Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burnt Soup  (Read 2998 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Burnt Soup
« on: August 06, 2006, 04:33:20 am »

Hey kids,

Today I made a huge batch of Beef Barley Vegetable Soup.  I had a bowl and it was absolutely delicious.

Unfortunately, I accidentally left the burner on while I was having the first bowl, and by the time I went back into the kitchen about 20 minutes later it had burned a little on the bottom, but the entire eight quarts of soup tasted burned.  It's not awful, and if I have to I'll eat it rather than throw it all away, but dang, it sure tastes like burning.

Is there anything that can be done to salvage it?  My dad suggested putting some large-cut sacrificial potatoes into it to filter out some of the burning, but before I bought some spuds I figured I'd ask if anyone knew of a home remedy for taking the burnt taste out of soup.  Surely I can't be the first person to do this.

Google totally let me down on this matter.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Burnt Soup
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:02:22 am »

Yeah.. I was gonna say that hot sauce and paprika in large quantities would pretty much fix about anything. 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Burnt Soup
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 05:46:16 am »

Dude, that sucks!  "Tastes like...BURNING" is always a bad thing.

I have had limited success with the sacrificial potato idea. I have heard that if you accidentally add too many chilis or too much salt that the potato will absorb it. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I didn't find that it helped much.

Hmm... with it being a soup, it's not like you can just pour off some of it and replace it with more broth, since that's where all the flavor is. Dang. Then again, that's also where all the burnination is at. Some kind of soup dialysis would be ideal, but I don't know anyone with spare kidney equipment over in PA.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Burnt Soup
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 11:34:06 am »

Oh that is sad.

I know that we collectively know everything, but this is a question I would go and post on the Home Cooking board at Chowhound.com if I were you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Burnt Soup
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 03:11:28 pm »

Huh.  I've never been to Chowhound before but what a great site!

Thanks for the recommendation.  I hope they can help me in my time of woe.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Burnt Soup
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 11:49:40 pm »

So did you want barley because of that Good Eats last week, or was that just me?

Also, I know of no way to get rid of the burned flavor.  I have a sort of triage, which involves leaving the burned portion as intact as I can while I ladle out all but the last inch or so of soup, then throwing that part away.  That only works if you know it is burned before you stir, though.

I can say that adding water does not seem to dilute the charred flavor, but does dilute every good flavor.  Don't do that.  I can still taste a batch of chicken 'n' dumplings that had been "fixed" this way, some fifteen years later.  EW.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up