Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Wireless Network  (Read 6374 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 02:43:29 am »

When you get to Atlanta, let me know, and I'll take you out to a dinner of the best of anything you want, except pizza. We have great food here, but sadly little to no great pizza.

Options:
 - Thai
 - Italian
 - Seafood
 - Steak
 - Burger
 - Bar food
 - Pub food
 - Home cookin'
 - Home cooking
 - Neuvo American
 - Southwestern
 - Tacos
 - Vegetarian

Hell, I'll even buy.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 04:29:19 am »

I had a wireless card that refused to recognize networks for a while.  It would sometimes work fine if I told it the SSID to look for, but it just didn't want to look for them on its own.  You might try putting in the SSID and password manually if you can find a place where they know what those things are.

I tried all kinds of things to get it to work: firmware, new drivers, old drivers, generic drivers, deleting it, uninstalling it, etc.  It just wouldn't go when I punched the buttons.  Eventually I gave up and bought a new card that was capable of wireless-G as well and called it an upgrade.

If the card is an internal one I don't know how easy/cheap a solution that would be.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 04:56:42 am »

man, my good friend is going to school in Atlanta (at Emory.)

we have a plan where I'll get a train down to Atlanta, and then we'll drive back home together for Thanksgiving. Although apparently this will take hell of hours?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 02:33:30 pm »

Ok, I would like to apply for the stupidest person alive award.  I am sitting in a Best Western parking lot in Evansville IN doing what I had hoped to be doing this entire trip, jacking internet from an unsecured wireless connection.  The problem with my computer, the problem that I was just about to drive hundreds of miles out of my way to get serviced?  The switch was turned off.  That is, there is a switch on the face of the computer to turn off the wireless.  Why there is a switch for this I can't fathom, but there it is.  One small thing in my defense, it doesn't actually say wireless, it's just s squiggly line, but still, I should have noticed it.  When the guy from Fry's suggested I look for a switch, there it was.  turn it on, 30 seconds later I am surfing the web.  God, what a relief.  Anyway, now I can start enjoying my trip.  August, I will be in Louisville in about 2-3 hours.

I'm a dummy, I can't pretend otherwise any longer.  This confirms it. 

Have a lovely day, sorry for the inconvenience.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 02:36:42 pm »

Call me when you get here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 02:44:55 pm »

Damn.. sorry I missed you.  Yesterday was just nutty busy.  Maybe next time around.  Looking forward to more paul updates though: FROM THE ROAD!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 02:59:53 pm »

The Garden of Eden in Lucas, KS?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 03:30:23 pm »

One small thing in my defense, it doesn't actually say wireless, it's just s squiggly line, but still, I should have noticed it. 

NOT YOUR FAULT.

Why can't they label things with WORDS?  Do they really think that we'd be using the computer if we were ILLITERATE?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 03:54:26 pm »

Ok, I would like to apply for the stupidest person alive award.  I am sitting in a Best Western parking lot in Evansville IN doing what I had hoped to be doing this entire trip, jacking internet from an unsecured wireless connection.  The problem with my computer, the problem that I was just about to drive hundreds of miles out of my way to get serviced?  The switch was turned off.  That is, there is a switch on the face of the computer to turn off the wireless.  Why there is a switch for this I can't fathom, but there it is.

Man, you could have been saved a LOT of trouble if only someone had asked you a few days ago if the wireless was switched on...

Also, make sure the radio is turned on.  Most laptops have dedicated buttons to do this.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 04:33:34 pm »

That is, there is a switch on the face of the computer to turn off the wireless.  Why there is a switch for this I can't fathom, but there it is.

To save battery power when you're not around/using a network.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 05:35:28 pm »

Thank you for your unhelpful and sarcastic answer Jough.  I suppose if you had replied when I asked for clarification I would have had this figured out days ago.

By radio you mean the card for the wireless network?  Yes that is turned on.  It's on, it's just not transmitting, or recieving whichever the case may be.

~Paul
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:42:00 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 06:45:55 pm »

no, no, we have established that when people want Jough to pee on them, he closes the door and leaves.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 06:50:23 pm »

Thank you for your unhelpful and sarcastic answer Jough.  I suppose if you had replied when I asked for clarification I would have had this figured out days ago.

Gee, maybe if you didn't reply with the affirmative "By radio you mean the card for the wireless network?  Yes that is turned on.  It's on" I may have not been under the false impression that the radio/card was on, rather than the actual reality of the card being powered off.

I also didn't ask you if the laptop was plugged in or powered up, but next time I will be more careful, because clearly it is my responsibility to make sure that you can get online.

SEE IF I TRY TO HELP YOU NEXT TIME, PIG-FUCKER

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 07:15:27 pm »

Holy crap... I think you both missed your nappy times didn't you?  So snippy. 

If some insane twist of fate ever brings you northward, I will happily walk with you in the muddiest cornfield I can find.  And you were there, and you were there, and you!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless Network
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 08:46:08 pm »


I also didn't ask you if the laptop was plugged in or powered up, but next time I will be more careful, because clearly it is my responsibility to make sure that you can get online.


But of course.  You have failed us.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up