Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Daifuku (the dessert thread)  (Read 18681 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2006, 12:38:47 pm »

DESSERT.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2006, 01:01:11 pm »

I REALLY WANT SOME GODDAMN DAIFUKU. WTF, STOMACH? why do i crave foods which I have never tasted.

i had a dream where my dad was obsessed with eating this Somalian food, which consisted of a variety of peppers/spices, a tortilla, and meat. which had been basted (although, in the dream this meant "cooked") for 28 years. or days. it kind of alternated.
in the end, I showed my mom a report saying that no Somalian restaurant had ever passed health inspection-- and that this special meat was bad For Children. This involved yelling "28 anos? es mejor de mi!" and her correcting my grammar.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 07:24:42 pm »

Speaking of Daifuku - I believe we were speaking of daifuku? - red bean paste is practically the only thing in Japanese cuisine that I don't like, even though I have tried again and again. (OK, that and natto. But we were talking about dessert).  This is very sad because Japanese food and dessert are two of my favorite things, so it is sad not to be able to enjoy most traditional Japanese pastry. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2006, 08:27:42 pm »

Speaking of Daifuku - I believe we were speaking of daifuku? - red bean paste is practically the only thing in Japanese cuisine that I don't like, even though I have tried again and again. (OK, that and natto. But we were talking about dessert).  This is very sad because Japanese food and dessert are two of my favorite things, so it is sad not to be able to enjoy most traditional Japanese pastry. 

Don't eat natto!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2006, 10:46:38 pm »

Speaking of Daifuku - I believe we were speaking of daifuku? - red bean paste is practically the only thing in Japanese cuisine that I don't like, even though I have tried again and again. (OK, that and natto. But we were talking about dessert).  This is very sad because Japanese food and dessert are two of my favorite things, so it is sad not to be able to enjoy most traditional Japanese pastry. 

Yeah, I get you there. It's a great frustration because the flavor is fine, but I can't take the weird mealiness of bean paste. I think I need to work on my food-texture problems, especially if I get more serious about Japanese food.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2006, 12:24:17 am »

You're right, it is more the texture.  Not only is it mealy but you're always running across, like, whole chunks of bean.  This is so not what I want in a dessert.

I actually can't think of anything else with this texture in Japanese food. Natto has a differently disgusting texture but there, the flavor is also horrific.

On the other hand the Japanese are great at making their own unique versions of Western desserts (especially anything green tea flavored) so it's not like you have to go dessertless.  It's just the more traditional sweets that are the problem.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2006, 12:33:14 am »

I just don't get natto. It seems like the worst food concept in the world, ever. Who would eat this? Was there some sort of famine in Japan that left people dependent on fermented soybeans for a while? Why would you ever eat natto if there was another food option?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2006, 01:16:52 am »

Well, I guess you could say the same thing about cheese and yogurt being disgusting concepts if you think too hard about it.  But on the other hand, seriously, they really don't taste so much like vomit. 

Also unlike natto they can be made into tasty desserts! 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 01:41:15 am »

Well, I guess you could say the same thing about cheese and yogurt being disgusting concepts if you think too hard about it.  But on the other hand, seriously, they really don't taste so much like vomit. 

Well, yeah, my disgust with natto is not that it is made using fermentation, it's that it possesses no trait other than vileness. I mean, ew.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 02:05:39 am »

Natto does not sound pleasant. I love miso and other fermented soybean products, but Steve's blog entry made me swear off Natto forever. Jeezus.

I love anko, or red bean paste/jam. It is so good. I have never had a problem with its texture. As I probably mentioned before, they sell it by the can here, but it's not very satisfying to eat that way.

And yes, AD, it is a soft mochi rice cake surrounding a lump of red bean paste. So delicious. Please send me some (they are in the chilled section at the grocer's). I will totally PayPal you some money.  It is so weird how they get it so perfectly smooth and round! It is a seamless, perfect round mochi cake that is somehow mysteriously filled with anko.

Since I tried and FAILED so valiantly to make daifuku, I have NO FREAKIN' CLUE how on earth they get them so perfect and uniform. Today I tried to get the grocery stores here to order some for me, and they wouldn't. Fuckers.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2006, 02:14:18 am »

Natto is the nasty.

Red bean paste - is that the same as Azuki beans? I get those with ice cream and shave ice here all the time. I love them.

I'll see what I cand find in a japanese bakery for you. I don't think they need to be chilled. I've just seen them in bakery boxes.

Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2006, 02:20:14 am »

Natto is the nasty.

No, cuitlacoche is the nasty.

No wait, Bun Dae Ki is the nasty.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2006, 03:38:25 am »

No, cuitlacoche is the nasty.

No wait, Bun Dae Ki is the nasty.

Holy shit, that guy's blog makes me cry. In horror. I had no idea that such foul things existed. I mean, my worldview and personal experience tells me that crazy shit exists, but I've never seen it laid out and explored so relentlessly before. A brave man, indeed. Yikes! I've got the heebie-jeebies now. ew. I'm itchy and freaked out, even more so than when my younger sister showed me her welts from the bedbug bites! Someone get me some fuckin' DDT! :(
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2006, 03:14:40 pm »

The pickled pork rinds entry made me laugh until I cried a little the first time I read it. It's also less horrifying than the two I linked above.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2006, 05:01:05 pm »

No wait, Bun Dae Ki is the nasty.

Strikes me that they're all just things we have an abundance of that no one can think of anything better to do with than sell.

"We have all these silkworms, but we don't need the moths... I know, we can sell them to gullible, drunk fuckers!"
"Hmmm, this corn's gone a bit nasty and rancid, and looks kind of like a decaying eyeball, what can we do with a field full of this shit... I know..."

I wonder if that one goes back as far as natto, which seems to be a fairly aged idea. Hell, I would add tofu to that list, let alone fermented soy beans. And you can at least take from it the fact that without fermentation they're really not a good idea anyway (what with the hormones and all). Necessity - I hope so - at least that's some kind of excuse for eating a bowl of jizzy beans.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up