OK, to keep this forum from devolving to just a booklist. Or comic book list, as it were, I thought I'd serve us up a little topic for discussion.
What are the elements of humor? What makes something funny?
I know, I know, you can't describe it. I think it was Theolonius Monk who said "Writing about music is like tap dancing about architecture." Theorizing about humor is probably subject to the same criticism.
But I want to do it anyway.
Here are a few things that make for "teh funnay."
The unexpected. Much of the genius of Monty Python was their use of the absurd and the unexpected. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Cleverness. Arranging words or ideas in a way that allows for new insight. Conveying a thought in a witty or artful manner.
Tragedy. Comedy is tragedy plus time. Or distance -- i.e. If I fall on the sidewalk and scrape my knee, that's tragedy. If you slip on a banana peel and break your leg, that's comedy. Slapstick.
Honesty. I think one of the reasons comedy is so valuable and rewarding is that it often is the best method to communicate the truth of a situation. I understand war better from Catch-22 than from any documentary I've ever seen on The History Channel.
I think this is an area where Achewood excels. Onstad has created well-defined characters and he stays true to them. Granted, they are comic strip characters, but they're very much real people. How many people have known a Todd in their lives. Or Lyle. The characters are funny because we recognize traits from the folks around us. Then the characters say things and do things that logically follow from those realistic traits.
That's why a "comedian" like Bob Hope wasn't really funny. His gags were based on stereotypes and half-truths. Heh, heh, women are bad drivers. Huh, huh, politicians are crooked. Nothing unexpected, no relevance to any real human traits.
Plus, Achewood has a cat that wears a thong.
I'll shut up now.