Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Most-hated chore/responsibility?  (Read 17604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:16:13 am »

Dammit, I must force myself to drive to the landfill and dispose of my rubbish or else I'll have to get up early tomorrow and do it.

Anybody else have chores or responsibilities that are their most-hated? Jesus, I wish I had a boyfriend/husband/whatever who would take it out for me. That's the downside of living in rural Alaska. I cannot just tote out my rubbish bin to the sidewalk curb on Tuesday mornings like I could in Denver, Bloody Mary in hand.

No. That would be too easy.

Here, as part of my tough-Alaskan-woman training I guess, I have to load a fully-laden rubbish bin into the back of my truck, drive out to the landfill that is permeated with awful smell, gulls, ravens, and bald eagles, and then back up to the residential-rubbish-area and heave the bags into the bins. Yucky garbage-juice runs freely there, and you have to tbe super careful to roll up your pant legs or else risk getting them disgustingly soiled. Ravens dive bomb your head and threaten to peck out your eyes. It is terrifying, disgusting, and smelly. I HATE IT.

LANDFILL, I HATE YOU. Most annoying of chores. However...it could be worse. At least we HAVE a landfill, I guess. Also...At least we have indoor plumbing and a sanitary system here. In other villages, they use chamber pots and God only knows where they empty them. Digging a septic tank can be done if there is equipment to pump it out annually or whatever. Ew.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 01:25:12 am »

I have to go to the dump tomorrow, but I don't really mind.  It's actually one of my least detested chores.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 01:49:45 am »

I would rather go to a dump than do anything that involves making a phone call.   
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 02:16:05 am »

I'll freely admit: I really dislike doing dishes in the sink because I have an irrational fear of reaching into murky water and cutting myself on a knife. The dishwasher is fine, and washing dishes with full visibility of the task is fine, but when you've got that huge sink of grody water? Ew, no.

Also, I don't like the working-with-raw-meat phase of cooking, which is deeply stupid given my work experience and love of animal-flesh consumption. It's a shame they haven't made a tiny guillotine device that will form hamburger patties; that would have me set for life.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 03:07:21 am »

I'll add another vote for washing up, but mostly because my sink is too low for me (OK, I'm too tall for the sink, I admit it) and so by about the fourth minute I am in paroxysms of spinal pain. Every time is like discovering a new type of pain, unknown to me previously.
I'm not especially fond of updating CMS software. It's really easy, though needs doing fairly often, but with the number of sites I have to do it for, and the knowledge that if one fails to take I will have to start screwing around, and potentially have to restore SQL databases and shit which can be a nightmare, it's suddenly a dreaded undertaking.
And waiting... I fuck*ng despise waiting, for anything. People to arrive, leaving for something so as not to arrive early... It just feels like wasted time, and I can't relax. I hate waiting. Not quite a chore I admit, but you know... I'd rather find chores to do instead!
There's probably a bunch of other chores I hate, but they're ones I just don't bother with anymore. I used to hate washing my car, but now I have a team of nubile women to do it for me.

They are a team. They synchronise.

I just don't wash it anymore. Hell, it rains.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 03:24:06 am »

I have to admit that I love water. When I was little, I used to wash everything from money to my dolls' clothes in the sink, because splashing around is a lot of fun. I still don't really mind doing dishes, but I'm totally with smells on this one. Murky grody water (heh, I love that word) is nizzasty. Nobody wants to be splashing around in that. I always rinse out all my dishes first (sort of like a pre-wash, I guess) and then I fill up the sink with hot water and dish soap and let them soak for a bit, then for a final scrub and rinse. Yay -- the kitchen is safe for democracy and you've got a clean plate for your toast the next morning. It's a win-win situation, really.

I have also found that like tidying up, doing dishes as you go is far better than letting them pile up. I try to avoid going to bed or leaving the house with dirty dishes in the sink. It's much easier if you just wash them as you go rather than wait for a huge, soul-crushing pile to congregate in the sink. That's just gross.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 04:19:01 am »

My most hated "responsibility" is wearing a seatbelt.

I don't give a shit how many lives it saves, I hate it to fuck*ng hell, and when an NYPD Seatbelt Patrol officer is walking up to my car there is nothing more I want in the world than to see the skin being burnt off his child-like, teenage face.
Logged
ACHIEVE

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 05:08:00 am »

My most hated "responsibility" is wearing a seatbelt.

I don't give a shit how many lives it saves, I hate it to fuck*ng hell, and when an NYPD Seatbelt Patrol officer is walking up to my car there is nothing more I want in the world than to see the skin being burnt off his child-like, teenage face.

I hate wearing seatbelts too, but how is not wearing a seatbelt going to burn the skin off police officers' faces?

