Dude...Muse, I'm not knocking you for eating that way. The system is set up for everyone to eat that way. Unless you've got a ton of money, it's difficult to get healthy food or avoid factory farmed meat. It's really sad, but it's true.
The post-industrial society that we live in means that there's a huge disconnect between the end consumer and where stuff actually comes from. It comes with the territory, but I just think that's weird. I remember reading in a Childcraft book when I was like 6 years old, and it said that flour came from wheat. I was confused. I thought, "what the hell is wheat?" It sounds funny now because we're in the Information Age and I could probably pull up a bazillion photos of wheat and flour milling operations in half a second, but in 1984 I had never seen wheat before, and I had no idea how it became flour.
I mean...isn't our crazy agribusiness model the reason why the US had so much food, but Russia had hardly any? Americans were getting clogged arteries from Wonder Bread and pork and processed cheez food, and Russians had to stand in line for days to get a loaf of bread? All that stuff is going to come at a price, sooner or later. Maybe we'll invent a way out of the hole we're digging for ourselves? For example, trawling the oceans might produce high profits and high yields now, but by 2048 when there's no more wild seafood to be had and all the benthic habitats are destroyed...well, people might sing a different tune by then. Have fun with your farm-raised salmon with sea lice.