Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Daifuku (the dessert thread)  (Read 18590 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2007, 09:22:38 pm »

i kind of want to eat a 1000-year egg.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2007, 04:23:36 am »

Bad Dawg, you can't not tell us the rest of that story!

It's not that exciting. You see, there are many, many, many Filipinos here in Hawaii and I had the good fortune to be the boss of a group of them. And, being culturally and cuisine-adventurous, and being polite (that is, not rejecting out-of-hand something I haven't tried that isn't obviously a health hazard or death-accelerator) I sat down with several of these fine, salt-of-the-earth types to try the Balut.

First off, it looks just as bad as you imagine. The kicker, though, is that there are those who let the thing develop a whole lot further - til it's got feathers and a beak - and then cook it and eat it. Thankfully, the balut I ate was generally a well along egg but still more egg that anything else. It did have substance, structure and texture that was obviously and alarmingly not egg-like.

So you carefully crack open the top, throw in a little salt and vinegar or hot sauce, and drink the liquid from the egg. Then you suck out the, um, contents of the egg and eat them in one bite or so.

Given the right social situation, I would eat them again but I wouldn't seek them out for the flavor. This is clearly a drinking man's food and I was at work when I ate them, so pre- or post-eating palate cleansing and more's the pity, too.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2007, 04:26:26 am »

A can for your Bourdain-like culinary fortitude.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2007, 04:27:32 am »

I was thinking Andrew Zimmern. I would love to travel with that guy.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2007, 04:49:56 am »

Oh, AD... good for you.  I couldn't... just the idea of... just... no.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2007, 04:53:43 am »

my grandfather was telling me about how in Chile, people love to eat Ostrich eggs. He then commented that one of his friends preferred it when they were... he then got into a short discussion with my mom in spanish, at the end of which he said that the correct word in English was "fertilized." More meat, he said.

EW.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2007, 12:20:03 pm »

I was thinking Andrew Zimmern. I would love to travel with that guy.

Last night he was eating a tarantula. (In New Jersey - disappointingly little exotic travel involved.) I will eat a lot of stuff that other people think is gross, but I draw the line at anything that is still hairy, which this appeared to be.  Or anything, like in your description, that still has the feathers on it, no matter how little. Food should be naked, please.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 08:53:02 pm »

my grandfather was telling me about how in Chile, people love to eat Ostrich eggs. He then commented that one of his friends preferred it when they were... he then got into a short discussion with my mom in spanish, at the end of which he said that the correct word in English was "fertilized." More meat, he said.

EW.

I'm picturing a young Inev as played by Phillipe, and a Chilean grandfather as played by Liebot, and Inev is all covering his mouth with his flippers and hell of saying "Noooo!"
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2007, 10:13:22 pm »

I wish it had been like that.

Man, liebot could work some totally new rough chuckles if sometimes he had to ask someone what the proper english word was... it adds so much suspense.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2007, 04:04:19 pm »

I ate a Daifuku yesterday.   I was not initially prepared for the texture.  It was pretty rad.   Mine was red, and covered in flour.  The ladyfriend's was black and covered in black sesame seeds.

I think it is important to mention that the only reason I ate the daifuku was because it was mentioned here.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2007, 06:29:35 pm »

I ate a Daifuku yesterday.   I was not initially prepared for the texture.  It was pretty rad.   Mine was red, and covered in flour.  The ladyfriend's was black and covered in black sesame seeds.

I think it is important to mention that the only reason I ate the daifuku was because it was mentioned here.

Yay!!! I'm so glad you liked it. I fuck*ng love daifuku. They're so delicious. They also make some that have an entire CUNT inside instead of the azuku jam.

DAMMIT, Mi-wan just drank out of my water glass!!! :( I hate it when they do that. Thanks, dude, I really wanted to go downstairs and get a new glass.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2007, 06:32:40 pm »

You don't let your cats drink out of your glass?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2007, 06:38:45 pm »

Seriously, WTF? I drink behind my cat all the time. And he licks his ass. And I think he only does it because HE CAN.

And also you can get mochi everywhere here, and near as I can tell, Daifuku is a ball of mochi with something inside. In the freezer section of all the stores, they sell ice cream mochi, a ball of mochi with chocolate, vanilla or coffee ice cream inside.

At 7-11, you can pick up variety packs of mochi with different colors, fillings and on top. You used to be able to get coconut mochi mocha bars at Starbucks here but now they don't.  I can buy sacks of Mochi Flour and send them out if anyone wants to try making some Daifuku.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:47:29 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2007, 06:41:27 pm »

My cats won't let me go to the bathroom by myself. They watch me every time, because they think it's so fuck*ng funny that I have to use toilet paper.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Daifuku (the dessert thread)
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2007, 06:50:38 pm »

I finallyy gave up on trying to keep the cat hair out of my food. Now I just give one of them a few licks before every meal just to get it out of the way.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up