Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tomato talk  (Read 7598 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 07:58:51 pm »

oh, wow. Ew.

hell of Oedipal. Gross. For some reason this reminds me of when I figured out, by smell, that my ex-girlfriend used the same shampoo as my mom.

... if I remember correctly, I made her change shampoos.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 08:41:36 pm »

Dude, everybody uses Pantene
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 09:08:40 pm »

I'm gonna side with the couple of minority views on this one:

Tomatoes, tasty in theory, but the texture of slices or whole tomatoes is weird and off-putting.

Ground-up beyond recognition or in very small chunks, I am definitely pro-tomato.

Ditto for oranges. Great taste but chewing on it makes me think I'm chewing on the insides of my mouth.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 09:19:29 pm »

You know you're supposed to peel the orange before you eat it, right?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 09:22:41 pm »

Go to your local grocery store now and buy a box of clementines.  Hell of tasty, seedless, they peel up really nice, and they are small enough that they have little to no texture issues like oranges sometimes do.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 03:00:53 am »

Go to your local grocery store now and buy a box of clementines.  Hell of tasty, seedless, they peel up really nice, and they are small enough that they have little to no texture issues like oranges sometimes do.

oh jesus clementines are the fuck*ng win.

I had an ex who used Pantene. It smells nice, but I'm a niche perfume snob now who uses Aveda shampoo and thinks about fragrance too goddamn much.

And yes, it took me a while to learn to like regular tomatoes. I used to only buy Roma tomatoes and rinse away all the nasty goo, and only eat the solid tomato parts. Once you slice a ripe tomato and throw on some crispy sea salt and delicious, rich balsamic vinegar and some fresh buffalo mozzarella... trust me, you won't care anymore. The flavor is incomparable.

Nabu... you are right. Out here tomatoes are about $8.00 a pound. No joke. Sometimes we get good ones, though. They have a hothouse nursery in Anchorage that sends us "vine-ripened" tomatoes.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 03:09:40 am »

I just remember tomatoes being the veritable definition of mealy. I fuck*ng hate mealy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 06:23:24 am »

no, I mean, the worst part about the shampoo thing was that it was some bizarre, really specific shampoo.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 05:32:20 pm »

I think you need to eat good and fresh tomatoes to not get the mealy or god-forbid slimy texture.

Slimy is what happens when tomatoes start to rot.  Stay away.

Mealy is what happens when they're grown too quickly with chemicals.  Stay away.

Maybe I was spoiled by living next to New Jersey where they grow great tomatoes, because I haven't found a decent tomato out here in Chicago yet, but they do exist.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 09:11:28 am »

Somebody nice, add some basil and you've got an insalata caprese, a fine Italian salad - you can seriously just sprinkle on dried basil and it counts.


Also: New Jersey! The Garden State! It's not what you'd expect... from New Jersey!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 01:09:47 am »

Somebody nice, add some basil and you've got an insalata caprese, a fine Italian salad - you can seriously just sprinkle on dried basil and it counts.


Also: New Jersey! The Garden State! It's not what you'd expect... from New Jersey!

Oh man... I might have to bust open my piggy bank and go buy some tomatoes at the store, if they've got any. Jeeeeez, that sounds delicious.

Also, completely unrelated: I had a really weird dream last night about jough! We were in Philadelphia and it was very cold. We were waiting for a plane, I think. I don't remember much else, unfortunately. Pretend people from the intarwub showing up in dreams -- does this happen to anyone else?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 05:19:30 am »

I had a dream once about Paul killing himself in front of all of us. It was really ambiguous whether it was purposeful or an accident. And the way that he did it (perfect backflip, his head hit a perfect 90-degree angle on this cliff) reminded me of the thing where Roast Beef wanted kids to throw gutterballs at his funeral.

and of course, as it happened we suddenly were all posting about it on the board. Despite it happening literally in front of us.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 05:27:42 am »

I was lucky enough to meet and spend time with Paul last year.  Paul strikes me as the person least likely to commit suicide I know.  I'm not criticizing your dream, I'm just sayin'.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 02:37:45 pm »

Sub_T - seriously, do you not like pizza, or lasagna or... anything.  I hated tomatoes as a kid, but now I like 'em.  It's really about getting them fresh from the garden.  Tomatoes from the grocery store are bad news.

Inev - I was just watching a documentary about smell, and they were talking about about how daughters are programmed to instinctively dislike the smell of their fathers.  They did not say anything about sons though.  That is hell a creepy in my books.  If my SO started wearing Old Spice I would probably cry.  That is a fatherly smell if there ever was one.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato talk
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 05:32:31 pm »

... about how daughters are programmed to instinctively dislike the smell of their fathers.  They did not say anything about sons though.

There's a reason Oedipus Rex is considered a classic.

Also, when my daughter was tiny I found I could get her to sleep more soundly if I put one of my shirts in her crib.  Even now (she's 4) I'm the one she throws up on when she comes in to our room feeling poorly.

Maybe it changes around puberty.  I won't be looking forward to that change if so.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up