Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant  (Read 6043 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

guns and cigarettes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« on: August 18, 2006, 07:55:19 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08182006

EDIT: Now in the light of day I do see that Ray's taking a mulligan, and that does in fact make this strip just a bit better.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 04:51:50 pm by guns and cigarettes »
Logged

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:05:52 am »

Ray has a photographic memory for gay pr0n
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04:50 am »

This stream of dialog had me loudly snickering. Good show.
Logged

DanSC

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 79
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:16:32 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08182006

I guess I like that Ray's using a yo-yo in the last panel. All in all, meh.

He's not using a yo-yo; he's taking a mulligan. It's a golf ball. Apparently he didn't like the look of his last shot. You can see him following it in panel 3, then he looks pretty dissatisfied in panels 5 and 6. I like the casualness of it all; Ray clearly wouldn't need to play golf strictly by the book.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:20:26 am by DanSC »
Logged
"If you can't have fun playin' with a toy truck, then it's time to reevaluate your life."

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:27:37 am »

Either a grey haze is used to represent flashbacks, or Pat is trying to cook a turkey for the first time.
Logged
ACHIEVE

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:52:19 pm »

Either a grey haze is used to represent flashbacks, or Pat is trying to cook a turkey for the first time.

That panel isn't a flashback it's a hypothetical look at the future.

You can also see T looking with mild suprise at Ray casually taking the mulligan.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:20:24 pm »

I am probably just in a dying-summer, possibly-wasted-life, irrelevant-to-the-comic bad mood, but I am vaguely pissed off that this cartoon and the thread discussing it assume that I know what a 'mulligan' is and/or that I should care enough to Google it.  I love you Onstad and messageboard but you are such guys.



Note: The spell checker recognizes "mulligan", but not "Google". I mean, seriously, WTF?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 03:37:00 pm »

For all: it's when you take a do-over.

SHEESH lady, all you hadda do was ask.

(yes i am a guy)

For some reason I continually mix up mulligan and MacGuffin in casual speech. I have no idea why this is.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:02:50 pm »

I'm really not interested in the whole mechanics and impacts of Pat becoming the Primary Gay Player.

The running bit with Ray casually taking a unasked for mulligan in a game he and T usually play for money however, is classic Ray.

So basically, THANKS ONSTAD FOR GIVING UP SOMETHING ENTERTAINING HERE.

PAT/CHUCKLEBOT PAIRING 4 LYF
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 04:33:17 pm »

I'm just tickled that Ray (of course) has stereotypes about homosexuals, and that (of course) these stereotypes are bizarre.

Worth reading.  Even though I didn't have my contacts in and I had to squint.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:34:44 pm »

PAT/CHUCKLEBOT PAIRING 4 LYF


Please don't let us ever see a Pat/Arthur/Mr. Gary Isosceles Lock
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 04:38:31 pm »

I was under the impression that gay men prefer Miatas.

T's hypothetical voicemail message was definitely the high point of this strip.  "The gay closet" is wonderfully awkward.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 05:20:41 pm »

I love the alt text, and I'm not usually fond of the alt texts. And considering that this is an arc about Pat, things are unusually... restrained so far, aren't they? I mean, no one even got shot yet...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 06:27:25 pm »

I'm still waiting for some kind soul to explain the punchline to me.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 18 August 2006: Gay guys think like in an instant
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 07:22:07 pm »

so, I screamed out "Isoceles Lock!" at a show yesterday. Apparently the Isoceles Lock is the symbol of the band Modest penis?

in other news: how long can my ears "ring" before it means something really bad? is 15 hours a long time for this to be going on?
I never thought 1 concert could make me entirely re-consider my guitar tone. But goddamn, that treble is painful.

in other news: I am proud that I know what a Mulligan is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up