Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: xkcd Parody  (Read 9479 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 11:37:07 pm »

Upon reflection I've discovered why the parody week didn't sit with me.   It was just too dead on.   Aside from the minor art differences, the comics could be direct lifts of the actual comics parodied, which doesn't sit to me as a parody exactly, more imitation.

To that regard, they were VERY good imitations.  No fun was poked, really, just fan fiction. 
Logged

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 11:47:26 pm »

Upon reflection I've discovered why the parody week didn't sit with me.   It was just too dead on.   Aside from the minor art differences, the comics could be direct lifts of the actual comics parodied, which doesn't sit to me as a parody exactly, more imitation.

To that regard, they were VERY good imitations.  No fun was poked, really, just fan fiction. 

 I sort of had that feeling too. Also, he mainly parodied webcomics that were supposed to be funny: serious one's usually supply more material.
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 02:05:01 am »

the board has an autowarning that says Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic. However, people tend to say, "Havent' we talked about this before??" So I'm just going to resurrect an old topic rather than start a new one.

My new favorite XKCD comic is the one about Jimmy Carter being terrorized by a rabbit:  http://xkcd.com/c204.html

In Carter's defense, it coulda been a nutria.

RABBIT REDUX

Dear Cecil:

I have a theory that should put to rest this President Carter/killer rabbit thing once and for all. I propose that the president's antagonist was not a rabbit but a nutria (Myocastor coypus). The world's largest rodent, the nutria is semiaquatic with webbed hind feet and is very aggressive. Native to South America and valued for its durable fur, the nutria was introduced into the southern United States in the last century and quickly became a well-established pest species. A partially submerged nutria (a lightning-fast swimmer) would look very similar to a rabbit. Its lack of long, rabbitlike ears could easily be overlooked in the fog of battle.

I hope this serves to partially rehabilitate the much-maligned 39th president. --Thomas Canaday, San Francisco, California

Cecil replies:

You think being attacked by the "world's largest rodent" is an improvement? Then again, it had to give Carter a taste of what it would be like fending off Alfonse D'Amato.

Incidentally, the nutria isn't the world's largest rodent. The honor, such as it is, goes to the capybara, 110 pounds of pure ugly. Jimmy should count his blessings.

--CECIL ADAMS
Logged

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 12:12:10 pm »

The capybara, 110 pounds of pure ugly.

Gah! The capybara is the cutest of all the huge water-dwelling rodents.

Also, this is so true it hurts: http://xkcd.com/c202.html
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 12:35:41 am »

This is my favorite one:  http://xkcd.com/c10.html
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2007, 01:49:30 am »

There is nothing ugly about capybaras.

Edit: I like this one. Why don't I read this comic?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 04:15:59 am »

My favourite was one I can't find now - about exercise and wanting to do so more once he associated it with powering-up.

That's totally what got me into fitness.  I keep thinking of my weight loss milestones as reaching "the next level" with  <300lbs. being a level boss, etc.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007, 05:33:11 am »

My favourite was one I can't find now - about exercise and wanting to do so more once he associated it with powering-up.

That's totally what got me into fitness.  I keep thinking of my weight loss milestones as reaching "the next level" with  <300lbs. being a level boss, etc.

Schweet! I'll have to find that comic. It's all about leveling-up! That is hella rad. That thought keeps me going on bad days.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007, 06:39:17 am »

Here it is, titled "Exercise":

http://www.xkcd.com/c189.html

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2007, 07:04:11 am »

Has this video been posted yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUdU8Q0nAo
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2007, 08:52:48 am »

Has this video been posted yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUdU8Q0nAo

Yup, though I can't find the thread off-hand.

Much was agreed to about that not being Ray's voice. At all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2007, 12:50:29 pm »

Oh, I love this one too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2007, 03:10:47 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 01:02:54 am »

Oh poop. You know what I hate?  Reading dozens of comics in an archive before noticing they have that alt-text dealie.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: xkcd Parody
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 01:22:36 am »

Oh poop. You know what I hate?  Reading dozens of comics in an archive before noticing they have that alt-text dealie.

I remember talking to my wombie (kellichou, not omba) about the Achewood strip. We were talking about the Halloween series wherein Philippe is kidnapped by Nice Pete. We were talking about Mr. Bear's Mini with the retrofitted switches for Laphroaig, &c. I responded with the alt-text (which I believe was "the catalytic converter warms fine brandies" or something like that). She gently and ever-so-diplomatically explained the varietal of Scotch to which Laphroaig belongs. We shared a hearty chuckle as I explained the alt-text phenomenon, and that I was not mistakenly calling Laphroaig "brandy". Since then I've never forgotten it. It's a fun Easter egg on webcomics.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up