Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Clerks II  (Read 4120 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Clerks II
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:04:46 am »

Just got back from Clerks II - if you're already a fan of Kevin Smith movies this one won't disappoint.  It really accomplishes everything that Smith has been aiming towards for the past 12 years.

Also, I'm in it.  Well, okay, I'm not actually in it, but my company is listed in the credits.

Fun stuff.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 12:12:31 am »

Did either of the two rumored titles (Hardly Clerkin' or The Passion of the Clerks) make it into the movie anywhere?
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 12:41:38 am »

How about if you were disappointed by Jay and Silent Bob?
And I haven't even dared see Jersey Girl yet. The Jersey trilogy I love though... And really want to like Clerks 2...
So, what you reckon?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 12:50:35 am »

I have to sheepishly admit that Mallrats is my favorite, but mostly because of Brodie. 

I was also disappointed by Jay and Silent Bob, but there's hope with this one.  HOPE!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 12:53:39 am »

Just the fact the Joel Siegel walked out on it (And Kevin Smith's HILARIOUS response) is enough to make me want to see it.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:18:28 am »

Yeah, I didn't much like Jersey Girl (I can't really remember much of it since it was so generic) and while I thought J&S Strike Back was funny it too was slight and not really worth a lot of reviewings.

Clerks Deuce (no mention of Hardly Clerkin' or Passion, although there is a lot of Jesus in it, unsurprisingly) is probably my favourite of Smith's after Chasing Amy now, but I will look forward to rewatching it on DVD.

There were two sequences that really had nothing to do with the rest of the film (three, actually, but the third one was such a delight that I didn't mind) but otherwise it was very funny, and more poignant than I would have expected (without being schmaltzy or overly sentimental).

I think it was a fitting sequel to the original Clerks without retreading the same territory.  Sure, there are a lot of references to the first movie, and of course the same characters ten years later, but this film has more weight to it than the original Clerks.

Also, Joel Siegel is an idiot, and the part he walked out on wasn't even all that offensive.  He should've stayed for the donkey show.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 04:15:31 am »

See, my favourite part was that devastatingly handsome extra in the Hawaiian shirt in the Wanda Sykes scene. I ain't gay or nothin' but... if I hadta, I would definitely break me offa piece of some Customer #2.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 09:14:18 am »

I thought Jay and Silent Bob was okay, but Clerks, Mallrats and Dogma were all better.  I am looking forward to seeing this, only in my family the curse we have is that no males ever go to see a movie in a theater.  I think this has something to do with chain smoking.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 02:40:18 pm »

I don't like to go to the movies much anymore either, but I went to see this one.

This year so far I have seen:

Art School Confidential
Superman Returns
X-Men 3
Clerks II

in the theatre.  Otherwise I just rent DVDs.  A couple of the online download places are offering full DVDs now of semi-current movies complete with menus and extras and stuff for a fairly low price (> $10) so that may be an option too.

Some movies I still want to see on the big screen, like Superman and other action movies (I wanted to see MI:3 too but never got around to it) and movies like Clerks II are more fun with an audience, although the audience I saw it with was pretty dead.  No one was really laughing much.

Dr. Sodomy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 24
  • It's a Ph.D.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bepatient56
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 08:45:45 pm »

Yeah, I didn't much like Jersey Girl (I can't really remember much of it since it was so generic) and while I thought J&S Strike Back was funny it too was slight and not really worth a lot of reviewings.

Clerks Deuce (no mention of Hardly Clerkin' or Passion, although there is a lot of Jesus in it, unsurprisingly) is probably my favourite of Smith's after Chasing Amy now, but I will look forward to rewatching it on DVD.

There were two sequences that really had nothing to do with the rest of the film (three, actually, but the third one was such a delight that I didn't mind) but otherwise it was very funny, and more poignant than I would have expected (without being schmaltzy or overly sentimental).

I think it was a fitting sequel to the original Clerks without retreading the same territory.  Sure, there are a lot of references to the first movie, and of course the same characters ten years later, but this film has more weight to it than the original Clerks.

Also, Joel Siegel is an idiot, and the part he walked out on wasn't even all that offensive.  He should've stayed for the donkey show.



I tried my best to go into this flick spoiler free, and after hearing about Siegel's tirade, I was totally expecting to at least see the donkey's equipment. Having seen the movie, in terms of Siegel, I can just say "Guy's a douche."

I really think Smith hit one out of the park with this movie. I honestly think it's better than Chasing Amy. Didn't understand the need for a full-on dance scene, but I shouldn't bitch about a movie that was as good as this one.

Yes, I'm a fanboy, but this the best movie I've seen all summer.
Logged
"You holdin'?"
"Shit. Everything but coke, heroin, and your cock."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 09:17:10 pm »

Okay, well, SPOILERS will follow, then.

Yeah, I guess we differ on this point, then, in that I LOVED the dance scene.  I am, however, a big fan of whimsy in general and especially in films that I am already enjoying, and I thought the slow buildup to big dance production was great, left me giggling with delight, etc.

I thought the go-cart scene was completely unnecessary, and the donkey thing, while PG-13, was also pointless except for a single joke.  I could see it coming from a million miles away, as I'm sure could anyone who views the film.

For a movie that complains about the Lord of the Rings having too many endings, this one had too many endings too, but I liked the final happy ending and of course the open door for a Clerks III, which would be welcome, as far as I'm concerned.  Clearly Smith is at his best when dealing with these characters.

Of course, next year we'll have the animated Clerks movie, and while it won't be a sequel to this film, it'll be a nice welcome dose of more Clerks characters.
 
No one ever said that Siegel wasn't a douche, but the way he left that screening was unconscionable for a professional critic.  I hope he issues an apology to Smith.

It was my favourite of the summer films so far too, although I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly yet.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 11:05:05 pm »

It was my favourite of the summer films so far too, although I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly yet.


Man, lots of people I know (the only ones who would want to see A Scanner Darkly) all went to it why I was at the Woody Guthrie Festival.  I would have totally gone to that in theaters.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 11:31:46 pm »

wait, so, is that Scanner movie good? it's playing at this theater like a mile from my house.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 11:55:00 pm »

The book was incredible.  I haven't seen the film yet.

I do want to go see it though.  It's only playing at the crappy art house theatre in Philly, and I was hoping it would open wider, but alas.  So either I'll see it in NYC or just wait for DVD.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 12:08:50 am »

yeah, I win. This new theater opened down the street from me that shows "art" movies.

the thing that pissed me off, though, is that in the newspaper the guy who started it was quoted as saying "Charlotte has never had a theater that showed independent and art films, until now." when possibly the oldest movie theater in the city is "The Manor," a place that shows only art/independent films.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up