Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke  (Read 1694 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« on: September 04, 2006, 07:10:48 pm »

I just read this book, and it is one of the few books I feel fall into the "total garbage" catagory. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:20:58 pm »

I'm of mixed feelings about Chuck Palahniuk.  He is capable of some interesting cultural analysis, and he can write an interesting recursive plotline.  But I think he's gotten a little too fascinated with shock value for it's own sake.

I just read Invisible Monsters and found it just about worthless.  I liked Choke a little better.  I don't have a problem with the shock value stuff he puts in his books.  SEX!  VIOLENCE!  DRUGS!  SUICIDE!  I'm no prude.  But there has to be some actual plot and character development in there with it, otherwise it's just boring.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 07:45:22 pm »

    I don't have a problem with the shock value stuff he puts in his books.  SEX!  VIOLENCE!  DRUGS!  SUICIDE!  I'm no prude.  But there has to be some actual plot and character development in there with it, otherwise it's just boring.

   You know, I've never read this author but your description sounds like the reason I find myself reading very little modern literature...
   Of course, if you go all the back to Roman literature you run into the same problem, so maybe these things go in cycles.
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 07:59:27 pm »

See, I suppose I'm pretty numb to that sort of stuff, since none of it really crossed my radar as "shock value."  The reason I didn't like it was because I felt that it was basically written in ready-to-translate-to-film format, and also the the twist at the end was so much like Fight Club that I just couldn't be bothered.  If I want to see a movie, I go see a movie.  If I want to read a book, I want to read a book, ya know?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 08:20:09 pm »

The reason I didn't like it was because I felt that it was basically written in ready-to-translate-to-film format, and also the the twist at the end was so much like Fight Club that I just couldn't be bothered.  If I want to see a movie, I go see a movie.  If I want to read a book, I want to read a book, ya know?

Yeah, that too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 08:50:48 pm »

I've never read Paklahniuk, but thanks for the heads up -- it doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 09:43:11 pm »

I like him.
Despite the nastiness you can find in some of his writing, there is also some real beauty, and it's so much about the interpersonal, character stuff... I tend to describe him as a modern Douglad Coupland. I'm not alone, I know a few people who enjoy his books, including my mother.
I would recommend Survivor, followed by Lullaby before any of his other work. Though Diary I enjoyed, despite it being pretty fucked up.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:02:39 am »

I was just about to ask about Lullaby, I've never read his stuff (besides fight club) but I've had lullaby recommended to me before.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 01:41:31 am »

I would recommend Survivor, followed by Lullaby before any of his other work.

Haven't read either of those, so I'll try them.  Fight Club was great, and I did think Choke had some redeeming value.  I'm not dismissing the guy, just commenting on what I'd noticed about the last two of his novels I'd read.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 03:45:34 am »

Lullaby was pretty cool. Fight Club was awesome. But, um, yeah. I get grossed out by his facts.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Paklahniuk - Choke
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 07:33:37 am »

I thought Fight Club was horrible, but I loved Diary.  I have no desire to ever read anymore of his books, but if I like come across one I guess I would read it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up