Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Poll

Do you think that Karr really did it?

Yes
No
I'm not sure
Indifferent/Don't care

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?  (Read 7752 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 01:56:05 pm »

I swear to god, the Daily Show is the way of the future. See... he tells the real news, but he makes jokes about it so it will be entertaining. Instead of only mentioning entertaining news.

they just need another version where the fake news is more clearly delineated. because sometimes, it is hard to tell... sadly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 02:05:20 pm »

It's to the point now where I can't even stand to watch the news.  I'm not fooling myself into believing there was a time when things were "better" I guess, but it does seem with the marginalizing and polarizing of opinions being presented and the obsession with ratings on the newscasts, we've lost focus of what once was really important there. 
So... yeah.. sorry about that, I guess I got off on a rant.

A rant I do thoroughly condone. I'm pretty anti-'the news' now, and that's the fuck*ng BBC. I get angered by the bad reporting, the bad grammar (they're fuck*ng trained, they should know better) and the 'human interest' shite. But worse than that is the sensationalism and fear-mongering that crops up in our Americanised news coverage. Admittedly, the majority of that on the normal British news only crops up when children are killed, but that's some of the most annoying, as it melds with the human interest story style of reporting on it.
I don't need the families of murdered, raped children appealing for help with tearful eyes and broken sentences. I don't need the 'this is what we wanted' statements the minute someone is actually jailed. It doesn't get us anywhere. It's not news. I know people consider having someone locked up as revenge, that doesn't mean I need to know more than that this person was caught and is doing time, if that. As far as the children issue goes, I certainly don't expect it to become such pervasive news that it takes up all the coverage, with reporters living in the village 24/7 to corner the police on scene, and to do interviews with concerned neighbours. Again, someone's opinion of the 12 year old's life being so precious, so innocent, so torn away, is not fuck*ng news! But it's all we get the minute something like the Soham  murders happen. It's not like they didn't have their suspects from the start with that case. Yes, two girls are tragically killed... Shit happens, I'm sorry to say.
All this kind of news does is keep people from letting their children go outside alone. I love the, I think it's Norwegian way of dealing with childhood deaths, which is to admit that yes, they happen, and to get over it. I don't know whether we have the news media to thank for it, but people seem to think they can control every aspect of their own, and their families lives, and it's clearly never going to be the case.
Even with things like the July subway bombings in London... Coverage for the anniversary featured tearful interviews with survivors as they remembered the horror they lived through. It struck me that the media was instilling a level of post traumatic stress is survivors of disasters. Where the majority of people might learn to live with what happened, even considering themselves maybe... lucky say, for living through it, now they are sobbing uncontrollably as they recount the events. I've almost died a couple of times, and both I considered myself incredibly lucky and decided to do more with my life. I felt like an asshole for thinking that about these survivors, but fortunately a day later someone was on the radio commenting on exactly the same phenomenon. As for, like you say Mel, the favouritism when it comes to choosing stories that will sell both papers or airtime... It's deeply sickening. I'd love to see the chart they have telling us why and how and who will make the biggest splash. I'm sure it's more complicated than you might think, with different categories and venn diagram style crossovers stating that say, the handicapped may be in this section, children in this, but add the two and lo...
I find the news incredibly depressing now, and mostly because of the way it is presented, the attitudes and opinions of the presenters and producers, and the hateful, fear-mongering presence with which they pervade society.

OK, now I'll shut up.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 02:34:30 pm »

I swear to god, the Daily Show is the way of the future. See... he tells the real news, but he makes jokes about it so it will be entertaining. Instead of only mentioning entertaining news.

they just need another version where the fake news is more clearly delineated. because sometimes, it is hard to tell... sadly.

Alternately, get rid of the (mostly useless, usually awkward and not entertaining) interviews.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 02:55:38 pm »

Alternately, get rid of the (mostly useless, usually awkward and not entertaining) interviews.

To be fair, I do fnid interest in some of the interviews with authors, politicians (some) and specialists. Apart from that, I would tend to agree. Perhaps if he brought it down to one or two interviews a week instead of every show.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 04:19:16 pm »

To be fair, I do fnid interest in some of the interviews with authors, politicians (some) and specialists. Apart from that, I would tend to agree. Perhaps if he brought it down to one or two interviews a week instead of every show.

I think she was referring to the on-location interviews with regular people. Like the kid whose head was too big for a football helmet. If so I totally agree. I usually ffwd through those because they're just awkward and not entertaining.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 05:21:19 pm »

I think she was referring to the on-location interviews with regular people. Like the kid whose head was too big for a football helmet. If so I totally agree. I usually ffwd through those because they're just awkward and not entertaining.

Actually, slink was right; however, I meant to say "get rid of the interviews with celebrities and other such [in my opinion] useless people."

I don't watch the show enough anymore to know to what Cort is referring, but I agree that it sounds like a segment that could stand to be cut.  However, it is a fake news show after all, so, though the coverage given to world events may be better than that of most news programmes, we should not expect them to focus all their attention on said events.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 12:47:37 am »

Sometimes the authors and politicians on the show give an interview quite poorly.  Kilborne should mail in his five questions.
Logged
ACHIEVE

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 02:04:00 am »

Well, it looks like Karr's claim to have killed JonBenet was a hoax. To reiterate a previous post: NEWS FLASH, 130 pound white pedophile in Thai prison gives false confession in order to get extradited to US, story at 10.

The clincher for me is that he got champagne and prawns on his business class flight from Bangkok to LA.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 02:22:50 am »

But hang on, if you can get extradited one way, can't you get extradited straight back or will this be another example of the US's unique take on foreign policy in play?
(to be fair I can see not wanting to extradite someone to a country where punishments are considered too extreme but last I checked the US system isn't exactly lenient on pedophiles anyway).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 05:58:18 am »

As I see it, there will be two competing drives for Thai authorities, here.

1. The desire to discourage pedophilia and administer justice to pedophiles.
2. The desire not to have extra pedophiles in their country. I bet they are full up.

They may think "not our problem," in which case he'll likely be tried on child porn charges in California.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 03:24:46 pm »

God, I would so love to not follow this case, but if it's going to be on the top of the hour news on NPR what am I supposed to do?

There was a clip of his lawyer being indignant that they'd torn him away from Thailand without any concrete evidence.  Um, if you don't want to be accused of a crime, try not confessing to it next time?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 04:38:15 pm »

"my client is outraged that he is not allowed to stay in Thai jail."

I wish there were a new form of punctuation which indicated an imaginary quote.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 03:19:30 am »

Quote from: inev's imagination
"my client is outraged that he is not allowed to stay in Thai jail."
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 04:46:34 am »

what's funny is, I read that and then thought "I could have used a quote box!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: New developments in JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 07:18:40 am »

Dammit!

California doesn't need more of those either.

I kinda like the ide of the guy being shutdown in a Thai jail, but whatever locks his ass up will work I suppose.

His ass better have some heavy duty locks it.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up