Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I live in the boonies  (Read 10134 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2003, 05:15:34 pm »

my shift ends at 4pm, so it was beautiful and sunny.  Yesterday there was a very soiled pair of sh!t filled adult-sized underwear with flies all around it in the bus shelter,the shelter had an ad of an panhandler holding a sign that reads "please feed my addiction - sadly 7 out of 10 panhanders will spend the money you give them on cigarrettes, drugs, or alcohol" AND on top of that someone had stuck stickers reading "treat the problem not the people."  There's lots' of interesting streetlife in Winnipeg - nothing realy frightening, just mostly sad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I live in the boonies
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2003, 05:54:43 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

And that's why Montreal's kinda nice. Well apart from it being a beautiful city, it's open 24/7. You walk down the streets at 3am and there's people everywhere, none of whom look like they're about to stab you.


Philly closes its doors to normal folk around 10PM (it used to be around 9PM) but some chain restaurants are open later.

However, Philly nightlife just keeps on going now.  It's a lame scene, but at least there's *something* going on.

However, most of the people that you pass on the street will look like they're about to stab you.  Yours truly included.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I live in the boonies
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2003, 05:59:56 pm »

And JLD - I realise that Raleigh actually encompasses the surrounding areas as well.  I was actually staying in the Cary area - Triangle Research Park - with nothing but motels, universities, and outlet malls as far as the eye can see.

But the "downtown" area is just sad.  I was there on Friday afternoon (train in) and Sunday morning, and even on Friday afternoon it had more of a "small town with largish buildings" feel to it than it felt like a bustling metropolis.

Let me put it this way - suburbs of Wilmington, Delaware (the most boringest place in the country) are busier and have more happening (and have larger buildings) than Raleigh.

It was a nice place to visit, etc.  I'll prolly be down there sometime before Xmas.  As kind as your tour offer is, I think I'll be busy that day.

Seriously, I like you people fine enough virtually, but let's not start planning to spend our vacations together.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2003, 06:04:13 pm »

Quote from: "jough"


Seriously, I like you people fine enough virtually, but let's not start planning to spend our vacations together.


Good to see that your recent binge drinking hasn't affected your usual congenial demeanor, Jough.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I live in the boonies
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2003, 06:21:26 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

However, most of the people that you pass on the street will look like they're about to stab you.  Yours truly included.


Hey, I probably looked like that in Montreal. I do in Edinburgh certainly. And Newcastle and anywhere else for that matter.
But it's nice to not have everyone else look like that once in a while.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2003, 07:54:20 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Seriously, I like you people fine enough virtually, but let's not start planning to spend our vacations together.


You're not makin' me cry on that one.  Although I would still like to have an Achewood-Con sometime, I kind of view it as a one-shot, social experiment kind of deal where we meet in person so that we can convince ourselves that we're really friends and not just a bunch of random geeks with too much time on our hands.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I live in the boonies
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2003, 09:27:57 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jldunston"
...and not just a bunch of random geeks with too much time on our hands.


Speak for yourself, I've come to terms with what I am.


Agreed.  And as for boonies, I live on an island.  An island somewhat near a small town.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I live in the boonies
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2003, 10:19:31 pm »

Having said all that, I still expect you all to PM me if you plan on cruising through Philly any time.

I'll take you out, buy you a lapdance, show you the sights, etc.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I live in the boonies
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2003, 11:00:47 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jough"
...buy you a lapdance...


Performed by you?

::shudder::


Why would he buy a lapdance from himself?
Sounds like a rip in the space-time continuum to me.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I live in the boonies
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2003, 12:57:17 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Our Fearless Jough simply strikes me as thrifty.


No, my problem is that I'm not thrifty enough.  But those DVDs and meals out aren't going to buy themselves!  They need my help!

V-Adore

  • Guest
I live in the boonies
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2003, 01:49:31 am »

An AchewoodCon would be pretty impressive. I know I'd love to sit around having a real-life bull session with you people; I'm not sure what precisely we would do, besides talk and presumably have something to eat (since basically everyone on this MB except me appears to be able to cook), but it would be an experience nonetheless.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I live in the boonies
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2003, 02:21:49 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
An AchewoodCon would be pretty impressive. I know I'd love to sit around having a real-life bull session with you people; I'm not sure what precisely we would do, besides talk and presumably have something to eat (since basically everyone on this MB except me appears to be able to cook), but it would be an experience nonetheless.


And I'd sit alone at home sobbing into a large bottle of bourbon while listening to the bleakest Tom Waits album I could find.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I live in the boonies
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2003, 02:26:06 am »

It is interesting when virtual people collide. I have to admit to once being a host in AOL chat rooms. We did this party thing in New Orleans. It was just like you picture it: a bunch of virtually familiar people became complete strangers momentarily and after a bit of social lubrication there was the expected drinking, late night discussions, hotel-room pranking and quiet hook-ups. It was fun. It would be more fun now because I've got more money and maturity socked away. Not to mention a little more confidence in my social self.

So plan it in Hawaii. It'll cost but it's SOOO worth it. And 5 or 6 of you can crash at my house.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up