Fortunately I live in a small town and I know all our police officers anyway, so I'm sure they're just waiting to bust me driving around without one. I am waiting for the day. Our maximum speed limit is 30MPH anyway, fachrissakes, so even if I was cruising around in third gear and hit a brick wall, I am not sure how much damage it would do. OH WAIT, we dont' have a hospital or trauma center, just a clinic, so I probably wouldn't give a shit anyway. That and it takes at least 4 hours to get medevac'd to Anchorage on a GOOD day when the weather's good and the plane is ALREADY HERE.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 06:16:44 am »

We have a rule in our house, partly based on combined commercial-kitchen experience: NO KNIVES IN THE SINK. Knives lay behind the sink, or if no room is available there, behind the cutting board (which is only moved for cleaning). Also, we lived for two years in a house with no dishwasher, and couldn't afford to buy one. That really helps to engender a good set of dishwashing rules.
1) NO KNIVES IN THE SINK
2) I cook, you wash and dry.
3) We cook, one washes, the other dries. Call dibs.
4) Pans which enter the oven are allowed to soak. Nonstick pans are not allowed, when hot, to be rinsed. All other dishes are rinsed immediately after use.
5) Your coffee cup, you clean it.

That last one was mainly for me, because I would just set it in the sink and take care of it after dinner; the missus eventually began leaving her half-empty coffee somewhere on days I had to wash.

Most hated chore of the present day? I'm with wombie. As long as I don't have to talk to people on the phone, I'm fine. I'll even talk to people, but I bought a speakerphone specifically for "the on-hold scenario". I still hate it.

And I can't take my commute without bursts to 85. Luckily, I'm against traffic. Unluckily, it still takes 45 minutes in the morning and a full hour the way home.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 09:15:59 am »

I'm totally with smells on this one. Murky grody water (heh, I love that word) is nizzasty.

Heh - she thinks I'm V.  I'm complimented.  Unless "I'm with smells" now just refers to any female poster...

Chores I hate:  - throwing out food past its prime that got lost in the back of the fridge, cleaning up cat puke, not the dishes -I don't mind them - but, when doing the dishes, discovering a layer of fermented/sour/stank/slimy food stuffs that glues/suctions two bowls/plates/items to each other, discovering a small dead animal/bird and dealing with/avoiding it, and cleaning a car's interior (so awkward!) are my top peeves.

Yeah.  There's a few chores I just don't do - mostly the litter and cleaning the tub, but both these are because of bad joints, though I don't want to do the littler anyway.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 11:18:20 am »

Unless "I'm with smells" now just refers to any female poster...

Smells is TOUAMB's "Q Prime", the female from which all other females are derived.

I find paying rent/bills to be a chore.  Not in the classic sense, but more in the "good god I hate writing checks" sense. 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 02:26:31 pm »

Vacuuming, because, like cats, I am terrified of loud noises.

Changing sheets on my bed after washing them, because OCD makes this much more difficult and time-consuming than it should be (I also make the bed every night before I go to sleep).

Cleaning up dog piss all over the house, because, obviously, it's gross.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 02:52:55 pm »

hm. my least favorite chore for a long time was washing dishes. We have a dishwasher... but you have to wash everything off of them before using it. I realize that this does not make sense.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 04:09:10 pm »

Changing sheets on my bed after washing them, because OCD makes this much more difficult and time-consuming than it should be (I also make the bed every night before I go to sleep).

Oh god, changing the sheets...
I've kind of gotten it down to a fine art now, but it still means spending five minutes waving a double-sized duvet around the room, and shaking corners out, and throwing pillows at walls, and rolling around on a mattress so as to tuck the sheet in. There are occasions on which I forget to not shower before I change the sheets.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Most-hated chore/responsibility?
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 08:10:38 pm »

Thanks, Choop, I'm going to have to remember those. Just keeping the knives out of the goddamn sink seems like the most sensible plan (since when the hell would you ever need to soak a knife?), but sometimes it's difficult to convince the lizard brain of such things.

See, I love vacuuming, because it feels so clean and efficient in terms of time spent. Ten minutes of pushing a machine around, and damn! My floor is totally clean! You can even see the little stripes of cleanliness as you make progress, which is extremely great. I like doing the laundry for the same reason; while it requires skill, the effort required in most situations is negligible, and the results are wonderfully clean and delicious. That said, doing it in the dorm environment (having to carry your laundry up and down three flights of stairs, having to constantly patrol the stairways because underwear might have fallen out of your crappo laundry hamper, having to wait because there are only two washers for a building of 50 people, spending $2.50 a load for the privilege of damp laundry, &c.) is a freaking asspain, and I can't wait to have my own laundry facilities so I can do this right.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up