Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral  (Read 8779 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2006, 06:25:52 pm »

  I think what music I'd have depends on who's going. As I'd want a short funeral, and if I liked who was coming, I'd have a string sextet play Strauss's Capriccio Prelude.
  However, if I was rich and famous and knew my funeral was going to be attended by tons of public dignitaries, I'd put on music I love but most people would hate: Varese's Deserts, Boulez's Book for Strings, Penderecki's Threnody and Schnittke's Viola Concerto.
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2006, 11:03:07 pm »

But enough about us-  how did people in England feel?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2006, 04:25:46 am »

Quote from: the article
Others in the top 20 included (...) perhaps unexpectedly, Fame's "I Want To Live Forever."

Quote from: the eventual Top 10
9 - "Every Breath You Take - The Police

Proof positive that people don't freaking listen to lyrics or understand dramatic irony. (Hint to the British public: "I'm Gonna Live Forever," in the context of eventual death, is fundamentally a song about tragic hubris, and "Every Breath You Take" is a song about stalking.)
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2006, 06:00:09 am »

Perhaps the country is full of arrogant stalkers?  I dunno.  Can anyone confirm this?
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2006, 08:52:03 am »

'Every breath you take' has always confused me because it is so obviously a creepy stalker song so I could never figure out it's popularity I just assumed there was probably some context I was missing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2006, 12:57:47 pm »

These are the same people that used to want The One I Love played as a dedication.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2006, 03:43:07 pm »

These are the same people that used to want The One I Love played as a dedication.

Well, as a dedication for a simple prop to occupy your time, there are worse songs.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2006, 09:40:36 pm »

Perhaps the country is full of arrogant stalkers?  I dunno.  Can anyone confirm this?

I think there's still a greater proportion of idiots here than there are arrogant stalkers.

Otherwise I might have more friends...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2006, 02:02:42 am »

I think that the arrogance is pretty much par for everyone's course these days. For example, most traditional church funerals have strict controls. For example, when a good friend of mine's son died unexpectedly, I was there when they were planning the funeral. My best friend who has an amazing voice was going to sing the prelude, but for the Catholic ceremony there were only a few choices of songs that they could pick. Like, they had a choice between 2 hymns or something. I was surprised that there was so little freedom of choice, but then again we are talking about the Catholic church (heh, awesome pun).  They have this thing where they want to keep the focus on God, I guess.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2006, 02:52:18 am »

Dies Irae-- what a great way of consoling the grieving mourners.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up