Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?  (Read 4782 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeMacD

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« on: August 04, 2006, 08:19:57 pm »

Don't scroll down unless you want to see the sad story of the girl who was born without a face due to a gruesome, sad, sad fetal mutation

but still


http://www.somethingawful.com

For the lazy:

http://i.somethingawful.com//sasbi/2006/08/elpintogrande/04-fibbot.gif

This is the first time I've seen Achewood parodied/even referenced on a big-name website.
Logged

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 08:47:16 pm »

I sometimes enjoy the humor at SA, but that parody seems kinda ... pointless.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:15:25 pm »

I had never heard of this 'big-name' website before and now I am sorry that I have.  THANKS A LOT MR. JORGE.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeMacD

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 09:51:43 pm »

You've...never heard of SomethingAwful?

O_o

Anyways, it's not parody for the sake of parodizing Achewood, they're using Achewood's humor to set up the rest of the sad, sad article.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 10:58:11 pm »

You've...never heard of SomethingAwful?


Nope, so I guess they shouldn't be too stuck-up about themsleves, huh?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Fooker

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -18
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • domesticated troll
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 12:55:18 am »

Why do they refer to it as an "awesome" parody?

It's so-so.
Logged
NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 01:14:32 am »

Why do they refer to it as an "awesome" parody?

It's so-so.

Maybe he is being polite to the guy who made it?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 01:55:10 am »

Yeah, SA is definitely something else.

I have seen specials on television about that little girl. Born without a face is not the appropriate term here. I am also shocked that over $3 million has been spent by US taxpayers for the unholy twists of modern medicine that are necessary to keep this little girl alive. I remember poignantly her nurse describing what her life with the little girl is like. That's right, there's a registered nurse who is paid to sit with the little girl every  night, all night, to make sure that her trach tube doesn't get knocked out or whatever so that she can continue to breathe. I wonder how much a nurse gets per 8 or 12 hour shift, for every single night that this little girl has slept. The nurse said that the little girl can cry, and does cry, but because of her trach tube and her facial deformities nobody can ever hear her cry. I thought that was awful for her to cry and yet nobody can hear her. I know that she has a family who loves her, but how far is love going to take her? What kind of life is she going to have? I hope that she will have a happy life because I wish that for everyone, but it just kills me to think about what her life is like, and what it is going to be like in the future.

Imagine all the horrible, painful surgeries that this child has endured. Her parents keep saying that it's only fair for God to decide who lives and who dies. I think that the medical community is playing God by all these ridiculous measures to keep her alive.

I do think that it's horribly cruel for the SA author to keep calling her a monster. She is a human being, like the rest of us. However, if it were my child I would not force her to go through all that. I would have just let God take her when he chose rather than spend millions of other people's dollars to keep cheating death.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 01:59:39 am by linnea »
Logged

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 02:15:17 am »

I do think that it's horribly cruel for the SA author to keep calling her a monster. She is a human being, like the rest of us. However, if it were my child I would not force her to go through all that. I would have just let God take her when he chose rather than spend millions of other people's dollars to keep cheating death.
Yeah this is basically why I never visit hospitals or use any sort of modern medicine

But seriously it's not like Something Awful is the pinnacle of kindness and understanding
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 02:38:15 am »

Yeah this is basically why I never visit hospitals or use any sort of modern medicine

But seriously it's not like Something Awful is the pinnacle of kindness and understanding

Like rotten.com, they pride themselves on it.

Routine procedures are one thing. Doing a c-section during a difficult pregnancy. For me, getting IV antibiotics when my stupid parotid gland swelled up. People taking antibiotics to avoid dying from pneumonia. There are treatments for cancer and AIDS that can give people a lot more time than we had ever hoped.

Those kinds of procedures are one thing. Three million dollars of other people's money is an entirely different story. I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve it, I'm saying that if I was in their position I would have done things differently.
Logged

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 04:17:33 am »

Like rotten.com, they pride themselves on it.

I wouldn't go that far ... SA is the awkward kid who breaks out the tasteless jokes when people stop paying attention to him, while Rotten is the one who uses pseudointellectual hogwash to mask the fact that he's a bit of a sociopath. SA seems to have mellowed with age, so the writers probably figure they have to do a full-on shock article every once in a while to keep themselves looking "edgy" lest they be branded sellouts by the fickle nerds who've read SA since it started and complain en masse over the smallest change.

I still think the Achewood parody fits about as well as a glove on my foot, though.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 09:56:26 am »

The way the guy wrote the article made me pretty angry, but what was more galling that he would put this on the front page of a website which regularly attracts people who think it's really fuck*ng funny to make fun of things like this.

While reading it, it felt like the guy was trying really hard to make the whole thing humourous. But I don't think even he had the heart or ability to do it tastefully. It just came off as really, really sad. I looked at Juliana's website, and it is really goddamn heartbreaking. Sure, SA can poke fun at his mother and father for trying to make her feel pretty, but they really do seem to genuinely want to make Juliana have as normal a life as possible. There is nothing wrong with that.

I don't really want to go into a lot of detail about it, but it sums up the abortion debate pretty well; on one hand, this poor girl might have been spared a potentially terrible life, but on the other hand there is also potential for her to have, if not a normal, then at least a happy life she'd never have had if her parents had given up.

As for the comic strip: not a bad parody/repurposement I guess, but it sure works the rough chuckles. The not funny chuckles, that is.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 10:03:11 am »

I clicked the link for the lazy, and I didn't quite get it.  I thought it was lame that the creator just changed the saddest thing.  Then I read the rest of this here thread and now I think it is pretty disgusting.  So, in essence, boo this.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Fooker

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -18
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • domesticated troll
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 04:57:54 pm »

Quote
Maybe he is being polite to the guy who made it?
Ok, that makes sense. Sort of like you'd compliment a small child's mudpie.
Logged
NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Did anyone else look at Something Awful's front page today?
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 09:12:02 pm »

I don't know. Felt like less a shot at Achewood and more like...

Some kind of a half-failed attempt at a "transition" to ease people into something really sad and disturbing that was supposed to be darkly funny and just wasn't.

Such as "We need to telegraph that we are trying to make this funny and... uh... does anyone have an internet popular culture riff we can try and turn into that? Yeah, like, we need to make this completely obvious so that we can sleep at night and not be cursed by the gods to have disabled children for doing this but... what internet meme can we use? Furries? Myspace? ...Achewood? Achewood it is!"

Still, I suppose, we ARE the ones laughing our asses off at a drawing of a cat's erect member.

It could all be relative. I don't BELIEVE so... I think those guys just crossed a line and were being cowards about it but... I'm enough of a bleeding heart liberal to entertain the notion.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up