Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Shooting Sports  (Read 13246 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 07:58:30 am »

I am not a very good omnivore. I would rather just buy some vegetables at the store and make some butternut squash spring rolls, or some daal (Indian lentil soup).

Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 06:49:17 pm »

It feels more honest to me to deal with getting the pig to give up his delicious pork chops directly rather than hiring a middle man. I have the equipment to handload for my rifles. I build and test my own cartridges, go out and find, stalk and kill game animals in an environment in which they are well ahead of me in equipment and familiarity. Then I do my own butchering and toting and wrapping and freezing.

And when I put Fr. Oink or Daddy Bambi or Bugs to the BBQ or skillet I get to remember the day and the way that meal happened, and it gives me great pleasure and makes me feel darn grateful for the day. Then I eat the fucker up yum.

It floats my boat.
Logged
We must repeat!

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 10:03:24 pm »

See, I guess I don't mind guns that much.  I grew up on 64 acres in the "country", so you would think I should probably like guns.  Well, I don't.  I have never shot one before.  Basically, I think if you guys get guns, then I should get drugs.  At least my thing has a purpose besides killing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 12:23:59 am »

I, personally, am pretty scared of guns. I understand why people would have them, I guess. But I would never own one.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 01:47:06 am »

I get hunting if you're going to eat it but around these parts folks tend to hunt rabbits and kangaroos and wild boar and such just for the hell of it (for all their cuteness kangaroos are quite a pest in some parts) and that just is kind of empty to me since the victory of a man with a giant goddamn boomstick over a basically moronic animal is all you get out of it if you're not going to get a tasty meal.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 05:29:32 am »

I, personally, am pretty scared of guns. I understand why people would have them, I guess. But I would never own one.

That's how I felt...until I was stalked. Then I decided that I wanted to get a gun and get damned friendly with how to use one. I want to be able to pull it out from under my bed in the middle of the night when I'm half-dead on pain meds and be able to hit someone who's breaking into my bedroom window or walking in my bedroom door.

Then a good friend of mine took me to the shooting range, got me a .357, and the rest -- as they say -- is history. Some quality one-on-one time with someone you trust implicitly and who has an unwavering commitment to gun safety makes all the difference in the world. With his help I'm a pretty damn good shot at close range.

I need to order some targets from Cabela's in BULK. My favorite is the black kind that has a green layer beneath, so it's really easy to see where you've hit. They're also really expensive up here.

There are few things more satisfying than busting out a firearm and blasting some targets. "OMG IT'S HEADED STRAIGHT FOR US!!" is our favorite line as we shoot. The best is going to a private range outdoors where there are few other people. I went to an indoor range in Denver once and it suuuuuucked. It was dirty, disgusting, noisy as hell... it was terrible. Outdoors is where it's at.

I have to be careful, though... since he pours his own bullets, I always collect my spent shell casings and put them in my opposite pocket. I bet that one of these days I'll be going through airport security and get my grubby li'l paws swabbed, and then I'll have to explain that I was at the shooting range as they handcuff me.
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 06:04:34 am »

Love the name of thoses things...Shoot-n-see.

Might check Midway USA and Brownell's for bulk items too, if they'll ship to your remote outpost. Go ahead and order a Lee anniversary kit and a three die carbide set and a Franklin dial gauge and 500 laser cast 158g FP's and a pound of Unique and some CCI 300's. The you're all set for evenings of fun. Read Lee's manual first, then go forth.
Logged
We must repeat!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 01:59:31 pm »

since he pours his own bullets,

I have no idea what this could possibly mean so I have two mental pictures.  In one, he is at a bar filling you a glass full of ammunition.  In the other, you are in your kitchen melting metal and pouring it into molds, perhaps also some little heart-shaped chocolate molds too just for fun.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 03:42:56 pm »

I have no idea what this could possibly mean so I have two mental pictures.  In one, he is at a bar filling you a glass full of ammunition.  In the other, you are in your kitchen melting metal and pouring it into molds, perhaps also some little heart-shaped chocolate molds too just for fun.

