Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.  (Read 14750 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 10:05:39 pm »

I hate to pull out my Autism Parent cred, but my experience is that if you think there is something different about your kid -- especially an older kid (over 5) who is academically successful -- you need to follow your instincts.  I knew by the time my son was a year old that he had a speech delay, but we couldn't even get a referral to have him evaluated until he was almost one and a half.  (Granted, I have a nephew with autism so I recognized some signs that other parents might have missed.)  He was diagnosed that day -- once we got him in front of the right people it was pretty clear-cut. 

My understanding is that girls are more likely to go undiagnosed or be misdiagnosed because they tend to withdraw rather than act out.  (This information is specific to ADD but I have heard it applied speculatively to other learning disorders also.)  So my advice would be to call your county's Early Intervention program.  (how old is she?  If she is over 3 she might qualify for services under the public schools in your area rather than a head-start type thingie like my son is currently in.)  You can also ask her pediatrician for a referral if you have concerns.  Basically, I suggest that you do what you need to do to get her in front of an evaluation team. 

Then, once she's been evaluated -- believe them.  If they say she's developing typically, great -- you're in the clear.  If not -- you go from there.  The autism spectrum is a different place to be, but it's not an altogether bad place.  The worst thing about having a kid on the spectrum is the fact that other parents don't understand what it's like, IMHO. 

Let us know how it turns out. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 11:05:51 pm »

No longer gets so pissed he holds breath until he passes out, goes rigid, eyes roll back in head, etc...

That's always a special day in a parent's life.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 02:00:14 am »

That's always a special day in a parent's life.

Thank GOD I have kitty cats.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 02:12:27 am »

Thank GOD I have kitty cats.

Because, of course, cats never act in a way that's at all frustrating or inexplicable...

Anyway, carlos, you've already gotten great advice up-thread. I'd just like to wish you and yours all the best.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 02:49:31 am »

Because, of course, cats never act in a way that's at all frustrating or inexplicable...

Anyway, carlos, you've already gotten great advice up-thread. I'd just like to wish you and yours all the best.

Yeah, but if they're being bad, I can lock them in the bathroom with food, water, and a kittybox for a few hours without having Social Services git called.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 03:17:41 am »

My cat has restless leg syndrome.

Wait. No, my cat has sleepy leg syndrome.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 04:13:16 am »

Quote
My cat has restless leg syndrome.

That's the name of my radio show!

Restless Leg Syndrome-- 12-1AM Central time, Tuesday Nights (Technically Wednesday Morning)!
Starting its second year this week with the special episode "What is Restless Leg Syndrome?"
KWUR 90.3 FM, or www.kwur.com !

...sorry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 05:33:28 am »

New Shirt!

I'm the dude who has Asperger's

*flip*

Plus I like college radio(or whatever it is you 'sperg on). A lot.



Sorry Inev, but my favorite show name on your station is "Jew Named Sue." But I'm sure your show is better.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 05:40:54 am »

oh man, I love that name. That kid asked me if I liked it, and I said "YES DO IT DO IT!"

he is cool, he plays old-school country if that wasn't evident. I mean, he is also kind of weirdly power-hungry in the limited way that makes you want to be able to get people in trouble at a college radio station.
If he is the only person running for General Manager next year, I might go for it just so he isn't in power and fuck*ng people over. He is kind of a bitch in contexts where he has control, if that is a thing a man can be called.

I love a lot of those names. Yours Truly Radio is a fave, because the originally concept was that they would write a letter to a band they liked every week and read the replies on-air. But they didn't do that for some reason. The other names I like are names of my friend's shows, so, maybe I am not the best judge.

Also, that is the old schedule, because apparently no one knows how to change our website. I am not kidding.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 06:28:39 am »

 A form of Aspergers was  mildly popularized in  one of the final episodes of the Sopranos. I fit all of the symptoms but Im not sure if Id really qualify or if I just have a Personality.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 05:24:57 pm »

A lot of times it's not a matter of how many symptoms you have, but the degree to which you exhibit them. 

We're all a little autistic. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 06:08:25 pm »

Autism. You've got a little in you.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 06:18:56 pm »

A-Cap is saying that he has a model train habit that will eventually get him killed.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 06:23:23 pm »

Autism. You've got a little in you.

There's a really tasteless pickup line in here just waiting to be used.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 06:36:17 pm »


Quote
There's a really tasteless pickup line in here just waiting to be used.

Do you have any Italian in you?
No.
Oh, me neither. Want to maybe go to a movie this weekend?
Sure.
I hate Italians.
oh. um.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up