Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Steve Irwin Is Dead  (Read 14105 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Steve Irwin Is Dead
« on: September 04, 2006, 04:09:17 pm »

So yeah, the Crocodile Hunter is dead. Thoughts?

CNN Article.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 04:15:14 pm »

It's sad that he is leaving a wife and two young children behind, but, considering his line of work, I suspect they were prepared for it to happen at any time.  I must say, though, that being pierced by a stingray through the heart is just about the manliest way to go I can imagine.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 04:30:19 pm »

Damn. It just isn't right for a bloke to go out when the kids are so young. The thought of a loving father (crocodile incident aside) not being able to see his children grow up is the saddest thing.

Steve was a pretty regular fixture around the tea-time TV hour. Awesome dude. My kid brothers adored him, so they're a little shocked, even as young'uns go.

To be honest, I'm a little blue over this as well. It's just hard to imagine such a cheery dude appearing on your TV, brimming with energy, not being a part of this Earth anymore.

It's a cliche to say so, but at least he went out the way we (and probably he as well) expected him to. Mother Nature is a fickle bitch.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 05:02:41 pm »

Steve Irwin seemed to royally piss off my reptile-keeping colleagues.  I will be interested to hear their reaction.

But yeah, sad for his family but surely no one expected him to die in his bed at a ripe old age?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 05:17:29 pm »

  Creepy detail:
Quote
Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called The Ocean's Deadliest

 -Wikipedia, Steve Irwin
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 05:25:26 pm »

  The Ocean's Deadliest

So he was trying to stick his thumb up said stingray's ass.

I am sad for his family and such, but always had problems with the ways he worked. It really wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't purely a random incident.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 05:55:21 pm »

according to CNN, he was "filming a feature for his daughter's show."

ways you do not want to find out steve irwin is dead:

Quote from: Whiteboard across the hall from my room
"Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, Is Dead. Due to stingray to the chest. Ladies, if you need condolences, Jack is Here."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 06:03:36 pm »

At least they'll be able to have an open-casket funeral. From what I can gather, the stingray incident did not involve dismemberment or anything and the body is pretty much intact, which is not the way I expected him to die given the nature of his work.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 06:14:52 pm »

For anyone who hasn't found out more about stingrays, they seem to be fairly docile chaps most of the time, but don't take kindly to strangers giving them the willies. It's understandable, perhaps expected, that Steve would end up provoking one into an attack (it's what he does), but even then most stingray attacks are pretty painful but not life threatening. In this case, the barb just happened to go through his heart. Brave but unlucky man.

People have always joked about Irwin surviving tussling with crocs and then getting killed by some lesser beast; well, irony generally tends to happen a lot easier than people expect.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 06:25:05 pm »

I was refusing to get up this morning, after a night of strange dreams and tossing and turning, and my SO was dry humping me in that special way that he knows annoys the hell out of me (a sure fire way to drive me from the bed) when the announcement that the Crocodile Hunter is dead from a getting stung in the heart by a stingray came over the radio, and I exclaimed "Crickey!  I think this one's killed me!"  For somereason this had both of us laughing pretty hard.  It bought me a few more hours of sleeping in, but I'm still pretty sleepy.

What I am saying is that in the scheme of my life the Crocodile Hunter has been nothing but a punchline.  What I am saying is that I am not always compassionate, and that sometimes dead pseudo-celebrities are good for a laugh.  

Sorry to all you folks who are being all kind and sentimental about the guy.  I am a cold-hearted harbinger of haggis sometimes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 06:26:23 pm »

Honestly when I first heard this reported (before the stingray barb detail was known), I expected it to have been in a car accident or something similarly mundane.

In general, though, I guess I should file my thoughts under "slightly bummed but not surprised in the least."  Also: "Now he can't endanger his son any more."
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 06:55:16 pm »

It's understandable, perhaps expected, that Steve would end up provoking one into an attack (it's what he does), but even then most stingray attacks are pretty painful but not life threatening. In this case, the barb just happened to go through his heart. Brave but unlucky man.

I had a friend who went away to Syracuse on an exchange program because of the Lockerbie bombing (our high school and the university or some such). For one of the courses he did while there, a bunch of them went to Jamaica, groups doing various things. One of the guys he met there went on diving while there and got a stingray barb through the lower leg. It was very much non-fatal, as the toxin really isn't much, but the barbs will just go through anything. Dry/wet suits, bone, flesh... That is, an entire torso for instance.
Pretty painful might be an understatement.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 07:28:50 pm »

He is totally kicking it in heaven with the Grizzly Man right now.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 07:34:04 pm »

  What I am saying is that I am not always compassionate, and that sometimes dead pseudo-celebrities are good for a laugh. 

  You're not the only one.


  ...Also: "Now he can't endanger his son any more."

  Bingo!
  "Steve, why are you handing me a dead chicken?"
  "Don't call our son that luv."
  "Steve!"
  "Oh shi..."
  Sorry, I've been supressing that one for years...
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 07:36:34 pm »

He is totally kicking it in heaven with the Grizzly Man right now.

  I've read that Treadwell imitated an Australian accent at one point.
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up