Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird  (Read 4660 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:34:27 am »

I midi'd Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird. I think this is the first occurence of this happening, but if not, I'm going to look an idiot. Anyway:

With basic drums and a little bass
Just the guitar bit

Took me goddamn hours to eventually get this up. Everytime I'd almost finished tabbing it out again, fuck*ng powercut. So I hope it was worth it.

If links need refreshing, give the word.

Also, I bolded that sentence because I'm ALREADY AWARE of it's potential hilarity. Take that, Q.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 10:45:11 am »

Goddammit people.  If you keep pre-empting me* what the hell am I gonna do?



(Also: Nice Work!)


*Awww yeah
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:24:47 pm »

what program do you use to make these "MIDI" files?

the kind of 7th-sounding chord at the end is awkward! it indicates tension!

I feel all achewatered-up!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:39:27 pm »

InEv: I use Guitar Pro! It's very fun and easy to use. But it's not free, unfortunately.

As for the chord at the end, that's the chord used in the following bar. But, we do not see all the verse so I decided to just finish it there. Maybe I should change that, because it does sound awkward.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 06:44:36 pm »

no, no! it sounds awkward because now the achewater has worn off and I am lost without it!

also: damn, not free? screw it, then. I have a MIDI program somewhere, I just have to find the disc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 12:09:09 am »

this is pretty good, but i think it's supposed to be much more sad, tonewise:
Quote
Drinkers of achewater experienced hallucinations
and euphoria, but the after-effects of the liquor
produced a deep and lasting melancholy (hence its name).

Modern science has confirmed that achewood oil, the
active ingredient in achewater, is a powerful depressant
which causes irreversible neurological damage.

Achewater is generally thought to have inspired
many Southern folk songs and fables, such as "The
Story of Poor John Ritch," "Sullivan's Bear and
Dried Bird" and "I'm Following a Little Round Lord."

also maybe try finishing with a repeat of these two bars (highlighted) and then an Em?

edit: also, i'm pretty sure the bar break in these two is there just because there was a lack of space... maybe try to get rid of the rests?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 12:30:24 am by theauthors »
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 12:57:32 am »

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=22B1F3324E40A6CE

I really had no idea where to start on making it sadder because I suck, so I just changed the guitar tone a little (it's almost harp like and slightly more melancholy I feel) and also resolved the issue of the misplaced rests and the ending.

Thankyou theauthors!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 03:47:27 am »

yeah, wouldn't making it sadder involve changing the actual chords? they sound mostly minor anyway... and occasional majors can make it even more sad. So, in other words, Judy is perfect.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up