Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIAMI VICE!!!  (Read 1195 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
MIAMI VICE!!!
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:42:44 pm »

Either, slowest action movie, or most realistic drug smuggling movie ever.

Hard to tell, pretty f'n slow.  Heat was slow, too, from what I remember.  Though I'm pretty sure Michael Mann is a drug lord in his spare time, so...

Lots of people being shot, and I liked Jamie's olive sort of blazer with the red lining, but no white suits........  *single tear*

Logged
R U Passionate??

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MIAMI VICE!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:15:58 am »

I liked Jamie's olive sort of blazer with the red lining, but no white suits........  *single tear*

I mis-read your post the first time as "Jamie Oliver" and was briefly intrigued at the idea of the cook show pansy playing a drug mule or something.  I'm so disappointed.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: MIAMI VICE!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:34:38 pm »

I saw the movie on a whim with my dad, despite constantly mocking every commercial I'd seen for it over the past month. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but it certainly wasn't great. The cinematography and visual style is really quite beautiful. The move just looks great. The plot, though, is pretty ho-hum and any sort of character development is completely AWOL. Colin Farrell has yet to perfect an American accent, and when he speaks its really kind of distracting.

I have no basis to compare it to the original. I'm too young to remember the original show, but I did watch a few episodes of Nash Bridges back in the day, which I imagine is like Miami Vice in the sense that there is Don Johnson and car chases, but with more Cheech.

Overall, I give it a -9.6 VOB (Value Over Big).

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: MIAMI VICE!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 09:48:01 pm »

Over two hours featuring

A few dashes of rather dull action sequences

No Jan Hammer but we sure as hell have got Nickleback songs on the soundtrack

Lots of people talking at chic apartments, neon-lit nightclubs, etc. looking like they're at the scene of a Vogue or GQ fashion shoot

Lots of long, lingering shots of speedboats and fast cars and other vehicles that seem to interest the camera operators more than anything else going on in the film

Farrell and Foxx in a competition to see who can make the dreariest, flattest, mumbliest line deliveries, as well as doing their best to have zero dramatic chemistry.

Mann's portentious, pretentious, show-off-y direction and the cliche-gritty/shakycam cinematography making even the dullest, stilted sequences even more boring, like the scenes between Farrell and Gong Li.

Hell, Bad Boys II was a far better Miami-based cops vs. sterotypical paranoid Cuban drug lord movie...and Bad Boys II is a festering hunk of manure.

I lost count of the times the audience laughed at one of Farrell or Foxx's attempts dramatic line readings.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?
Pages: [1]   Go Up