Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow  (Read 7529 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to whomever can CJ that Achewood comic for me. Ray says something about Pluto ain't bein' no planet at all, it's just a pissed off piece of snow. I thought that was particularly appropriate given the recent news concerning Pluto's non-status as a planet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5282440.stm
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:47:09 pm »

I am very distressed by this.  I understand that there is no reasonable definition of planet that lets in Pluto and not a lot of other stupid things.  But tradition is also important. There is no reason the definition can't have, like, a grandfather clause or something like that.

Just another reason I hate academics.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 12:04:22 am »

Quote from: Toronto Star Newspaper
Link to newspaper story here.
"I think something like this opens people up to learning more and exploring more." said Julie Jones, a staff scientist at the Ontario Science Centre.

But, "do we change the exhibits to feature just the eight planets, or do we include the dwarf planets?" Jones said. Jones said yesterday's new OSC poll question, `Will you miss Pluto?' has generated a tremendous response.

"Some people are very nostalgic. But ... we can still love Pluto just as much." 

Heh. Pluto, you will still have a place in my heart! You are a cold, tiny ice-planet that takes 248 years to orbit the sun, but inhabitants of a warm, water-covered planet still hold affection for you!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 12:22:39 am »

A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to whomever can CJ that Achewood comic for me. Ray says something about Pluto ain't bein' no planet at all, it's just a pissed off piece of snow. I thought that was particularly appropriate given the recent news concerning Pluto's non-status as a planet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5282440.stm


http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282004
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 01:04:02 am »

I am very distressed by this.  I understand that there is no reasonable definition of planet that lets in Pluto and not a lot of other stupid things.  But tradition is also important. There is no reason the definition can't have, like, a grandfather clause or something like that.

Just another reason I hate academics.

You think YOU'RE distressed?  Imagine the Astrologists!  What will they do now?! 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 02:17:21 am »

I'm lobbying for Pluto and Charon to team up and get admitted to the Solar System again as some sort of binary planet-equivalent system. USE YOUR POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, PLUTO AND CHARON! YOU CAN WORK TOGETHER!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 02:25:52 am »

I'm lobbying for Pluto and Charon to team up and get admitted to the Solar System again as some sort of binary planet-equivalent system. USE YOUR POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, PLUTO AND CHARON! YOU CAN WORK TOGETHER!

It was suggested before, but Pluto is against the idea.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 03:59:42 am »

I'm kind of surprised that this has been such a big news item.

But perhaps I shouldn't be.  It seems as if every kid that has ever been has had a childhood interest in the solar system.  For me, the wonder of space greatly trumped the wonder of the world of the dinosaurs.  I doubt I was in the majority, but if a dinosaur species would be reclassified, no way would it be headline news.

Anyway, I wonder if the kids today are still interested in the reaches of space and the history of the earth and all that childhood science, or is all their thinking tied up in da new shit.  Will, "I wonder how big is space?" be replaced by, "I wonder how fast I will be able to download Snakes on a Plane?"
"How long will I have to wait to get a cell phone?"
"Oooo, I wonder how sharp the picture quality will be on my new cell phone."

I dunno.  I don't have young children, nor am I willing to speak with them.



Only while typing this post have I realized the irony of doing reports on the universe in a catholic school.
Logged
ACHIEVE

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 05:03:12 am »

You think YOU'RE distressed?  Imagine the Astrologists!  What will they do now?! 
Well, I guess they will still keep on doing whatever sells Astrology columns in the newspaper, as Bloomberg writes:
Quote from: Bloomberg
Astronomers have banished Pluto to second-class status. Not so astrologists: They're sticking up for the celestial body that had been the smallest planet in our solar system for 76 years.

``I'm going to continue using it,'' said Wall Street's best-known astrologer, Arch Crawford, who has studied the effect of the planets on the Dow Jones Industrial Average. ``They can stick it where the sun don't shine,'' Crawford, 65, said.

The International Astronomical Union's decision yesterday to relegate Pluto to the status of ``dwarf'' planet makes no difference to astrologers, who use planetary positions to predict earthly and human events. About 31 percent of Americans believe in astrology, according to a 2003 Harris Poll of 2,201 adults.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aEzSuJuMfbjk&refer=home
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 11:19:48 am »

Well, I guess they will still keep on doing whatever sells Astrology columns in the newspaper, as Bloomberg writes:

Well it's good to see they're as relevant as ever.  I mean, I was really worried there for a second! 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 12:35:33 pm »

Whether kids are interested or not, I feel sorry for all the school systems that now have obsolete textbooks, posters, models etc. that they can't really afford to replace. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 02:16:18 pm »

Whether kids are interested or not, I feel sorry for all the school systems that now have obsolete textbooks, posters, models etc. that they can't really afford to replace. 

A good sharpie and a few hours of giving those kids a colouring project could fix that though. 

"Teacher, what's this black blob after Neptune?"

*Teacher hits the Independant Thought Alarm*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 02:23:12 pm »

Oh yeah, like schools don't already have obsolete or completely incorrect textbooks.

Something tells me that Pluto's planetude will remain in question for some time to come.  It'll just be one of those things people constantly debate even in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence, like evolution, the existence of the Holocaust, or whether the Nepalese are genetically inferiour to the Dutch.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 06:23:02 pm »

Medium Large has had some good Pluto strips.  Though some of them might have been metaphors.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up