Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: AOL searches  (Read 5730 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 04:26:46 pm »

I kind of had less of a problem with that, as I assume most people don't know how to efficiently and effectively use Google. I still have friends who will ask me where to find something, and even after I tell them to use Google, I end up having to go and Google it myself for them.
It baffles me really, it can't be difficult surely? Although I guess it takes learning...

I think it's mostly a thing of ignorance.  For them, search engines are magic.  Boolean logic?  What's that?

Or maybe it's easier having come from an era with much much more frustrating search engines that took some skill to navigate?  (Anyone remember Hotbot?  Altavista? Man those were rough days.)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:00:07 pm »

dude, even I remember those! I think.

I remember this friend's mom who did not understand that Search Engines search everything-- "wait, so what if I wanted a recipe?"
"use google."
"but... that's what you said to use when I wanted a website!"
"yes. a recipe on the internet is on a website."
"oh. but... so I use the same thing?"

oof.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 10:40:24 pm »

My father isn't able to tell the difference between searching for a website and typing it in the address bar, either.  I've just learned to live with it, because I don't have trips home scheduled just to teach my parents how to use their technology.

Still, though, he's able to use his iPod.  So go Apple, I guess.

And while I normally use the KEYWORD KEYWORD KEYWORD METALLICA method of searching, sometimes you do get lucky searching for a complete sentence.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 12:49:44 am »

Altavista was my favourite search engine, followed by Hotbot.

Google is of course my true love, but it's starting to look a little long in the tooth.  I expect that they will make their search results better, though, if anything else better comes along.  They're just too big to die out now.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 01:54:34 am »

My father isn't able to tell the difference between searching for a website and typing it in the address bar, either.  I've just learned to live with it, because I don't have trips home scheduled just to teach my parents how to use their technology.

Still, though, he's able to use his iPod.  So go Apple, I guess.

And while I normally use the KEYWORD KEYWORD KEYWORD METALLICA method of searching, sometimes you do get lucky searching for a complete sentence.

I still rue the day that I taught my dad the difference between searching for a website and typing it in the address bar. Once I showed him "Google" and that he could type in stuff like "classic cars" you could see the cogs in his mind a-turnin'.  After that, much like Beef, I wanted to type though a napkin. That was the day that he realized his $1200 computer was now a $1200 pron machine.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 03:02:46 am »

Nothing is more upsetting than having a parent who is technologically advanced enough to find porn, but is unable to learn how to delete his history, and who expects you to do all the routine maintenance on his computer.  *Shudder*
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 03:03:58 am »

"So that fetish is hereditary I guess... huh."
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 05:12:05 am »

yeah. I found porn on my parent's computer once. It might have been my brother's, though.

now someone has set it so that History is automatically deleted instantly on that computer. Which is a bitch when I need to use it for some reason.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 10:43:35 pm »

Mmm, Parental Pr0n (L@@K @ M3 I @m 31337!!!111) is serious times, especially when they end up with hell of prono related spyware.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:21:33 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: AOL searches
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 10:47:47 pm »

Yes... boo to parents who are savy enough to look for such things, but not savy enough to handle all the crap that you'll pick up along the way.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up