Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack  (Read 6774 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

guns and cigarettes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09072006

I like where this is going, although there isn't a whole lot of funny going on here.

Also, Pat looks and seems different now that he's gay. Gays are level-headed.
Logged

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile

  I hate this new Pat!
   Come on Onstad, we know he's getting it in the can but that shouldn't result in brain damage!
   Sorry, rant over...
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

bonaparte

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile

Why are they upset?  Beef's been dead so many times he's probably worn an ass-groove in the couch in the afterlife.  Or does a Margeaux dog sighting mean the cat will die and go to a place from which return is not possible?  And why does taking it in the can mean that Pat starts shopping at J. Crew?
Logged

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile

   Come on Onstad, we know he's getting it in the can but that shouldn't result in brain damage!
Unless he had his head up his ass.

*badum-tsh*
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six

I didn't realize that was Pat at first ... I thought it was the chaplain that Beef mentioned.

Really, what the fuck is with this new Pat? I want him to complain about how he's missing "Trials of Honour" and how Ray and Beef are just being needlessly superstitious and GODDAMNIT A BARBER CUT ME OFF ON THE HIGHWAY HE WAS PROBABLY COMMITTING LEWD ACTS WITH HIS HAIR DRYER.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest

My suspicion is that Onstad just got tired of writing overblown-crank Pat and is letting him be calm and rational sometimes, at least as related to Ray and Beef. This strikes me as fair; crank!Pat must be totally exhausting to write.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a nacho-hair cop-out. I'm braced for major events at this point.
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

He is one of the dirtiest dudes.  This isn't too far off for him to show concern for the other cats.  And they are acting like Ray is going to die, so perhaps the getup is more for that issue -- he does say there must be preparations.

OR WE COULD WAIT A FEW DAYS AND SEEEEEEEEEEE
Logged
~

Color_Me_Brad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile

I didn't pay much attention to the words in this strip because I was distracted by Pat's new look.

He looks like the bassist from OK Go.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest

The whole arc is an excuse to see New Gay Pat.

"Magreaux" is French for "Macguffin."

ATTN CJ I SAID MACGUFFIN NOT MULLIGAN
Logged

Teldin

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile

The last two day's strips strike me as something extremely ominous. Not really funny, not really character-building, just sort of creepy, in a non-awesome-Nice-Pete sort of way, if that makes sense. It is like Onstad got an unpleasant reply to a Cancer & superAIDS hospital test and he is venting his fear with alive stuffed animals and talking cats.

And a Pat who is Polite and Reasonable?

These truly are the end times.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 12:58:57 pm »

I didn't pay much attention to the words in this strip because I was distracted by Pat's new look.

He looks like the bassist from OK Go.

Except without the wacky "Com-con" or spiral haircuts that guy usually sports. Which reminds me, why the hell hasn't that band ever released my favorite song of theirs on CD? Fuckers.

If I were Ray I'd be more worried about somehow becoming poor than dying. He's already been to hell and back.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 01:18:50 pm »

Nah, new Pat makes total sense, at any point in the history of Achewood of course Pat would love to be the guy who is sensible while someone is dying, this is responsibility wish-fulfillment for him.

Why has no one suggested Ray's ultimate fear? Diabetes people!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 01:29:38 pm »

See, I didn't take it that it was a gay-Pat thing.  I took it as a "this situation is so serious that even Pat knows to be calm."  But I was bothered by what appears to be a stubble-y receding hair line.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 01:44:23 pm »

The only way this storyline could have a successful conclusion would be if Ray really died and never came back.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 02:05:40 pm »

Yeah, I was a little unnerved by this strip. I mean, Onstad has artistic license to do whatever the hell he wants, and I am reminded of Jon Rosenberg getting pissed because he killed off one of his characters and his readers went insane. Part of his argument is that if people wanted to read something like Garfield, where shit stays the same all the time and nobody ever dies or goes away and is completely benign and safe...well, they sure as hell wouldn't be reading webcomics like Goats (or in our case, Achewood).

That being said, I feel a certain loyalty to the characters and it would be jarring or unsettling to say the least if one of the beloved characters died. ALSO, I am definitely unnerved by this recent change in Pat. However, a leopard ain't change its spots and I'm excited to see what direction 'Stad will take this one.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up