Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: August Blogs!  (Read 14041 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2006, 07:05:27 am »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they've done studies. Even Southerners think that people with Southern accents are of lower intelligence.
Whew.  Now I feel slightly less bad about the fact that I (a native South Carolinian) think I subconsciously take a friend of mine who is really intelligent but also has a severe Southern accent less seriously than I might if she had a different accent.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2006, 12:12:05 pm »

I must agree with the Southern accent stereotype; this is why I am extremely glad I haven't the slightest trace of one, despite being Virginian.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2006, 04:54:02 pm »

note: difference between percieved intelligence and actual intelligence.

also note: difference between "southerners" and "people with southern accents."

final note: the difference between that really ugly southern accent that few have, and the more subtle one which most have. the really extreme one is as much due to lack of education as birthplace, typically.


one stereotype that does hold: girls with midwestern accents are adorable. Good lord.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up