Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: China.  (Read 1876 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jeepers

  • Guest
China.
« on: August 07, 2006, 03:45:00 am »

Ok all,
 As promised about a month ago, I have returned from China and am here to be awesome.

The link is here: www.*****attack.shutterfly.com

The trip was awesome. I saw some incredible things there, ate some things I still cannot identify, and partied like a lord.
I stayed with my high school friend, she's been living there for about 4 years and is completely fluent. That made the whole trip so much easier. I went and saw the Great Wall, the Emperor's Summer Palace, Tiananmen Square, and the Forbidden City. I got worried a couple times, because it was apparent that we were being followed, but she reassured me that they were simply people from western China who had never seen a white person. They are very curious people.

I got sick after eating duck brain, and eyeball of something, but was back in touring condition within a day.

They pronounce China thusly: Zhong Hua.
I have no idea where we got China out of that.

I did not quit smoking, because they smoke like freight trains over there, and you can get actual Marlboro Lights for about $.80 a pack.

I went to a traditional Chinese opera, and had Peking Duck in Peking (Beijing).


I have begun the process of planning next years adventure. I'm thinking Amazon, or Outback.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 02:35:56 pm by jough »
Logged

Jeepers

  • Guest
Re: China.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:18:34 am »

i tried to do the link disguised as sentence thing, but it still made pound signs in the url. I do not know a way around this.

so here's the deal, click on the link and replace the pound signs with the word that one might use to describe a metal man, which begins with R.

that should do it.

If any of the mods have a way of allowing an instance of a filtered word, use of that ability in this situation would be appreciated.
Hope you all like the pics.
Logged

anotherpat

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: China.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:08:21 am »

as a Chinese Person-- who, for the record, has never actually been to China except for one community service trip-- I am heartily-glad you enjoyed China. It is a mighty pretty place, and the people are fascinating (when they are not being terrible conniving sneaky business-people.) from the pictures it looks like you've seen most of the awesome parts of China. Did you wander around the hutongs? some of them have housed 3 or 4 generations of the same family line under one roof for close to 600 years. Pity the Chinese government is trying to raze everything down in the name of progress... Also, seeing 100+ old Chinese people perform qi gong (a kind of very slow martial art) en masse to calming er hu music at 7 am in the morning is something I really enjoy, and always miss whenever I go overseas to all you Western folks' countries.

By the way, we Chinese call China Zhong Guo -- literally, the Middle/Central Kingdom. The reason why English-speaking people call it China, is because of the Qin (pronounced sort of like Chin) Dynasty. Westerners probably visited China during that period for trade and relations, thus: Qin --> China.

Education.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: China.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 03:51:20 pm »

That's an impressive amount of China there but of course my question is - who's the French bulldog?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: China.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 11:42:46 pm »

what does your friend do there?  how much chinese could she speak before she left?
Pages: [1]   Go Up