Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: September 11th - Five years later  (Read 6462 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 05:44:56 am »

Yeah I did that too when I was a kid. Getting to look inside the cockpit is awesome, it seems a shame it wouldn't be allowed to happen today. It does seem like things are going a bit far though, I know we can't put a price on human life etc but there needs to be some sort of effectiveness vs. inconvenience spectrum, for instance outlawing all air travel would be almost 100% effective but would be terribly inconvenient, I think we need to make sure we do not get too close to this outcome.
If it were not against all sorts of laws I'd love to start my own airline where the only rule is that the pilot door locks at the beginning of the flight and no matter what it doesn't open again, even if someone slaughtered every cute little kid on board that door cannot be opened but you can bring on whatever you like. Our slogan would be "You're on your own."
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 05:47:05 am »

I was away from home.  I'd been sent to my employer's office in Jackson, MS the previous day, and I'd stayed until about 11 fixing various problems and running various processes that can only happen when people aren't working.  As per my usual routine for working in remote offices, I bought two new CDs for the trip, but I hadn't put them in on the way out.  I groggily got up early, flipping on ESPN on the hotel TV while I showered.  When I got out there was a live cut-in talking about how a 'small plane' may have hit the WTC.

I switched to a network while I got dressed, and watched as the local morning show got a feed of the burning tower.  At that point they basically got off the air and let the New York studios handle it. 

I still had a job to do, so I went to get breakfast at Chik-fil-A.

After breakfast I was walking back to my office through a 'skybridge' type system when I saw a TV in one of the offices with a lot of people crowded around.  I paused outside the glass wall and watched the first tower fall; I guess it was live.  The strangers inside stopped talking to each other.  One lady was crying, I remember.  I started feeling numb -- I knew this was a world-changing event, but I didn't want to admit that yet.

I got to work -- late -- and just started going through my trouble tickets, doing my best to resolve them because they just would have sent me back later.  The secretaries were all nervous, because we were next door to the federal building.  Even numbed, I remember thinking "Jackson fuck*ng Mississippi is probably not on the threat list," but I just nodded gravely.  Most people either went home early or were staring out the windows.

Sometime during the day I realized I was just plain angry.  Angry at having to be in Jackson, away from my family.  Angry at whoever did this.  Angry at the sensationalism that was already surrounding the news coverage.  Angry that there were people willing to exploit this.  Angry at the people on the call in shows demanding horrible things be done to 'those arabs.'  I ended up clocking out at around 3 PM and starting the drive back home.  I listened to radio coverage until I was out of range of the tower.  I hated the news but couldn't stop until distance forced me.

I put in my new CD, All that you can't leave behind.  I'd heard "Stuck in the moment" before, but something in it grabbed me that day -- I ended up listening to it and the title track over and over as I drove.  It seemed to let some of the anger out. 

When I stopped for gas in some exit-ramp town, there were a lot of people there, but I didn't think too much of it.  When I got into cell-phone signal range again, I called my parents.  My Mom was telling me that people were scared that there wouldn't be any gas, and the stations were jacking up prices ("Almost one eighty a gallon some places!"), and I'd better get a full tank because places were running out, and "OPEC might cut us off because of this."  Mom listens to call-in shows.  I tried to calm her down, but the rush at the gas station in East Nowhere, AL suddenly made sense.

By the time I got home, the anger, sadness, and numbness had all collected in a lump somewhere near my diaphragm.  It took a few weeks for it to dissapate.  I remember the hubbub over postponing the football season a week, because the NADA had booked the Superdome for the week after the Super Bowl.  I remember the collective "is it okay to laugh again?" vibe that surrounded entertainment then.  I remember The Onion's incredible work, that seemed (to me, at least) to break the ice*.

Now, well, I'm not going to say the terrorists won, but it's tough to find someone that isn't an oil company or Haliburton that did win.  I'm not going to point out anything but the irony that we were all concerned about gas that cost $1.80.  The rest has been said more eloquently in a variety of forums.  As bad as I thought it was then, I didn't imagine what would actually happen.  I don't see how anyone could think the world is in a better position now.  Great.

* Especially this article, which should be repeated more often.

(edit: fix'd link - side_show)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:20:29 pm by side_show »
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 07:25:11 am »

I was in high school.  Many kids figured the school was a possible target, being the largest Catholic high school in New York.

I took the bus home and it was extremely delayed.  On the ride, I got a seat and fell asleep listening to the Chili Peppers's Blood Sugar Sex Magik.






The next school day was cancelled and on the first day back, there was a building-evacuating bomb threat.  Missed hella class.
Logged
ACHIEVE

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 07:33:17 am »

That was a huge event, but at the time I really didn't care.  My mom woke me up when the second plane hit and was freaking out.  I calmed her down and went to school.  As usual I skipped my AP History class, got high and smoked cigarettes.  At lunch I got some food.  After school I bought a bad Bob Dylan album and tried to buy the Strokes album (both came out that day).  Then I went to guitar lessons and drove to the city to try to find the Strokes album.  The guy at the record store said they had to ship them out because of New York City Cops, but he still had some vinyls.  I didn;t have a record player then, so I went home. 

