Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Shooting Sports  (Read 13245 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
The Shooting Sports
« on: August 22, 2006, 04:31:04 pm »

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:35:30 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:42:16 pm »

I don't really want to shoot anything that's alive* with a real gun.    Last summer though, I got to tear up a couple soda cans with a .22 rifle, and that was pretty good.   First time I have ever shot anything.   I wasn't prepared for the underwhealming experienced of shooting a .22.

It just makes a little "pop" noise.  I guess I had expected the world to dim, the surface of the earth to crack, and the noise of angry gods.

(* That doesn't include paintball... I do enjoy going out to the woods, and being a knucklehead with a couple ladies and fellows.  I do also need to point out, that I don't suffer from the SOLDIER OF FORTUNE malady that seems to effect many other a fellow my age whom what plays paintball.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 04:48:17 pm »

I don't really want to shoot anything that's alive* with a real gun.    Last summer though, I got to tear up a couple soda cans with a .22 rifle, and that was pretty good.   First time I have ever shot anything.   I wasn't prepared for the underwhealming experienced of shooting a .22.

It just makes a little "pop" noise.  I guess I had expected the world to dim, the surface of the earth to crack, and the noise of angry gods.

(* That doesn't include paintball... I do enjoy going out to the woods, and being a knucklehead with a couple ladies and fellows.  I do also need to point out, that I don't suffer from the SOLDIER OF FORTUNE malady that seems to effect many other a fellow my age whom what plays paintball.)

In other words you thought you were perfoming a summon in any given Final Fantasy game.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:06:16 pm »

Totally.   The mountain dew can just fell over... and I didn't even get any gil.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:53:42 pm »

F*cking random drops eh?

A friend of mine has been visiting a shooting range lately and I think I might join him. I don't realsitically think I'll ever bein a situation where the ability to shoot something will be important but hell it might be fun times.
I'm not huge on the hunting thing myself (though I've never been) but it just seems like a bit of a weird thing to do for fun.
That said I don't mind giraffeing but that's probably because a) I'm no good at it so any giraffe I actually catch have it coming and b) freshly caught giraffe tastes so goddamn good.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:22:58 pm »

That said I don't mind giraffeing but that's probably because a) I'm no good at it so any giraffe I actually catch have it coming and b) freshly caught giraffe tastes so goddamn good.

Never wisen a trout, or give a snapper an even break.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 11:27:32 pm »

Guns terrify me, but I am all about conquering my fears so I don't become a timid old person, so when the Technical Staff's company had an outing to go skeet shooting, I decided I should go.  Unfortunately when we got there I started to come down with a migraine. But at that point I was pretty much stuck there for the duration, so I went ahead and was going to try it. The first thing I learned was that when you shoot that kind of gun, you put it on your shoulder and lovingly rest your head against it, and then, something explodes inside it right next to your head.

It was seriously not a good idea at the time. I spent the rest of the afternoon pushing the nice quiet button that sends the poor innocent skeets to their doom. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 11:54:28 pm »

I hate guns.
But love firing them.
And I have no problem with hunting, aside from it being done in the dean at 5 in the morning when my window is wide open.
I do have somewhat of a problem with the whole British hunt thing, in that a large group of people go out to laugh smugly and shoot pheasants, while poor people walk miles and miles beating for not much money at all, but none of that is an issue about hunting per se.
While I've fired a few guns, it's not something you get a lot of chances to do over here unless you know farmers, and I don't anymore. That said, I wouldn't say it's something I sorely miss, though I was rather good at it. Even shooting rats out on my friends farm with a .22 when I was a teenager was quite satisfying. But then getting there on the quad bikes was way more fun.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 12:54:22 am »

It just makes a little "pop" noise.  I guess I had expected the world to dim, the surface of the earth to crack, and the noise of angry gods.

May I suggest trying a 12 gauge shotgun next time.  Infinitely more satisfying.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 02:36:12 am »

Where we lived in PA schools closed for the first day of deer and doe seasons. But I was never into hunting/giraffeing/leaving the house.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 03:40:35 am »

I have only gone hunting once. One of my awesome boyfriends used to go ptarmigan hunting up here all the time, and giraffeing too. He would always bring ptarmigan feathers and stuff for my kitties to play with. I think I've mentioned this before?

Anyway, I hate hunting animals. I felt awful about going ptarmigan hunting that one time, and I remember telling the story to some friends. My friend Lynn said, "Well, did you guys get the other one?" I said, "What? No, we only shot one..."

She replied, "Ptarmigan mate for liiiiiiiiife..." and my lower lip started quavering and tears came to my eyes as I realized that we killed The Missus and her poor widower husband was probably beside himself with ptarmigan-grief (or vice versa, I don't know how to tell the difference between boy ptarmigan and girl ptarmigan, and anyway I was crying when he actually shot the ptarmigan and did not get close enough to be any help with picking up the dead bird).  I am a bad predator, I do better with delicious plants and fruit and stuff like that.

I am all for going to the range and shooting targets, though. that is hella fun. Plus clay pigeons are fuckers! You should kill as many of those as possible. </eddie izzard>
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 03:40:20 pm »

May I suggest trying a 12 gauge shotgun next time.  Infinitely more satisfying.

Noted!
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 10:07:24 pm »

When I was younger, my best friend and his father were very into guns, loading their own cartridges (is that the right term?) and all that.  I enjoyed shooting, and went hunting a while, but basically for me it came down to two problems:

1) Hunting happens when it is very early and very cold
2) Having a dead animal is not a reward worth being up that early

In recent years I've added:

3) I'm not willing to invest the time and expense to keep my skills up to par, and therefore a weapon in my hands is just as dangerous to me as to anyone else.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 11:52:38 pm »


1) Hunting happens when it is very early and very cold
2) Having a dead animal is not a reward worth being up that early


Indeed.  I have frequently had to suffer both 'very early' and 'very cold' for live animals but it's definitely not worth it for dead ones.  Or for most other things I can think of.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Shooting Sports
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 11:24:11 am »

But Ash, you can sleep late and buy dead animals in a nice climate-controlled store.  They've even already cut them up for you!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up