Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: World War 2 history  (Read 4770 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
World War 2 history
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:38:22 pm »

If anyone here's interested in this kind of thing…
I've just read two of Antony Beevor's books about the Russian front: Stalingrad and Berlin 1945. That left me with a 2-year gap between the two events, from Feb 1943 to Feb 1945, and now I want to know what shenanigans were Stalin, Beria, Kruschev and the rest of the wacky gang up to at the time.
Any recommendations?
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:59:27 pm »

If anyone here's interested in this kind of thing…
I've just read two of Antony Beevor's books about the Russian front: Stalingrad and Berlin 1945. That left me with a 2-year gap between the two events, from Feb 1943 to Feb 1945, and now I want to know what shenanigans were Stalin, Beria, Kruschev and the rest of the wacky gang up to at the time.
Any recommendations?

I've been reading Stalingrad. Well, haven't read any in a while now, as I wasn't going to finish it in time to return it to my friend when I was there, and it's a bit hefty for a third airplane book.
Anyway, I don't really know of anything, except Antony Beevor has just released a book of the letters Stalin and Truman sent each other. Doesn't cover anything pre-'45 I assume, but might be of interest. I want to check it out at some point.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 05:07:26 pm »

Hm, I'm an historian, but an Americanist, so the literature I know tends to be very US-centric.  Try reading the endnotes in Beevor's books and see if one reference jumps out at you time and time again. 

I'm guessing you'll run across David Glantz, he's pretty well-known.  However, I haven't personally read his stuff so I couldn't tell you which of his many books would be the best choice.  He's quite prolific.  Avoid Stephen Ambrose, he's a great writer but I don't trust his scholarship. 

If you're a student, you can probably get access to Google Scholar through your university library website, and that could point you to a journal or two that might give you a lead on an author whose style you like. 

WWII history is sort of a matter of taste, you can narrow down to military, political, cultural or social and still have plenty to choose from. 

Let me know what you find, for my own edification if nothing else.  And if you're into US diplomacy I can give you some good titles in that area. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 05:44:44 pm »

Here's my thought on World War Two:

Does anyone else get this feeling that... it kind of hard-wired something ultimately bad into the American culture?

Since "we" won the last big transregional war on a combination of national sacrifice and the dark magic of the atom, there's this... collective subconscious feeling that we're, like, just the good guys. Just always the good guys and World War Two proved it... and it's this kind of cultural brain damage that we haven't recovered from...

Like we learned the wrong lesson from World War Two.

Like instead of learning that war is this giant soulless awful thing that must only be done in direct self-defense and through tremendous sacrifice from the top down... which actually was the truth... instead we sort of just came to the conclusion that we're the good guys all the time and World War Two horror just keeps getting... vomited back up over and over again anytime we're fighting for the wrong reasons.

As though we lost for winning. I don't know. It's something that crosses my mind all too often lately.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 06:15:29 pm »

A compelling argument, but it assumes no Korea, no VietNam, and no Persian Gulf, part 1 (technically a "police action.") 

There is an historical argument that the U.S. always fights the previous war.  WWII was fought based on the lessons learned during (mostly after) WWI about appeasement and secret alliances.  Korea was fought in an attempt to prevent another incarnation of WWII.  VietNam, like Korea, was a product of the Cold War mentality, but the way in which it was fought hinged on lessons learned in Korea, mainly the stuff about "winning hearts and minds."  Many would argue that the current war on terror is a way of compensating for the losses suffered in VietNam and re-asserting our cultural and moral superiority in the world. 

I think the parallels with VietNam are important, but should not be overstated.  I see the war on terror as the new Cold War.  There were a number of issues during the Cold War era that presidents of both parties grappled with, and which GWB and his successors (whoever they may be) will have to grapple with.  For one, how do you fight an ideology?  For another, how do you oppose groups through military force when those groups are adept at (and prefer) non-military tactics? 

I should state for the record that IANAMH (I am not a military historian).  I don't know the details of every battle fought on foreign soil.  My studies tend towards the cultural and occasionally the political, but insofar as foreign policy has an impact on domestic life, the United States' place in the world has changed significantly since WWII.  I think there was for many years a sense that "we" -- Americans, the unit -- would always be the men in white hats, but I think VietNam, Watergate, Iran-Contra, and however many other deceptive, immoral, or just downright evil actions perpetrated by our government have changed that.  Maybe I'm a cynic, or maybe I'm naive, but I don't think people had the same faith in government even six years ago that they had sixty years ago. 