The only reason I wrote all of this was to say that, in the 5th grade, the OKC Bombing happened.  I was standing outside of my portable classroom when we heard a horrible explosion.  About 20 miles away, the federal building had been bombed.  This was a much more traumatic event, as at least 3 people I knew lost parents in this bombing.  I ended up going to school with these people for like 13 years, that pretty much numbed me for the rest of my life.  Realizing you heard like 168 people being killed is a pretty fucked up thing for a 12 year old. 

I must say, I never really realized that when I saw the planes hit the towers that thousands of people were dying until about a year ago.  That was a pretty weird thing to not realize, and when I did realize it, it affected me greatly, but nothing on 9/11 moved me to any emotional response.  That happened later.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 12:37:15 pm »

I heard Carl Kasell on NPR announce the first attack, and turned on the TV to see the second plane hit live.  Like Jough I thought "That was not an accident."  The TV was so loud that my husband called down from upstairs "Is there a war going on down there or something?" and I said "Yes."

As long as I can remember I have had bad dreams of scary aircraft flying overhead.  Now looking back they seem like some kind of future echoes even though I know this is silly.  I have more of these dreams now.

When I go back to New York I take the train, and as you come close, you can see Manhattan out in the mists (I know, pollution) over the swamps of Jersey. This first time afterwards that I went, I couldn't find Manhattan in the distance, because the towers were gone.  It was oddly frightening.

When I am there now, I am sometimes disoriented in a way that my best friend there first pointed out on that visit - When you get out of the subway and you don't know which way is which, you always used to be able to look for the towers to see which way is south. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 09:16:16 pm »

I drove by the Pentagon maybe 15 minutes before the plane hit it.  I hadn't watched TV or listened to radio that morning, so I was blissfully unaware of what was happening in New York until I got to the office and someone said "Did you hear about the World Trade Center?"  I wonder about people who were on that road right as the plane came in--I imagine pulling over, getting out of the car, and just staring, trying to make sense of what just happened.

By noon the company had said "Anyone who needs to be somewhere else, go."  But because I was living back inside the Beltway, I couldn't really go anywhere, and before long I was the last one left on my floor.  I just sat there refreshing news sites and my e-mail, as the "I'm OK" messages came trickling in from friends in New York.  I even got an e-mail from an ex-girlfriend, who knew I worked as a defense contractor, worried that I'd been at the Pentagon.  I did have one NYC friend and one guy I knew was working at the Pentagon who were unaccounted for, but I heard from them within a day or two.

Mrs. del Vaca eventually loaded up the cat and drove out to my office, and then we drove out to her dad's place another hour or so away and spent the night there.

A couple weeks later, they finally reopened Washington Boulevard, which runs past that side of the Pentagon, a road I normally took on the way home.  Driving by and seeing this big gaping hole was, suffice to say, upsetting.  A gas station on the other side of the road became a de facto viewing area; people would park there and then walk up an embankment to gawk.

Sadly, five years later, I have to say the terrorists did win.  US out of Saudi Arabia?  Check.  Holy war with America in the Middle East?  Pretty much.  Americans scared shitless and acting irrationally?  Yep.  Disruptions to our way of life?  To a degree.  Actual safety improvements?  Not enough, too much cosmetic junk that doesn't really help, but makes us think something is being done. 

It makes me sad.  Thanks to Lister for posting that Onion article, it's a good one.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 11:46:49 pm »

I have started a post in this thread about three or four times now.
Suffice to say, I still don't really know how I feel about it. I remember getting back from town, after lunch, and being told to turn the TV on, not long after the first plane had hit, and before people were sure what was going on. I then spent most of the rest of the day in some level of shock and bafflement. Basically just fuck*ng angry at people who will, well... kill other people. I think levels of despair at the way the government would deal with it were probably already seaping in as well. Call me a cynic!
I remember speaking to my ex, who I'd broken up with only a month or so previously. We weren't exactly in a place where talking was good, but that evening we had one of the least fucked up conversations we'd had in a long time, and for a good four years after, as our shit just didn't seem to matter.
I guess what I feel really unsure of is how I feel about everything since. Things like the way the families of the victims have been ignored through nearly every stage of the rebuilding process and the memorial, the reporting we are now failry used to and of course, as mentioned, the governmental reaction to it all. I'm also dismayed at how someone as apparently smart as Bin Laden, whose speeches, when translated correctly tell of a man sickened by the needless death of thousands caused in the rest of the world, will lash out as a terrorist and end the lives of thousands, something which is never fuck*ng justifiable, for fucks sake. That goes for you too, George.
If anything I feel like what grief I feel over the, fuck, thousands of people who died needlessly, has been tainted.

