Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral  (Read 8753 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 01:42:16 pm »

I don't have anything for mine but my mother has always demanded hell of Van Morrison at hers (Particularly 'Bright side of the road'). I think this goes towards cliche but when the time comes I guess I'll have to go with it. Dress blues brothers style.

The only plans I ever had for my funeral was I told people I wanted them to wear fancy dress. Then a friend of mine said she would come as whatever I died of, I couldn't decide whether this was brilliant or horrible so I stopped telling people.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 10:53:47 pm »

Either "First of the Month" or "Thuggish Ruggish Bone".  And I'd be buried in a leopard print overcoat and a dapper purple hat in a glass, diamond-studded coffin.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 02:22:46 pm »

The best choice for a funeral song is "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red.  Because if you don't, you never ever will.  I can imagine the looks on everyone's faces as the first few notes play and the mourners slowly realize that they know the song, and I hope some people laugh.

ALSO:

"The Funeral" by Band of Horses.

"At Your Funeral" by Saves The Day

"At The End of The Tour" by TMBG
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 02:25:33 pm »

I totally laughed at that one.  Yes, that first line oughta elicit a few chuckles from the more savvy of mourners.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 02:35:02 pm »

"At Your Funeral" by Saves The Day

I wanted to include that song, but I was afraid it would reveal my shameful emo past.  But now that I'm posting about it anyway, I guess I have nothing to worry about!






The saddest part is that it's not such a bad song.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 07:54:10 pm »

Nobody's going to nominate "Dead" by TMBG? I mean, ome on, how much more perfect can you get?

Alternate, serious suggestions: "Sweetness Follows" and "Endgame" by R.E.M. always struck me as good funeral music. I might also have to go with "Casimir Pulaski Day" by Sufjan, just because it's the song I associate with death these days.

A quiet funeral could be okay too. I mean, hell, it's not for me, why should I be choosing music? (Aside from "if my SO chooses it it will all be '80's pop and/or prog.")
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 10:46:10 pm »

What would be really nice as a sweet yet semi-ironic funeral soundtrack: the Happy Gilmore theme tune.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 11:15:08 pm »

Hm... I always thought Sigur Ros would be nice...

Most likely I wouldn't really like a funeral.. just a cremation and sent off flying.. perhaps people could celebrate while eating pastries and listening to a soundtrack later.  hah.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 11:38:46 pm »

My grandmother's funeral was mostly old people singing all six verses of Amazing Grace.  C- for performance and lack of originality.

Of course, the first thing that popped into my head was a string quartet and harp playing "Dust in the wind," so I guess I'm not very original either.  Perhaps they could also play "Another one bites the dust" to really make people uncomfortable.

I should think about this some more.  Do I want sappy or uncomfortably inappropriate?
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 11:48:39 pm »

My grandmother's funeral was mostly old people singing all six verses of Amazing Grace.  C- for performance and lack of originality.

My grandmother's funeral was mostly hymns, but it also featured my aunt playing the theme from The Thorn Birds on the flute. This made me happy to no end because a) Grandma loved that miniseries, and it was good to be reminded of that kind of thing during a very solemn time; b) the theme itself was actually quite pretty; and c) had the priest known what Aunt Nancy was playing, he would have shit a brick and died, and I think that irreverence would have made Grandma happy, too.

Moral of the story: go for creativity.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 01:41:52 am »

"Another one bites the dust" to really make people uncomfortable.

Brilliance!
And of course uncomfortable should always be the goal, people can feel sappy all by themselves but a funeral is really your last chance to mess with people EVER. Besides, folk who know you should dig it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 02:14:20 am »

OK, I may not have a soundtrack for my funeral, but I've finally had a vision of what my afterlife will be like.
From http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/:

Quote
100 year old ghost wants tea, cake and occaisonally biscuits
Tuesday 18 Jul 2006 Reporter: Nicey
The BBC have an interesting article about a ghost of an English soldier in a village in northern India who stops the locals in the street and asks for tea, cake, and occasionally biscuits. The grave of Owen Tomkinson who died in 1906 is regularly visited by locals who bring home made cakes and pots of tea in an attempt to pacify the restless soul.
Attempts to chain the ghost to a nearby iron pillars with 'devine' chains were briefly successful until somebody took the chains.
The ghost of Mr Tomkinson is smartly dressed and well mannered and considered harmless. Even if locals don't have any tea and cakes on them when meeting the ghost he'll leave you alone if you promise to get some for him on another day.
Unfortunately the article fails to say what types of tea, cake and biscuits the locals have been trying, which may be where they are going wrong.

The only difference is that I will definitely also be asking for ice cream.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 04:51:42 am »

did anyone see that ad, back in the day? where the fellows are listening to "another one bites the dust," and then it zooms out and they're in a hearse? during a funeral procession? that ad was pretty awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 05:51:05 am »

I'd go with something from "Soft Bulletin".   Most of that album is a "Life is completely tragic and sad, but there's a beauty to that" that ends up being kind of uplifting.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 06:16:57 am »

I will let my family decide since, you know, funerals are for the living.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up