Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.  (Read 14760 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2008, 07:06:09 pm »

A-Cap is saying that he has a model traijavascript:void(0);n habit that will eventually get him killed.
But i love wearing that hat!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2008, 09:18:14 pm »

That's the name of my radio show!

Naming my radio show was one of the biggest decisions of every semester.  "The Musical Biscuit Hour," "Taco Wagon," "The Alternative Fortress," "Alcoholiday."  There were others that I can't recall right now.

As for Asperger's, I appreciate all the input.  I belive we are going to try to get input from Liz's other preschool teacher before stepping it up to the county's early intervention program.  This other school is actually a special-needs preschool, and Liz is in as one of several "community kids," i.e. not special-needs, to serve as role models an' shit.  So that teacher is no doubt much more in tune with developmental disabilities and the like and may have a better idea.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2008, 02:58:25 am »

My show was always named the same thing every semester:

"The Mr. Boston's Vodka Funtime Two-Hour Radio Hour".

Our producer was a talking chimpanzee named Dr. Bologna... yeah, my roommate and I went through an intense period of obsession with "Mr. Show" and, yeah, it really shined through.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 03:00:42 am »

My show didn't have a name.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 03:11:24 am »

Quote
My show didn't have a name.

You were here during the Free Jazz era of KWUR, right?
Which, you know, was before the New Wave era, and the We Hate Electric Guitars/Rock Music era.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2008, 04:02:45 am »

You were here during the Free Jazz era of KWUR, right?
Which, you know, was before the New Wave era, and the We Hate Electric Guitars/Rock Music era.

I...I don't know.

We Jazz and New Wave and Rock Music with Electric guitars.  It was about 84-86 if that helps.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2008, 04:16:52 am »

oh shit!

we have an article posted up on the wall from that era describing how horrible KWUR is, and how the music it plays is horrible bad music, and no one likes it, and PS they all wear black clothes and think they're so smart, and haha they think Jazz is good, what assholes.

For some reason I thought you were here earlier, though... I guess you were here during the New Wave period, maybe.

I wonder if I have ever played a record you played. Weirdddd.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2008, 04:19:01 am »

How much Jazz do you play?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 04:49:16 am »

not enough.

but it would be kind of weird, since I am music director, which basically means Rock Music Director, if I didn't play rock music on my show. People want to know what the good new releases are, and I need to have heard them in order to advise.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2008, 05:58:02 pm »

I dated a guy this summer who was very outgoing and hilarious when I met him, and the first time we hung out we stayed outside in the park and talked all night.  He was very easy-going and things progressed quickly and we had lots of mutual interests but I didn't want to get into a relationship and told him so.  He pushed for it and so we were committed but within a month he started to act like a different person depending on the situation.  Especially when it came to me hanging out with my friends.  He didn't want me to, so I'd insist he join me, and then he'd have a panic attack and we'd have to leave.  This happened one particular night and I just sort of took him back to my place, soothed him, and went back to the party.  I love my friends and I wasn't going to miss a best one's birthday.  Anyways, he would teeter between being confident and awesome to be very akward.  He was/is good at computers, and insane theoretical physics that were fun to discuss, but he was also dealing with a recent divorce (at 22) and obviously didn't really listen to me when it came to what i wanted/needed in a relationship.  So things were rocky but I was leaving town anyways to move to Asheville so I didn't really stress it.  Then one day as we're discussing whatever small thing was really bothering him he says, "you know i was diagnosed with autism when i was a kid.  i've got the traits.  that's why i'm like this."  Basically, not my fault. Deal with it. 

That's when I really started to see him as a different person, one i couldn't get along with, because he pulled this out as an excuse for basically being jealous and insecure.  I don't doubt that his brain works in ways i can't imagine.  That was one of the things that really attracted me to him.  He offered me a different perspective and i could emphathize with him.  But when he pulled out the clinical diagnosis as an excuse I realized we couldn't get along.  I've had a good amount of experience with relatives, students and friends with various psychological (?) differences.  Whether severe autism or some other part of the vast spectrum I aim to recognize the individuality and attempt to better understand where another person's coming from.  But to me there's a line when you pull out a diagnosis (one that he obviously was hurt by, and probably tried to play down, and I think he did so very well, and had developed into a great dude, both in spite of and because of his unique brain-style, or something) in that context as an excuse then that's the real problem, and not the condition itself. 

Writing all this now makes me realize how hypocritical I sound with my own history of adhd characteristics and my genetic predisposition for such.  huh,  thanks internet.  i'm gonna go think about life.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008, 01:40:10 am »

Lack of medical history is hell of lame. I can't even donate sperm because of it. Yeah, my mom was allergic to penecillin, that's great but isn't there anything else you could tell me?

I feel for you! I guess that means I have Asperger's Syndrome by Proxy.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 10:38:09 pm »

How much Jazz do you play?

They are playing Jazz right now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2008, 10:48:57 pm »

yeah, the guy on right now is probably going to be Jazz director next year. He knows hell of jazz knowledge.

wait, for real, are you listening? rad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2008, 04:03:04 pm »

Aspergers is a condition considered to be a part of autism. 

Autism is a wonderful thing.  Not everything about life is wonderful for people with autism.  It makes life harder for autistic people and those that care for them.  Sometimes because of the confusion between autistic people and neurotypicals.  Sometimes because our civilization was built for and by neurotypicals (so the fluorescents flicker too much, and the chairs don't wiggle enough).  Sometimes because it often comes with health problems.  But the difference between ways autistic people think and the way neurotypical people think is not a devastating tragedy.  It's really awesome.  Not special powers awesome, but special perspective awesome.

Here's a mainstream media article about autism that is positive.  (Is Wired mainstream?  It's not USA Today.)

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-03/ff_autism?currentPage=all

I can recommend blogs, essays, books, etc. on why autism is a good thing if people are interested.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2008, 04:17:45 pm »

That's the name of my radio show!

Restless Leg Syndrome-- 12-1AM Central time, Tuesday Nights (Technically Wednesday Morning)!
Starting its second year this week with the special episode "What is Restless Leg Syndrome?"
KWUR 90.3 FM, or www.kwur.com !


I keep thinking "How did this thread split to Aspergers and college radio."  HOLY CRAP!  College radio is the perfect metaphor for Aspergers/Autism.  Few people are exposed to it.  It doesn't have all of the flashy attention-grabbing stuff typical stations have.  It's obsessions are strange and deeply held.  Each college station can be wildly different from its contemporaries, as opposed to typical stations which are pretty much exactly the same within their genres.  And what it lacks in production value and polish it makes up for in perspective, occasionally surprising depth, and the sort of human honesty it's hard to find in broadcasting.  That kicks ass! 

Thank you, Achewood Message Board.  Your eclectic rambling have enriched my life once more.

Bumper sticker: College radio is not a disability.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up