Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thinking of getting a Wacom tablet, suggestions?  (Read 1825 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
thinking of getting a Wacom tablet, suggestions?
« on: August 23, 2006, 04:13:02 am »

So I'm thinking a lot about getting myself a Wacom tablet or some other method to help with drawing and the computer. I love Photoshop and I've been working a lot with color and stuff. I think I'm ready to take the next step, and since all my drawing/drafting media is back home in Denver, I figured I'd skip the scanner step and just input directly into my computer -- hence my desire for a tablet. I hear the Wacom ones are good.

Any thoughts? Anyone have experiences with these things, as I have never used one but they look damn cool? Is buying one at an online auction okay, or should I buy one new from a retailer (also online since I live 800 miles by air from the nearest computer store)?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: thinking of getting a Wacom tablet, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 04:40:17 am »

A Wacom tablet?  No, just take a Valium.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: thinking of getting a Wacom tablet, suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:21:47 pm »

I have a couple of Wacoms, an old A6 I use with my laptop, and from when I started working as a real graphic designer, I got an Intuos2 A3. They are really good, and I certainly can't recommend them enough over the others. I have used ones made by Trust and the like and they just aren't the same. They seem to all feel light and plasticy, and not just the build quality but the way it seems to interface with the computer too.
A6s are quite small, and not really very good for drawing, inking or colouring, hence my step up. I would however, were I buying it now, get an A4 over the A3, as it's... A bit big. (I think fuck*ng huge might be the words I was looking for.)
So yes, as far as tablets go, I can't recommend Wacom enough, they just feel right. They're thoroughly eBayable mind you, as I got my new one from there, which made it considerably cheaper than getting it new (I think I got about £200 off that way). That is, unless you want to go with the Cintiq (drool). My how I want one of those...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: thinking of getting a Wacom tablet, suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:51:57 pm »

As a non-graphic designer, I can only tell you that I've seen a Cintiq in action and they truly are "teh sex."  Otherwise, all the advice I've heard mirrors Slink's: stay with Wacom (I've heard of no one who uses another brand if they are truly serious), and get one larger than you think you want (but not huge).
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

NobleSavage

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4
  • Vegetables are murder.
    • View Profile
Re: thinking of getting a Wacom tablet, suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 05:14:15 am »

Wacom's are nice, and most people seem to enjoy them. I have one, but actually prefer doing computer illustrations (most of my comics) with an average $10 penis. Experiment with a few things, and figure out what works best. Ebay is a good idea for wacoms, in case you end up not liking it, then at least you didn't pay $200 for one. Like me  >:(
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up