Well, Wikipedia says that daifuku means "great luck", so maybe these liittle guys are eaten around New Years? I love them. I am dying for one right now. They do sell cans of anko at one of the little asian markets here, but eating anko straight outta the can isn't very satisfying. I also bought some rice flour and tried to make some...don't ever try that. It was disastrous. That stuff is unbelievably sticky -- unbelievably so -- and I cannot believe I managed to avoid clogging my kitchen sink drain with it.
They are so satisfying. They are this squidgy little cake that is soft and tasty. They have a lot of sugar, but they are fat-free, which is rad. Plus they probably have more fibre than most dessert.
My other favorite dessert is a chocolate milkshake from one of the local restaurants here. I have no idea how they make them so delicious, but I do know that I've never had a milkshake that tasty. They cost $5, but they are so worth it. Unfortunately, they have like...an entire DAY'S worth of calories in them. Kellichou got an awesome chocolate-avocado shake from there while she was here that totally rocked the casbah.