Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!  (Read 17593 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 03:46:21 am »

It was very late at night on the 31st of July, 2003, but most people didn't join until after midnight or the next day.  It was one of those crazy times when I was up all night and just stayed up setting up the new board and informing all of the old Dumbrella board folks.

I had meant to post something here today about the genesis of the board, and how while I did the technical part it was really JL Dunston who made this a community and whose influence set the board's tone and tenor.  I was just along for the ride like everyone else.

I also provided the firm hand, the bad cop to her good cop, etc.  Onstad was pretty abusive on the old Dumbrella board and people seemed to like that.  So I kept up the tradition, at least at first, of arbitrarily closing threads and knocking down anyone who started trouble.  I'm far more polite and nicer in real life, or even on other boards.  There's something about being the message board Fuhrer that brings out the fascist in me.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 08:30:12 am »

Hark the Herald Angels Angels Sing is playing in my head as I read this thread.

It makes no sense.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 06:34:52 pm »

it was really JL Dunston who made this a community and whose influence set the board's tone and tenor. 

I miss her so goddam much it's just stupid.  Pedro, too, but he pops in every once in a blue moon. 

::pours out some of his 40 for Jamie Lynn::
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 07:31:35 pm »

Yeah, in regard to nostalgia of Dumbrella...

What I really remember, when I first came to the Dumbrella board, was thinking that JL and Jough and Onstad all worked in an office together.  Probably because JL and Jough were such a cohesive balancing body, and Onstad was the trickster in the middle forcing everyone to find that balance, yet both JL and Jough were sort of polite to him in an employee to boss sort of way.  You two both did so much work for Onstad's benifit Jough - did either of you get anything in return, apart from dick slaps?  Also, how did you come to the original board?  How did come to basically run it?

I also seem to remember Doomglobe being a serious force of tom-fuckery for everyone, back in the day.  I seem to more specifically remember how he put the smack down on me for somereason... I can't remember why anymore.  That guy's gone MIA.

Also, I remember feeling totally obliged to read wigu.  Mostly because there was a lot of wigu spill-over on the Dumbrella boards.  I'm glad I don't have to read wigu anymore.  I never really liked it all that much.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 10:04:54 am »

Onstad warned us he was closing the Dumbrella board on 8/1/03. Jough started this board up sometime on 7/31 but most people didn't come over until 8/1. Plus 8/1 is when Onstad posted his "fuck you message board people" strip.

So we think of 7/31 as kind of a preview/set-up period and 8/1 as the board's actual birthday.

So 7/31 is when G.O.D. and the internet fucked, and 8/1 is the day they blessed the world with their son.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 02:15:36 pm »

dude... are you bangin' a website?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2006, 08:07:58 pm »

Man, I remember those first days and finally emerging from lurkerdom into terrified-newbie-dom. The Dumbrella board had been... well, not a den of iniquity, per se, but certainly a den of something, a huge congealed wad of Interweb Terror that overwhelmed any possibility I could have had of participating. This board -- hey, no Onstad! And fewer total dickslaps! I could deal with that!

I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you, board, and belated happy birthday. I'm sorry I have been AWOL due to the depression and generally being the worst admin ever. God bless.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2006, 12:21:52 am »

Owls are great. Have you ever had an owl sit on your roof? It is nifty. To conlude, we find these truths to be self-evident.

Did you just... did you...   


did you post to the wrong thread?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2006, 12:43:04 am »

I'm not sure how that happened, but yes, I find that truth to be self-evident as well.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

hound

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -21
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 04:59:24 pm »

haply nex berthdais touamb how will it feel
Logged
Yoke-fellowes in Armes, let vs to France, like Horfe-leeches my Boyes, to fucke, to fucke, the very blood to fucke.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, TOUAMB!
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »

Is this Lyle's French (or Québécois) cousin?
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up