I also have a strange outlook on it just from having been close enough to feel, in every sense of the word, the Lockerbie bombing, and it's aftermath. My mother worked for the Disaster Support group who helped variously, for years afterwards, and gave me yet more insight and made it very personal. And seeing the shambles that came of the 'justice' sought, and the profound lies believed by the majority of those seeking recompense of some sort for the loss of their loved ones, made me sick for years just thinking about it. Thus, I can understand completely how I hope some people involved more personally with the WTC event might feel - lied to, used and paraded for the fuck*ng media.

I'm still not sure if I got across any of the myriad things that go through my head when I think about it. My feelings on it are most certainly quite complicated, but suffice to say, I am just sickened, and forever will be, at the deaths caused, and the way it can be manipulated and used to cause yet more. And the fact it has kicked off, as many of you have mentioned, this climate of fear where the terrorists win by default, just by causing such disruption that it's barely worth hoping for safety anyway.
Bruce Schneier's blog often has a lot of incredibly smart things to say on the subject of the *cough* security measures being implemented and just how superficial they are, as well as it's success as far as terrorism is concerned.


Also, what I thought was a fantastic and touching The Show from zefrank today.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 12:33:32 am by slink »
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 02:13:07 pm »

I was at work, doing some shitty data-input routine, bored out of my skull. It was pretty early in the morning (I'm not feeling like checking what's the time difference between NY and Rio, but I remember it being the start of a bright and hot day just like it was in NY). We work in a gallery/mall type of building, with several different types of services being offered in contiguous spacious rooms - dentists, travel agencies, electronic apparel etc (I work in a student exchange program) - , and at some point in the morning someone from a neighboring room entered our office and told people to turn the TV on, quick. At the time we had only one tiny TV atop a metal rack stuck on the wall of a small cubicle, so we all went there, kinda elbowing each other, trying to avoid spilling coffee from our small plastic cups. And you can only imagine the amount of noise we got mixed with our news, being so distant from the epicenter of the attacks.

At the time I had a little bit of trouble grasping the importance of the event. My bosses, who work with some exchange offices in America, and who constantly travel to the US to the point of having a lot of friends there, were the ones who first realised how horrific the whole scenario was. Me, I knew close to zero about the towers, about their importance and symbolic significance, even about their massive presence and role in NYC's history and landscape.

Everybody was talking about an accident, a plane hit, and there were we, watching a catastrophe unfolding  live on TV like we already were used to, when the second plane appeared as a fast moving dot on the screen and slammed against the building before our eyes. We had nothing to compare that to, nothing to relate to it, it was just... for a while, for maybe one hour or two, as more mixed news came about cars exploding near the Capitol, a plane crashing on the **frigging Pentagon** and planes falling, we were just accepting the fact that it was the first strike, the beginning of all-out war against America. Everywhere I looked, dumb faces, mouths agape.

By the time the towers collapsed, it was already too much. We barely did any work for the remainder of the day. We basically followed the news, and called our partners in the US. I remember the internet that morning,  one of the first things to pop up in forums and blogs and news sites was speculation as to why september eleventh, and people digging particular relevant dates in the Muslim calendar; as tragedy piled upon tragedy (the hit, the trapped people, the fall, those unfortunate firefighters's plight etc), some news sites going down under excessive traffic.

Strange that, for me, full comprehension only hit this year. Thanks again to TV. They are running some specials about the event on cable, and I caught that documentary "New York: A Documentary Film", which has two chapters about the twin towers - one for their rise, one for their fall. I can't help but be fascinated by stories of human hubris, and I learned as in under a spell about "man's biggest construction since the pyramids", about that little magickal act performed by Phillipe Petit, that supremely delicate moment when the towers had just been finished. It was just fantastic, and then it all made sense to me: the World Trade Center really was the World. Trade. Center, exactly what the name meant.

My personal belief is that certain acts and situations, being so vastly larger than the individual person's experience, can only be considered acts with magick properties. The foundation of buildings has an old history linking it with human sacrifices - it's powerful stuff. In the documentary, a famous photographer ponders about the towers which seemed to link water and the sky - powerful messages, powerful symbols; 9/11 was a friggin' tarot card as it happened, and it could only have touched very old psychic channels in all who watched/experienced it, briefly awakening all that pre-Enlightenment mythical crap about Babel (wasn't the WTC the great hub for globalization? I assume there were contracts being made up there in almost every language conceived; didn't the casualties' nationalities paint a broad gradient of colors and ethnicities?).

What drove the point home this time to me was that the documentary showed so much street scenes, it grounded the experience for me in a very potent way. As long as I was watching it, I was in the streets of New York, and what an altogether unpleasant place to be at that time...

