Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mickey Spillane, RIP  (Read 2160 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Mickey Spillane, RIP
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:01:25 am »

As seen all over the place via Yahoo! News. And noted on the blog of novelist Bill Crider and crime fiction blogger Sarah Weinman, complete with obit from the Myrtle Sun.

I'll admit not one of my most favorite novelists, but I did enjoy reading The Snake, The Last Cop-Out and The Big Kill back in the day, my first exposure to him. He was a writer who got the job done, and even his '03 Caribbean caper novel Something's Down There still had some punch and zing to it...plus his influence cannot be discounted, for better or worse (but I'm leaning a bit towards better).

       I used to be able to look at myself and grin without giving a damn about how ugly it made me look. Now I was looking at myself the same way those people did back there. I was looking at a big guy with an ugly reputation, a guy who had no earthly reason for existing in a decent, normal society. That's what the judge had said.
          I was sweating and cold at the same time. Maybe it did happen to me over there. Maybe I did have a taste for death. Maybe I liked it too much to taste anything else. Maybe I was twisted and rotted inside. Maybe I would be washed down the sewer with the rest of all the rottenness sometime. What was stopping it from happening now? Why was I me with some kind of lucky charm around my neck that kept me going when I was better off dead?
          That's why I parked the car and started walking in the rain. I didn't want to look in that damn mirror any more. So I walked and smoked and climbed to the hump in the bridge where the boats in the river made faces and spoke to me until I had to bury my face in my hands until everything straightened itself out again.
          I was a killer. I was a murderer, legalized. I had no reason for living.


Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey Spillane, RIP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 04:10:29 am »

I had no idea he was still alive.

A true original.  I've only read a few of his early books from the 50's (I the Jury, The Twisted Thing).  Pretty much the definition of hard-boiled detective fiction.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey Spillane, RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 04:11:35 am »

Bummer.  Never read Spillane, but really enjoyed the Mike Hammer television series.  I like Stacy Keach.  I thought his Miller Lite commercials were pretty good too.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey Spillane, RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 04:12:56 am »

Total hijack, but if you like Stacy Keach you should rent The Ninth Configuration ASAP.  Great movie, proves that Keach can act.  That and Up in Smoke.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey Spillane, RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 04:14:25 am »

Well Up In Smoke is where I learned about Stacy Keach, but I will add that movie to my netflix list.  I'd say i'll read a Mickey Spillane book, but I know i'll never get around to it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey Spillane, RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:21:50 am »

Do you know who this is?

No, who is this is?

This is Sargeant Stedenko!

Do you know who this is?

NO!

See you later Lardass!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey Spillane, RIP
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 04:35:31 am »

Daaamn, I will have to check those out. I LOVE Stacy Keach. He played the father of Christopher Titus, who is one of my favorite stand up comedians and who had a show called Titus based on his standup show. I haven't seen much of Keach's work, but he was so perfect as Titus' dad.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey Spillane, RIP
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 01:23:13 pm »

Daaamn, I will have to check those out. I LOVE Stacy Keach. He played the father of Christopher Titus, who is one of my favorite stand up comedians and who had a show called Titus based on his standup show. I haven't seen much of Keach's work, but he was so perfect as Titus' dad.

You know Titus is on DVD now, right? Is so awesome.

"Socrates once said, 'an unexamined life is a life not lived.'
My dad once said 'Booty: mm-mmm'."
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up