You literally melt lead and pour it into moulds, I guess. I've never been there while he's done it. I'm guessing that you fill the end of the casing with gunpowder in specific amounts, and then the lead goes in the top.
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 04:36:32 pm »

Uhh, kinda #2 like Linnea said Wombat. You smelt your own mix of lead, tin and antimony depending on the hardness of the material you want and pour it off into molds to form bullets. There's a whole buncha processing that goes on before and after but I'll spare y'all the gory details. Except to say that lead poisoning is a real concern and basically why I buy commercial hardcast instead of making my own at this point.

ALSO: I could see engraving a mold cavity so it shapes a bullet with a little heart on each nose. A box of those would make such a good V-Day gift to the right gal.
Logged
We must repeat!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 09:35:42 pm »

ALSO: I could see engraving a mold cavity so it shapes a bullet with a little heart on each nose. A box of those would make such a good V-Day gift to the right gal.

Fuck yes, dude. You get a tiny can for that. I would totally melt if the right fella or lady gave me a box of rounds like that. Hella rad.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 12:19:30 am »

Education. Um, I think.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 05:54:35 am »

I'm actually spending tomorrow at the range sighting in my new rifle and scope. I've done target shooting as a hobby on and off since I was maybe 13. I don't think I could do hunting though. Dragging some dead deer/bear/bald eagle back to my car would just be annoying and who wants to clean up THAT mess?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 06:08:37 am »

My most recent work. I've just finished working up my own CX2 handloads and am having a little fun with my Marlin 1895G in 45/70 Govt on the 100 yard line.



Basically a hunting rifle, I can get good groupings if I am a little more patient and let the barrel cool down after the first two rounds. I didn't wait long enough and that's why I've got the high right POI shift. Nice to see the first two are on top of each other though.

So what's your rig setup and what distances/target types are you working with. Any competition?

Logged
We must repeat!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 03:31:10 am »

To be honest, I am pretty much Batman on the topic of guns. Can't stand the sight of them. Would rather work toward a future where none are needed than go around admitting that there are probably some situations where they are needed tools.

As I said in that thread about traumatic experiences, my cousin died basically because of how easy it was for a seventeen-year-old kid with the clear warning signs of a schizoid meltdown to get his hands on a shotgun. I'm not rational on the subject and I pretty much admit it.

The irony, of course, is that my dad worked at the Remington Arms gun factory for nearly thirty years and pretty much knows everything about guns anyone could ever know.

It was the only good paying job for someone with only a year of community college and baby-me had to be fed... so he worked there, working the line when the economy was bad and working in the R&D department when the economy was good.

He was such a crack shot that he was sent down to FBI headquarters a few times to show off the weapons to government buyers and so on and some of his co-workers tried to pressure him into trying out for the shooting sport portions of the Olympics.

But he always said "I don't like guns, I pretend I'm making blenders."

After Alan died, he said that when he found out he wasn't killed with a Remington, it was one of the biggest reliefs of his life. Like if he had known he had... designed the ergonomics of the trigger or... created the process of the powder coating... on the gun that killed his eldest nephew, he would've never been able to live with himself.

My pop retired young from a heart condition and we are pretty sure it was from the harsh chemicals he worked with at Remington but we'd have no way to prove it in court, of course. He's 52 and some days it's about all he can do to clean some dishes and feed the birds.

I'm pretty much not rational about guns.

There's a little voice in the back of my head that says that if I ever snap, I'm just gonna get a sledgehammer and start breaking into houses and destroying every gun I can find until someone killed me, under the thought that I would probably be saving other people's lives with that kind of suicide.

Christ. This is kind of dark and I don't mean to tramp on this thread but... uhm...

I dunno, the venting kind of made me feel better, I'm gonna hit "post" and...

Hope I don't come off like a total douchebag.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up