Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral  (Read 8795 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Skillator

  • Guest
The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« on: August 04, 2006, 06:29:03 pm »

I am always disappointed with people's cliche use of U2 and Candle in the Wind at funerals. You would think people would have a little more respect for the dead. Personally, I want to have made the selections myself. I want each and every one to be a biting and meaningful tribute to my existence. If I hear Bono's voice as I'm ascending the Stairway to Heaven, I am coming back and haunting everyone.

I've been rolling this around in my head, but I still have very few ideas. I think I need to hear what other people have in mind.
So what I want to know from you: what will be the soundtrack to your funeral?

GO!
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:32:53 pm »

The Jam - Going Underground.

Preferably as the coffin is being lowered.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:34:17 pm »

Nico's "These Days" sung by Heidi Klum

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 06:56:04 pm »

Nico's "These Days" sung by Heidi Klum

Wait when how – did that actually happen? Or is it one heck of a brilliant audio-visual fantasy?

edit: Right, about my funeral… "Tears" by The Chameleons. Pretty obvious title, I know, but wonderful song.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:04:03 pm by Roger »
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:05:24 pm »

"To Be of Use" by Smog
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:39:31 pm »

Am I really the first to say it?

Europe's "The Final Countdown"

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 08:02:07 pm »

Heaven by Talking Heads is also a good one!

Heaven... Heaven is the place
A place where nothing, nothing ever happens
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 08:11:45 pm »

I must be a fortunate person, because I had no idea there were annoying musical cliches at funerals.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 08:30:06 pm »

In no particular order:

"Don't Even Sing About It" - The Books ("You get used to hangin' if you hang long enough")
"Three Peaches" - Neutral Milk Hotel (for the irony in the line "I'm so happy that you didn't die," and because it's an awesome song)
"How to Disappear Completely" - Radiohead (lyrics here)
"Passing Afternoon" - Iron & Wine ("There are things that drift away / Like our endless, numbered days")
"Cody" - Mogwai ("Sad songs remind me of friends")

Other possibilities (for the after-party?):

"Suicide My Star" - God Is an Astronaut
"I Don't Want to Live (in a World of Infinite Keys)" - Ester Drang
"Oh Comely" - Neutral Milk Hotel
"Break Me Gently" - Doves
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 08:48:15 pm »

"Another Man's Done Gone," Wilco/Billy Bragg.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 10:52:55 pm »

Radiohead's "Pyramid Song" would be a good one too, as would Rick James' "Ghetto Life."

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 02:47:45 am »

The instrumentals of "Jive Talkin'", played in a loop. Alternately, a regular quiet funeral with nice weather.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 03:07:02 am »

yeah, I don't really imagine any edgy or interesting music at my funeral.
my funeral will basically be me, either in a box or on fire. dead.
hopefully a few people will cry, but not too much. wouldn't want to upset anyone, no sir.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 05:52:24 am »

John Rutter's Requiem, with a chamber orchestra (piano, flute, violin, harp, timpani, trumpet, and oboe) plus organ and a choir of thirty young adults no older than 23.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 01:00:10 pm »

Alternately, a regular quiet funeral with nice weather.

This is the best idea so far.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up