Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)  (Read 8473 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 10:07:55 am »

His computer was in serious times, no time to call the maid.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 10:06:59 pm »

I'm fascinated by the idea that... to be gay is to discard the trappings of residual college-dorm-ism.

It's great as a comedy premise but... my closest gay friend is a complete hippie who after coming out of the closet probably spent MORE money on... hot sauce and posters and Phish albums and hallucinogens than ever before.

And come to think of it, the gay folk I know through my job tend to be the type of gay fellows who are so obsessed with the idea that "just because I like men doesn't mean I can't be manly" that they play up that residual college crap even moreso. Attending football games and watching horror movies and so on.

Is this just a comedy premise or do I know the wrong gay fellows?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 10:18:50 pm »

I think gay people tend toward the fringe segments of culture because the traditional mainstream culture rejects them.  In other words, the gay community tends to skew toward the far left liberal edge because it's a beachhead of acceptance.

You tend to not see many gay Republicans.  I'm not saying they don't exist, but that they're a minority even among a minority.  You'll find some Jewish neo-Nazis too, or black Klansmen, or whatever.  But they're not emblematic of their group.

Part of the problem with mainstream integration of minority culture is that the minority culture tends to separate themselves from any mainstream activity.  There was a psychological study back in the '70s where they asked people of various genders, races, and sexual alignments (I never liked the term "sexual preference" as if someone chose it arbitrarily) and asked them to look in a mirror and tell the researcher what they saw, in the most general sense.

The white males tended to say that they saw "a person" or maybe "a man" whereas people of minority cultures tended to say that they saw "a ______ man" (black, gay, hispanic, Mormon, etc.) or woman.

What were we talking about? Oh, I don't expect the revelation of Pat's sexuality to change much.  I mean, surely he must know he's gay, or even if he doesn't see himself as gay, must've wondered at some point why he was attracted to other male cats.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 10:24:34 pm »

I wonder why I'm attracted to male cats all the time. Am I gay?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 10:34:00 pm »

Dan: Yes.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 11:05:24 pm »

(I never liked the term "sexual preference" as if someone chose it arbitrarily)

That's why no one with a sense of tact uses it; that term has gone rather out of fashion.  Last I heard, "sexual orientation" was de rigueur (and I was pretty active in the LGBT stuff back in high school).
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 11:49:12 pm »

it always amuses me that high schools that aren't here have "LGBT" and "gay-straight alliance" type groups. I don't think one would survive at my (old) school.

at Wash U, though, I am proud to be a part of the GSA.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 12:24:50 am »

it always amuses me that high schools that aren't here have "LGBT" and "gay-straight alliance" type groups. I don't think one would survive at my (old) school.

at Wash U, though, I am proud to be a part of the GSA.

We basically went to the same high school, except yours happened to be co-ed.  Oh, and my school was religious.  You just have to suck it up and talk to the administration and not give a shit what anyone else thinks.

And a nice tip I picked up from going to a nation-wide LGBT conference a couple years ago: at public schools, if they allow religious groups to meet after school, they are obligated by law to allow any other group, including LGBT groups, to congregate.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 12:57:12 am »

the GSA at my school would have had like 4 members. if it had more than that, more than half of the group would be the "straight" half of GSA.

I know for a fact the principal would have been totally into it. But no one would have joined.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 02:55:28 am »

the GSA at my school would have had like 4 members. if it had more than that, more than half of the group would be the "straight" half of GSA.

I know for a fact the principal would have been totally into it. But no one would have joined.

Well, see, that's why it's a Gay/Straight Alliance.  Because you don't have to be gay or bi to be in it.  It's about support.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 02:57:20 am »

yeah. I understand that. But it would have seemed pretty futile having a "GSA" that was just a bunch of straight kids. And then 1 quiet gay guy, 1 lesbian, and my ex-girlfriend being all "I fuck girls! ha! I totally get it on with girls and dudes! promiscuously!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 03:01:17 am »

(and I was pretty active in the LGBT stuff

Yay!

back in high school).

... Oh.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 03:35:38 am »

LGBT sounds like a sandwich.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 12:03:20 pm »

LGBT sounds like a sandwich.

If you dig both ladies and fellows, it can be. Comprende?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 12:20:20 pm »

whoa


a-so: judy, your new avatar confuses me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up