Yea, my freshman year I really screwed up. I would get stoned and play two square (like 4 square but with your feet) until like 6 am. Then I would wake up (sometimes) for class at 9:30. I got a 2.9 my first semester, and a 2.2 my second. I also took a ridiculous amount of classes. I haven't really changed anything since then, except I ALWAYS go to class, and I pay great attention. Also, your first year is always the one where you take more widely varied classes. These suck, and lots of them are in the morning with no attendence policy. Make sure you go to these. These are also the classes with really lame multiple choice tests, these suck. Since I got into my major, I always become friends with my professors, do great work, and do as many outside of class "activities" as always. I cannot emphasize enough becoming friends with your professors and going to office hours like early in the semester just to talk (if he/she is cool at all). Most of my professors have been former stoners that always are like making jokes about it and what not. For instance, one time I was up in my instructors office where he was going to give me and a few other people a paper of some sort. When he couldn't find it, he said, "In my old life back in California, I would have asked whose holding". After finding the papers in his bag, he made some joke about dealing that I have since forgotten. I have taken three classes with this guy, and always get A's because he enjoys my writing and knows I always do the reading. That is all most professors ask for, just to see you are trying and can procss information. Then again, I am a history major, so I am sure not all are like this. I have made near 4 points each semester since getting into my major. Just remember, it gets easier as you go.
Bongs:
First on all, if you make a gravity bong using a glass bowl from a real bong, a trick is to stick a straw in the bottom of the stem. This way, you can get a gravity bong that actually cools the smoke, and wicked cool bubbles filled with smoke that come up to the surface. A bucket is much preferred in these areas for the base. Glass bongs are indeed overrated, and I generally view them as excessive and just something to show off with. That said, I owned one until the DEA showed up at my house. Bubblers and chilums, on the other hand, are a mans best friend.
Remember, while a hit of kief in the morning makes a man as strong as a 1,000 elephants, many hits make a man lazy, but do not take away his ability to learn. The hardest part about college is not the work, but making yourself do the work. Just do it, and it will be almost as easy as high school, especially once you get into your major and actually care about your classes.
Also, my freshman year, we used to smoke in the bullpen of the baseball field. I know you don't smoke, you may take it up (it's college man), but if you don't you should look for cool places like this that you can just hang in at night with your friends. Every campus/college town has lesser known spots that are fuck*ng awesome to get away from the craziness. Oh, you are going somewhere in St. Louis I remember, never mind that college town bit, but your school will still have some awesome places to chill that aren't like the student union or some lame coffee shop.
One time I took mushrooms the night before a 8:30 class and it sucked. As previously mentioned, keep the psychedelics for the weekends.
Oh yeah, jackets. It gets well below 20 F here, but only for about a month worth of days throughout the year. The wind is the real thing you need to look out for. Personally, I can go to the top of a Mountain in Boulder CO at night during Christmas break wearing:
Long john full body suit (seriously this is really all you need), leg coverings fit for public sight (some call them ******), a long undershirt that goes ontop of the long johns, and a hoody/ button down long sleeve and light soccer warm up jacket that is insulated awesome.
I am all about layers. Get some type of cheap moderate weight jacket made out of rain proof material for rain. Or just buy the bad ass Wayne Coyne jacket.