They certainly had plenty of faith in the thirties when Roosevelt all but handed us over to the commies.  But you don't have to take my word for it.*

*I heard Jonathan Alter speak last night at school.  He was pretty fascinating and I was a total fangirl.  So buy his book.  It's awesome.   
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:26:17 pm »

Does anyone else get this feeling that... it kind of hard-wired something ultimately bad into the American culture?

Since "we" won the last big transregional war on a combination of national sacrifice and the dark magic of the atom, there's this... collective subconscious feeling that we're, like, just the good guys. Just always the good guys and World War Two proved it... and it's this kind of cultural brain damage that we haven't recovered from...

Actually it's been hard-wired into the American culture from the git-go, since John Winthrop's "shining city on a hill" speech.  As a people, we tend to be convinced that we're morally and technologically superior to other countries.  Which worked out nicely for us in WWII but makes us particularly ill-suited to confront a culture like militant Islam. 

Loren Baritz's Backfire is about Vietnam, but it's a good read for someone interested in how our national attitude sometimes leads into situations where we get our asses chewed off.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 07:26:13 pm »

we learned in my psych class today that Americans are wired to always think that things are getting better, Europeans are wired to think that things are always getting worse, and East Asians (in the study, actually, just Chinese) are wired to think that everything is staying the same. Huh. (it made me feel better that Europeans are just as fucked up as us. you know.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:52:20 pm »

Europeans are wired to think that things are always getting worse

Well, at least we're being realistic.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 06:52:26 pm »

Hey cool, I thought this thread had been buried forever...

Thanks JL, I checked Glantz's bibliography, he seems to be quite the specialist on Eastern Front matters. I just need to find the right book, one that focuses on the Russian campaign as a whole, and not so much on specific operations and events.

IANAMH (I am not a military historian) either, not even a historian, and I'm not that interested in pure military stuff. What draws me to war history is how it culturally affects peoples and places and how it (re)shapes what comes after... For example, I've also been curious about post-war Germany and how a division that was forced upon a country "sedimented" along the years and established two distinct identities (if so).

It's Hollywood's fault that I became interested in WWII in the first place, I admit. But I started looking for Eastern Front accounts after becoming a little tired of always seeing the American side of the story, and realizing there was this whole other aspect of the conflict, this whole people who basically got the roughest deal in the affair (not to undervalue the suffering of other peoples involved, mind you...)

Anyway, a couple of years ago, during the 60th anniversary of the D-Day landings, I started spotting comments here and there on the lines of the invasion of Normandy's main purpose actually being to secure Europe from getting completely snatched by Stalin... rather than freeing it from the evil Nazis and whatnot. Is that a valid historical interpretation nowadays?
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 07:30:31 pm »

Normandy's main purpose actually being to secure Europe from getting completely snatched by Stalin... rather than freeing it from the evil Nazis and whatnot. Is that a valid historical interpretation nowadays?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 07:38:08 pm »

My favorite WWII history is My Three Years With Eisenhower by Harry Butcher, Ike's naval aide and companion.  Butcher was a magazine editor and CBS Vice-President who accompanied Eisenhower all over Africa and Europe serving as a media advisor and general pal.  It's more of a personal history, but it does give some unique insight into the highest levels of command and to Eisenhower's personality.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 05:51:47 am »

I don't have much to say about WWII history but I am pleased that IANAMH (I Am Not A Military Historian) was used twice in the thread with the explanation that makes it actually longer both times. Keep up this shenanigan!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 06:10:55 am »

this reminds me-- in my latin textbook (actually, both The Student's Catullus and Caesar: 55 and 54 BC Expeditions to Britain) uses the abbreviation "Tr."

As far as I can tell, this is supposed to be short for "try."

[quote D.A.S. John (Ed.)]

rursus coniuratione facta: Tr. 'renewed their oaths to stand together'

[/quote]

what else could this mean? why would they tr. to abbreviate this word?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 06:27:25 am »

Translation?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: World War 2 history
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 06:30:48 am »

hm. That would make so much sense, but they often seem like really inaccurate translations.

...that's probably what it is. Damn. This is like when I couldn't figure out what "natch" meant.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up