Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: August Blogs!  (Read 14047 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2006, 01:53:42 am »

I want him to write about the talking cats!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2006, 03:51:30 am »

What I liked about this blog entry is that it captures well the utter paranoia that can be associated with acrophobia sometimes. As someone who once needed to be talked down from six feet above the ground (I was on a giant chair; it's a long story why), I can identify with the "doing ludicrous things in fear that you might fall to your death" motif.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2006, 04:27:55 am »

I am not a fan of golf, but I found this particular blog update enjoyable nonetheless.  His entries in general are my favourite because they offer glimpses into the life of the fellow who created the webcomic I so adore, thus sating my rather mild, nonthreatening curiosity about him.  Plus, his writing is fantastic; the dude clearly has a way with words, and any reader of Achewood will tell you the same.  I'm convinced he could make even his tax returns entertaining.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

xzqx

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »

I am not a fan of golf, but I found this particular blog update enjoyable nonetheless.  His entries in general are my favourite because they offer glimpses into the life of the fellow who created the webcomic I so adore, thus sating my rather mild, nonthreatening curiosity about him.  Plus, his writing is fantastic; the dude clearly has a way with words, and any reader of Achewood will tell you the same.  I'm convinced he could make even his tax returns entertaining.

I agree so hard. Here are some turns of phrase from his golf entry that had me reading them over and over again:

...my mind was beginning to shake on the rails of reason.

...most guys at cheap public driving ranges already write me off as invisible. I might as well be a successful woman with computer skills.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2006, 05:02:09 pm »

In my defense, I completely delineated that its an unfair bias that is just too engrained in my head to let go of.

My father once told me that he only believes in three stereotypes: that most Irish are drunks, most Southerners are dumber on average and that most golfers are douchebags... and all other stereotypes are crap. I will say, I've definitely met my share of smart Southerners and golfers who aren't douchebags... but it is still hard to shake things your poppa puts in your head at six.

Of course, he also educated me on the history of the Sixties through National Lampoon albums and told me that I could be anything in the world "except for President" because I have an Italian last name and that on the off-chance an ethnically Catholic person becomes President they "blow your head off in Dallas" so... like...

He may have been specifically raising me to be a maladjusted crank, as like an experiment. I am open to this theory.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2006, 06:26:47 am »

It's especially telling how the worlds greatest golfer is an upper-middle class preppy douche from a long line of East-coast establishment, upper-middle class preppy douches.  Right?

Try to separate the cultural associations about the game from the actual game.  Otherwise you seem awfully closed minded and prejudiced.  There are millions of working class people people who play golf.  There are also lots of folks who play the game because they enjoy the challenge it provides, or because they enjoy the opportunity to be outside for a few hours, or because the enjoy spending time with their friends.

In that golf is an individual sport which requires one to hone a specific set of muscle movements, it could be said to be most comprable to bowling or pool; both of which have entirely different cultural associations.

As to golfing being incongruous with Onstad's personality, it don't see it.  Based upon what we know of him, (foodie, Stanford grad, literateur, et al) one thing seems fairly plain about the man.  He's an upper-middle class douche.
I agree with most of this post, but there's sort of an implication that the cultural associations are incidental. The obvious reason for the class distinction between golf and bowling and pool, is that the former requires a large amount of space for a relatively small amount of partici#####.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

stringph

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I been meanin' to learn a little geometry
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2006, 09:58:51 am »

...  Plus, his writing is fantastic; the dude clearly has a way with words, and any reader of Achewood will tell you the same.  I'm convinced he could make even his tax returns entertaining.

Words ... like persimmon. Mattock. Canavery.

Whoever mentioned Wodehouse was clearly on the mark.

A magnificent feeling reared its golden-coiffed head within me as ball after ball soared straight and true over the grass.

could be a straight lift from The Misadventure of Monty Bodkin or some such. The only difference is that Wodehouse would have 1) given his friend a personality and 2) put a twist in the end of the story. Maybe the twist comes next week.

Anyway, has anyone noticed it ain't August anymore?
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2006, 10:09:49 am »

Anyway, has anyone noticed it ain't August anymore?

A new thread for the month is set up when the first blog of said month appears. Seems wasteful to start a new thread to continue discussion of last month's blogs.

Then again, I'm not a mod or such, so don't take my word for it.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2006, 02:48:42 pm »

I agree with most of this post, but there's sort of an implication that the cultural associations are incidental. The obvious reason for the class distinction between golf and bowling and pool, is that the former requires a large amount of space for a relatively small amount of partici******.

Good point.  Although I would suggest that the existence of large (and ever-growing) numbers of public golf-courses and driving ranges has mitigated that effect quite a bit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2006, 03:32:31 pm »

but it is still hard to shake things your poppa puts in your head at six.


My graduate advisor was always saying that the Jesuits said something like, give me a child when he is six and he is mine for life.  This was always in context of some comment about how they'd warped his mind, but I think it was really about him being jealous that he didn't get his grad students till they were old.

And, it is correct that we don't start a new thread until one of the blogs notices it's not August anymore but can I say that I for one am very glad it is not August anymore.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2006, 01:26:37 am »

My graduate advisor was always saying that the Jesuits said something like, give me a child when he is six and he is mine for life.  This was always in context of some comment about how they'd warped his mind, but I think it was really about him being

Michael Jackson said this too.

In my defense, I completely delineated that its an unfair bias that is just too engrained in my head to let go of.

My father once told me that he only believes in three stereotypes: that most Irish are drunks, most Southerners are dumber on average and that most golfers are douchebags... and all other stereotypes are crap. I will say, I've definitely met my share of smart Southerners and golfers who aren't douchebags... but it is still hard to shake things your poppa puts in your head at six.

He may have been specifically raising me to be a maladjusted crank, as like an experiment. I am open to this theory.

This may be a good theory. So, haven't been able to experientally disprove the 'most Irish are drunks' thing yet?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2006, 01:30:12 am »

This may be a good theory. So, haven't been able to experientally disprove the 'most Irish are drunks' thing yet?

You discovered the hidden joke! A tiny can of strange-tasting soda for you.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2006, 01:43:59 am »

Michael Jackson said this too.


Boo to that!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2006, 03:42:57 am »

man, no. southerners are smart as all hell.

but I guess it's like how whenever I go to Boston, I find that everyone is a loud moron.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2006, 05:53:49 am »

man, no. southerners are smart as all hell.

but I guess it's like how whenever I go to Boston, I find that everyone is a loud moron.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they've done studies. Even Southerners think that people with Southern accents are of lower intelligence.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up