Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steve Irwin Is Dead  (Read 14097 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2006, 10:46:22 pm »

To summarize:
Gallows humour == Good, semi-contructive way of dealing with the shock of our own mortality

'He was a tool who deserved to die' == such as a douche.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 12:04:09 am »

Reporting back from the local crocodile community: My old boss said that what he hated about Steve Irwin was that he gave people the idea that this was how THEY should behave towards animals.  He recalled hearing that the snakebite rate in Australia had gone up since Irwin's shows started airing because people thought it would be cool to walk up to a snake and grab it like they saw on TV. He admitted that he didn't remember the source of this claim and that it would be impossible to prove cause and effect. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2006, 03:30:48 am »

If someone died because they did something that they saw a professional do on television, I'd say that's a problem that takes care of itself.  Darwin would be pleased.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2006, 03:41:02 am »

I'm going to go out on a limb and blame that one on tourists. I've lived in major cities (more or less) all my life but I (and I  think most people who grow up here) know that if you see a snake you leave it the hell alone except maybe to hit it with a shovel. Depending on the snake of course.
I don't know how things have changed but when I was coming up through primary school they taught us abit about different spiders and snakes and that. Mind you there hasn't been a death from a red-back bite (one of the most common poisonous aussie spiders) in this country since before I was born, not sure about snakes.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2006, 03:43:54 am »

Does this mean no one will mourn the death of that clench-jawed asshat behind World's Wildest Police Videos? Or any sort of gonzo journalism that may inspire some half-wit teenager to emulate the antics? I'll tell you what, I have more respect for Irwin for teaching us the beauty of nature, rather than World's WIldest Police Videos for incessantly portraying police as a never-wrong paladin crusader, and thus instill fervent belief in a police state and make it seem somehow deviant to question our law enforcement and laws, as any good democracy truly requires.

So FUCK YOU, World's Wildest, FUCK the FUCK out of YOU.


Logged

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2006, 06:55:53 pm »

Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2006, 07:16:57 pm »

Why am I not suprised. ::)

I suspect that now stingray attack histeria will replace (or compliment) shark attack histeria.  Death to all stingrays!!!

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2006, 02:24:35 am »

Holy shit, Paul.  You called it.  I'm most surprised at the fact that the dude had fans that rabid.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2006, 03:23:26 am »

I'll take 'assholes who missed the point' for 100 please larry.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2006, 04:01:51 am »

I'll take 'assholes who missed the point' for 100 please larry.

Was that directed at me?  I realize that what I predicted isn't exactly what you reported, but it's in a similar vein.  Who is Larry?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Irwin Is Dead
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2006, 04:57:34 am »

Woh, no no. I meant the people cutting tails of stingrays man, as in they missed Irwin's entire message.
There's a quote around somewhere of him saying that his biggest fear was that if he was killed by a croc it would be his own fault and he'd hate for people to get a big hate on and hysteria for crocs. I assume the same goes for stingrays, therefore people who are offing stingrays miss the point.

Larry is a fiictional name for a game show in which I have to pic a category and I chose to answer questions about people who miss the point, I'm thinking it's a jepardy style show and my first answer is 'People who cut up stingrays out of hysteria and spite' and I would reply 'Who are total assholes?' and then I would win.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up