Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: No Wireless Network  (Read 6356 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
No Wireless Network
« on: July 31, 2006, 04:42:27 pm »

Hi All, Happy B'Day TOUAMB.  I'm out here on the road using the internet at the library.  They are only allowing me 15 minutes because i'm not a Colorado resident, so I gotta make it quick.  Was counting on using my laptop out here on the road and jacking some internet from any unprotected wireless connection I could find.  But my computer isn't detecting any networks anywhere.  The transmitter isn't transmitting I guess.  Does anyone have any insight if this is the problem or do I have something screwed up in my settings I can look at.  I click refresh on the 'find all available wireless networks' and it doesn't do anything.  It ask me to check that my wireless is turned on.  It is, as far as I can tell.  I was in the lobby of the tire store, in the parking lot of several hotels, truck stops.  I know the problem lies with my computer.  Any help.  I'll check back somewhere down the road.  Disapointment, I was planning on posting pictures from the road.  Fuck!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 04:53:56 pm »

Did all of those places have wireless connections?  Go to like a coffee shop that you know has a connection before you freak out. I don't know, you should be getting it outside hotels.  Where are you sleeping?  In a hotel?  Because if you are you could wait until then and see if it is your computer or just no networks around.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:03:19 pm »

Every Starbucks, Borders (full Borders, not express), and most McDonalds have WiFi hotspots, but none of them are free.

Panora Bread has free WiFi.  Some public libraries do.  Most airports and hotels have WiFi available of some variety.

When in doubt, ask someone.  Even if there's a charge it's usually minimal, like $3 for two hours or something.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 09:44:48 pm »

All of the places I stopped have wireless internet, but my computer isn't seeing the network.  For certain inside of the tire store that had wireless network, but my computer didn't see it.  something is wrong with my computer.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 09:55:20 pm »

Paul, have you EVER connected your PC to a wireless network?

Also, make sure the radio is turned on.  Most laptops have dedicated buttons to do this.

It may be hard to fix it while on the road, as you may need to get a driver or something and can't really do that if you can't get online.  You can always download a file from the manufacturer's site and transfer it to your laptop using a USB flash drive or something.  You do have a little USB drive, don't you?  If not, try a Walgreens Pharmacy or any electronics store.  You can get a 128mb or bigger drive for cheap.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:00:33 pm »

Yes, I used the wireless extensively when I was in San Antonio and during my trip tu Utah and the first week in Utah when I was in a Motel.

By radio you mean the card for the wireless network?  Yes that is turned on.  It's on, it's just not transmitting, or recieving whichever the case may be.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 10:03:29 pm »

It's got another problem not as well, When I log on, it only recognizes 'administrator' which is me, but it's always logged on as Paul McRae, but the screen is all different and it won't accept my password.  I may have to go to Downers Grove, IL where the closest FRY's on my journey is located.  I have a warranty.  They should just replace the damn thing.  If I can't fix it before hand.  Don't really want to go to Downers Grove.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 10:07:26 pm »

Why on earth would a tire store have wireless?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 11:08:33 pm »

Why on earth would a tire store have wireless?

Education.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 03:16:28 am »

If you do have to go to Downer's Grove, I insist you stop by and use my network.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 07:19:39 am »

I didn't realize your journey was taking you all the way to almost-Chicago.

Almost makes me wish I still lived there.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:25:40 am »

Why on earth would a tire store have wireless?

Porno.
Logged
ACHIEVE

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 02:15:23 am »

It's got another problem not as well, When I log on, it only recognizes 'administrator' which is me, but it's always logged on as Paul McRae, but the screen is all different and it won't accept my password.  I may have to go to Downers Grove, IL where the closest FRY's on my journey is located.  I have a warranty.  They should just replace the damn thing.  If I can't fix it before hand.  Don't really want to go to Downers Grove.

~Paul

Well, if you do end up out this way, feel free to stop by and leach off of my wireless too, Paul.  If it's working (damn Comcast...)
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 02:17:13 am »

Well, if you do end up out this way, feel free to stop by and leach off of my wireless too, Paul.  If it's working (damn Comcast...)

So I'm not the only person that's had Comcast cut out randomly recently?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 02:23:09 am »

Just a short update, I am borrowing internet from a friend in Kansas.  Awesome grass roots environment The Garden of Eden that she runs, btw.  I was able to get my computer back up, but still no wireless.  I may be going to downers grove or near Chicago (is that the downers grove one) or Atlanta, because that is where the closest FRY;s Electronics is located along my journey.  So, if I head that way, I will definitely take you up on  your offer Jorge and SJLimmer.

Now, I must be off.  It's dial up here and it's giving me the creeps.

Hella Hella Hella.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up