And, at the same time, I cannot finish this amorphous rambling without mentioning something: As I watched the documentary, I couldn't help but wonder about the planning of the attacks. Down to its minimal details (shredded documents pouring over people's heads as in a mockery of the transactions that took place in those buildings; the killing of the first wave of firefighters; make your own list), it looked like the darkest type of genius straight out of a James Bond movie. The type of foreseeing and planning that couldn't leave anything to chance. And that type of almost oniscient planning could not have failed to spot one of the defining effects  that the attacks would bring. I keep seeing this scene where some very hirsute, dirty men huddle in caves making sinister plans, and then one of them has this thought, this inevitable thought: "You now, I bet this thing is really gonna unite those guys". To a foreigner used to tales about the so-called New Yorker stolidness (which I assume it's a myth they take some pleasure in maintaining), few things are more awe-inducing (which means AWESOME) than the thought of that massive city railing itself with the most basic human purpose of aiding each other. I found the reports on how the city felt all of a sudden like this huge human space - where you could connect with a stranger crying in the subway, where people could volunteer to help sometimes with nothing more than buckets and the facade of urbanite irony was dropped for a while - very touching, the sense of people watching each other's backs.

In the end of the day, the 9/11 attacks were just a vicious backstabbing full of resentment - a tactical success, but a strategic mistake, which not only didn't advance Osama's cause, not by a longshot, but actually seems to have put a lot of the Muslim leaders against Osama Bin Laden, whom now they blame for letting loose a 600 pound gorilla on their backs -, the type of thing that makes one think of Lex Luthor throwing dirt at Superman's eyes, out of spite and without the resources to actually bring him down. Kindergarten terror tactics, only with a bigger budget and total lack of moral restraints.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 01:53:07 am »

Woke up this morning, I remember thinking how I was up way earlier than five years ago. 

I was walking into work at about the same time as the first tower was hit. 

Made some tea.  On my desk the local paper's front page's head line reads "More than half of Canadians blame U.S. foreign policy for 9/11."  I was feeling sort of melancholy and didn't have the energy to actually read the paper.  I avoided work and read up on information about my up coming trip.  I was handed a work-related documentary I had a four hour window in which to watch and return it.  I sat alone and watched this Holocaust documentary ( Hana's Suitcase if any of you know the book).  Watching a grown man cry, seeing the piles of suitcases, the piles of shoes, the piles of hair.  I kept myself from crying but sort of felt fragile all day.  My coworker came in and I cheered up, we goofed around, then started talking about the anniversary.  Got home, watched Condi Rice speaking live in Halifax about "evil in the world" - got annoyed that that sort of simplified jargon is for He-man movies, not real life.  Ate some cheesecake, worked on a grant application. 

I can't say anything's gotten better since that day, five years ago, but I can list so many things that have gotten worse.  I like my checks and deposits to balance, you know?  I like a delicate balance.  I want to believe in the possibility of a better world.  Of tolerance.   But sometimes, I just don't know.  On the bus today, a skinny brown skinned man of ancestry I was unsure of got on, and the lady sitting on the outside seat with the only inside seat unoccupied did her best to ignore him at the bus jostled and he struggled to stay standing, but wouldn't move for him to sit.  He looked at her hopefully, but said nothing as she ignored him and gave up.  I smiled at him and motioned at the half empty seat next to me, and the business man one seat over looked annoyed that he had to move his trench coat.  The man nearly fell into the seat as the bus turned a corner.  I swear I felt him radiate relief sitting there - the driver was one of those guys who rides the brakes hard.  I rang the bell, the bus driver slammed the breaks for my stop so I sort of half-ran to the front going with momentum to keep from falling over, got off.  The man smiled shyly at me through the window as the bus pulled past me.   I thought for a moment that maybe he had sad eyes though he was smiling, but his face was blurred as the window reflected the sky.  I was tempted to mouth "I'm so sorry," I don't know exactly why, but instead I just smiled shyly back, our eyes connected, or maybe it was the sky again, and the bus drove off.  And all I could think is "I'm so sorry."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: September 11th - Five years later
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 03:26:40 am »

The bit that still baffles me si that our governments seem happy to buy into our enemy's propaganda. Al Quaida and Jama Islamia etc. (spelling is for suckers) have about as much to do with Islam as the KKK and the war in Iraq have to do with Jesus. It's pure propaganda on their part used to sway over otherwise reasonably but religious human beings, or at least convince them to turn a blind eye. Our governments insisting that it's all tied back to Islam is just doing their job for them. We should be re-inforcing at every turn that this has nothing to do religion and everything to do with politics and power, terrorists don't care what religion we are, they care about where our military bases are and what countries we are imposing trade sanctions on, unfortunately while this is acknowledged from time to time it seems to be little more than lip service.
Gosh! (napoleon dynamite mood)
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up