Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I live in the boonies  (Read 10162 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« on: September 15, 2003, 03:22:16 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jough"
If I discover that dialup users have the same IP address, it'll pretty much mean that you live within blocks of each other.  

In that unlikely possibility, I will introduce one member to the other so that you can go have a drink together or something.


True, while I am a dialup (ack) user, I suspect no one who views this board lives withiin 100 miles of me...


True, but if jough ever finds anyone near you he can introduce you and perhaps this might lead to romance, which could eventually lead to the overhaul of the throne and the spread of achewood loving DNA through-out the UK.

You always sound so isolated in your posts.  Maybe I'm just imagining this because of the vast difference in location between you and the greater majority of people here.  Or maybe it's my stereotypical view of England being gloomey. Do you live in an abandoned warehouse with racoons?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I live in the boonies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 03:28:46 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

You always sound so isolated in your posts.  Maybe I'm just imagining this because of the vast difference in location between you and the greater majority of people here.  Or maybe it's my stereotypical view of England being gloomey. Do you live in an abandoned warehouse with racoons?


Less impressive! I live in a small house in the country, some 10 miles from the nearest town, and 60 miles from the nearest city. What with the town not having anything to offer!
At least the raccoons would keep me company. I have a dog though, who's very good company.
So anyway, yes, i am quite isolated, and especially without a car right now!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 03:46:05 pm »

Um, I think there aren't any raccoons in England?

Some hedgehogs would be nice though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I live in the boonies
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 04:05:03 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Um, I think there aren't any raccoons in England?

Some hedgehogs would be nice though.


True. And there are certainly mice!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 04:23:55 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "side_show"


 I live in a small house in the country, some 10 miles from the nearest town, and 60 miles from the nearest city. What with the town not having anything


Wow Slink, me too!  Pretty much.  10 miles to nearest town, 15 miles to somewhat larger town, 35 miles to city.  Personally, I like the peace and quiet, but each to his own.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 04:31:29 pm »

Dang that's isolated. I used to live in a small town in Pennsyltucky but at least it was a town.

Of course now I can almost see the Pentagon from my house.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I live in the boonies
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 04:51:32 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Wow Slink, me too!  Pretty much.  10 miles to nearest town, 15 miles to somewhat larger town, 35 miles to city.  Personally, I like the peace and quiet, but each to his own.


Oh, I like the peace, and not having hundreds of people surrounding me, but as I say, without a car, and any chance of broadband, it is a little annoying.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 04:53:45 pm »

Yeah, I can't see living this way without a motor vehicle.

How about a hoss?  Do you have a hoss?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I live in the boonies
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 06:01:29 pm »

I'm surprised they even have internet access where you are, slink.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 06:13:52 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dang that's isolated. I used to live in a small town in Pennsyltucky but at least it was a town.

Of course now I can almost see the Pentagon from my house.


My heavens, how I envy you.  DC is my favorite place in the world.  Just being around all those big intimidating and historic buildings makes me want to run for office.  Driving the streets makes me feel like a Republican, doing the monument walk makes me feel like a Democrat, and riding the metro makes me feel like a socialist.  That's what this country is all about.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I live in the boonies
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2003, 06:17:21 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I'm surprised they even have internet access where you are, slink.


Barely! There's something wrong with the phone line. It pops and squeaks in random weather (sometimes humid, sometimes hot and dry) and tends to fail during bad winds (of which are common here), yet BT (oh, how I love them) refuse to do anything constructive about it.
My friend who lives about 5 miles away, and is on the town's exchange is getting DSL connected in a week or two however, yet again, without a car it's kind of difficult to monopolise his connection.

And no, August, alas no hoss. There was a pony in my acre & 1/2 field that belonged to the farmer's daughter, though that seemed to disappear a couple of years ago (glue anyone?).
I think I'd look a bit strange on a pony, being so tall and all.

Still, given that I just discovered my Insurers are going to shaft me for about £300 if I cancel my insurance, I am going to have to go and talk to the bank about getting a loan to buy a new car.
I'll have to get round to getting some Achewood stickers for this one, if it's going to last more than the six months my last one did, whch I committed a Brodie sticker to (one of only two Brodie stickers in the country (I was assured this by the band)).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 06:21:25 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dang that's isolated. I used to live in a small town in Pennsyltucky but at least it was a town.

Of course now I can almost see the Pentagon from my house.


My heavens, how I envy you.  DC is my favorite place in the world.  Just being around all those big intimidating and historic buildings makes me want to run for office.  Driving the streets makes me feel like a Republican, doing the monument walk makes me feel like a Democrat, and riding the metro makes me feel like a socialist.  That's what this country is all about.


You forgot the part where driving on the beltway makes you feel like an anarchist.

"Go! Why don't you go? It's only snow, you can keep driving! If you don't quit rubbernecking I'll twist your neck in that direction permanently you non-driving crackwhoreslutbitch! Just GO! Hate world, revenge soon."

And the part where you walk around Dupont Circle and realize this whole "let people be who they want" thing works out okay after all.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 07:15:04 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
You forgot the part where driving on the beltway makes you feel like an anarchist.

"Go! Why don't you go? It's only snow, you can keep driving! If you don't quit rubbernecking I'll twist your neck in that direction permanently you non-driving crackwhoreslutbitch! Just GO! Hate world, revenge soon."

And the part where you walk around Dupont Circle and realize this whole "let people be who they want" thing works out okay after all.


I'm all choked up.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 07:31:40 pm »

You forgot the part where driving on the streets makes you think you're about to get killed, and when you don't, you suddenly feel like you've gotten religion (although it never takes permanently in my case).
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 07:47:55 pm »

It really is the land of opportunity. Since apparently even a raving lunatic is allowed to plan streets.

Use 3 lanes except M–F 6:30–9 use 4 lanes and M–F 4:30–7 use 2 lanes. Except holidays.

The hell? Plus the lanes on Rock Creek Parkway are like 4 microns wider than an actual car so taking corners can be interesting when there's oncoming traffic.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up