic components of a low-brow Barbecue Sauce: dozens of packets of ketchup, some vinegar, a couple soy sauce and plum sauces and a sample packet of chipotle Tabasco sauce. And philosophically, I began to wonder, can I make a tasty sauce out of things I would otherwise throw away?
Here is what I came up with:
After squeezing out all the packets I had:
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup of vinegar
2 Tblsps of soy sauce
A dash of chipotle Tabasco (i.e.: one mini packet that came in the mail as a sample)
Two plumb sauce packets
(this eliminated every packet in my fridge. I also added:)
2 teaspoons of habanaro hot sauce
3 Tblsps of brown sugar
2 crushed cloves of garlic
2 Tblsps of minced onion
2 Tblsps of Original Oregon Chai Spice Latte mix
I brought the whole thing to a boil and simmered for 10 minutes, and to my wonderment, what would have been garbage was turned into a tasty mongrel of a spicy BBQ sauce, which I bottled in a pretty glass salad dressing bottle I had just sterilized for a purpose unknown days before, and is now in my fridge. It is recycled sauce born of boredom.
Sooo, with all the talk of ridiculous hot sauces, what I want now is help in naming my BBQ sauce. It has such a rich pedigree, it basically requires a name, and I need your help. Suggest away!